FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New travel restrictions to USA from India 4 May 2021, impacts on UA DEL/BOM flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2039096-new-travel-restrictions-usa-india-4-may-2021-impacts-ua-del-bom-flights.html)

WineCountryUA Apr 30, 2021 1:39 pm

New travel restrictions to USA from India 4 May 2021, impacts on UA DEL/BOM flights?

Biden administration to restrict travel from India starting Tuesday CNN

"On the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Administration will restrict travel from India starting immediately," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement on Friday. "The policy will be implemented in light of extraordinarily high COVID-19 caseloads and multiple variants circulating in the India. The policy will take effect on Tuesday, May 4."

The administration will issue a 212(f) order restricting entry into the US for foreign nationals who have been in India within the previous 14 days, a source familiar with the move said. Airlines have been told of the decision, a source said.The new policy will take effect on Tuesday at 12:01 am ET.

The policy will not apply to American citizens, lawful permanent residents or other people with exemptions. As with all international travelers, individuals who fit that criteria traveling from India must still test negative prior to leaving the country, quarantine if they have not been vaccinated and test negative again upon reentering the US from India. The restrictions also do not apply to humanitarian workers.
Remember to stay UA focused for this forum, detailed discussion of India's plight is best in other forums, such as FT's India Forum

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 30, 2021 1:44 pm

I suspect many of the fliers are US citizens on UA - and since they are exempt, nothing may change.

featheroleather Apr 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Looks like India flights will be suspended starting Tues the 4th.... why the wait ?

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather (Post 33217207)
Looks like India flights will be suspended starting Tues the 4th.... why the wait ?

US citizens and permanent residents are exempt - so nothing may change.

Keyser Apr 30, 2021 2:40 pm

i'm surprised it took so long to take a call on the ban....ideally it should have happened weeks ago....

HkCaGu Apr 30, 2021 3:03 pm

There may actually be an evacuation effect.

ty97 Apr 30, 2021 3:40 pm

They'll just downgauge to a CR2.

rishib Apr 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Actually really curious about this - we have an equipment installer here that is scheduled to return to India on May 9. I believe he flew in on United. I presume the Indian government will let him in, since he's an Indian citizen - but I don't know if UA will cancel flights altogether if flight from India to US are going to be empty after a few days...

emcampbe Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by rishib (Post 33217502)
Actually really curious about this - we have an equipment installer here that is scheduled to return to India on May 9. I believe he flew in on United. I presume the Indian government will let him in, since he's an Indian citizen - but I don't know if UA will cancel flights altogether if flight from India to US are going to be empty after a few days...

id guess they would have fewer flights. Maybe go back to DEL/BOM-EWR only. Or do those on alternate days - DEL-EWR one day, DEL-SFO next. Or 2-4 times a week? Something like this - although it makes crew scheduling more difficult.

I also wonder how much cargo has an influence. If they still need the lift for that, maybe they are willing to run more relatively empty pax cabins if cargo areas are full all the time.

SFO_LOW_CLOUDS Apr 30, 2021 4:28 pm

the Administration will restrict travel from India starting immediately

The policy will take effect on Tuesday, May 4.
:confused:

galaticos Apr 30, 2021 4:39 pm

And there goes my hope of returning on the SFO-BLR nonstop on May 31st..

cricketer Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 33217366)
There may actually be an evacuation effect.

I know that US citizens in India are being contacted and advised to return to the US, so I suspect you're right.

malgudi Apr 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather (Post 33217207)

Flights are not being suspended, entry is being restricted to a small subset of travelers.

HGHUA Apr 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Seriously, this won't make much difference at all. Not exactly a ton of tourists flying. With the huge Indian diaspora in the US, UA and AI will continue their flights completely full with just American citizens and Perm Residents. lol.

The routes will remain either way. That cargo $$$.

HkCaGu Apr 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA (Post 33217727)
Seriously, this won't make much difference at all. Not exactly a ton of tourists flying. With the huge Indian diaspora in the US, UA and AI will continue their flights completely full with just American citizens and Perm Residents. lol.

And also with a significant proportion of US resident population vaccinated, they might fly "fearlessly"...