Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New travel restrictions to USA from India 4 May 2021, impacts on UA DEL/BOM flights?

New travel restrictions to USA from India 4 May 2021, impacts on UA DEL/BOM flights?

Old Apr 30, 21, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

Biden administration to restrict travel from India starting Tuesday CNN
"On the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Administration will restrict travel from India starting immediately," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement on Friday. "The policy will be implemented in light of extraordinarily high COVID-19 caseloads and multiple variants circulating in the India. The policy will take effect on Tuesday, May 4."

The administration will issue a 212(f) order restricting entry into the US for foreign nationals who have been in India within the previous 14 days, a source familiar with the move said. Airlines have been told of the decision, a source said.The new policy will take effect on Tuesday at 12:01 am ET.

The policy will not apply to American citizens, lawful permanent residents or other people with exemptions. As with all international travelers, individuals who fit that criteria traveling from India must still test negative prior to leaving the country, quarantine if they have not been vaccinated and test negative again upon reentering the US from India. The restrictions also do not apply to humanitarian workers.
Remember to stay UA focused for this forum, detailed discussion of India's plight is best in other forums, such as FT's India Forum
Old Apr 30, 21, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I suspect many of the fliers are US citizens on UA - and since they are exempt, nothing may change.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 1:47 pm

Looks like India flights will be suspended starting Tues the 4th.... why the wait ?
Old Apr 30, 21, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
Looks like India flights will be suspended starting Tues the 4th.... why the wait ?
US citizens and permanent residents are exempt - so nothing may change.
Old Apr 30, 21, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm surprised it took so long to take a call on the ban....ideally it should have happened weeks ago....
TerryK, Xyzzy, malgudi and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
There may actually be an evacuation effect.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
They'll just downgauge to a CR2.
lincolnjkc, seanp7, milski and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Actually really curious about this - we have an equipment installer here that is scheduled to return to India on May 9. I believe he flew in on United. I presume the Indian government will let him in, since he's an Indian citizen - but I don't know if UA will cancel flights altogether if flight from India to US are going to be empty after a few days...
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rishib View Post
Actually really curious about this - we have an equipment installer here that is scheduled to return to India on May 9. I believe he flew in on United. I presume the Indian government will let him in, since he's an Indian citizen - but I don't know if UA will cancel flights altogether if flight from India to US are going to be empty after a few days...
id guess they would have fewer flights. Maybe go back to DEL/BOM-EWR only. Or do those on alternate days - DEL-EWR one day, DEL-SFO next. Or 2-4 times a week? Something like this - although it makes crew scheduling more difficult.

I also wonder how much cargo has an influence. If they still need the lift for that, maybe they are willing to run more relatively empty pax cabins if cargo areas are full all the time.
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:28 pm

the Administration will restrict travel from India starting immediately
The policy will take effect on Tuesday, May 4.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA - Plt Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - Gold
And there goes my hope of returning on the SFO-BLR nonstop on May 31st..
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
There may actually be an evacuation effect.
I know that US citizens in India are being contacted and advised to return to the US, so I suspect you're right.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
Flights are not being suspended, entry is being restricted to a small subset of travelers.
Old Apr 30, 21, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Seriously, this won't make much difference at all. Not exactly a ton of tourists flying. With the huge Indian diaspora in the US, UA and AI will continue their flights completely full with just American citizens and Perm Residents. lol.

The routes will remain either way. That cargo $$$.
Old Apr 30, 21, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by HGHUA View Post
Seriously, this won't make much difference at all. Not exactly a ton of tourists flying. With the huge Indian diaspora in the US, UA and AI will continue their flights completely full with just American citizens and Perm Residents. lol.
And also with a significant proportion of US resident population vaccinated, they might fly "fearlessly"...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: