FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New travel restrictions to USA from India 4 May 2021, impacts on UA DEL/BOM flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2039096-new-travel-restrictions-usa-india-4-may-2021-impacts-ua-del-bom-flights.html)

eng3 May 2, 2021 7:25 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 33219986)
yes, India does exit immigration, and they stamp passports. I don’t know how UA actually enforces with a third-country connection, but that seems like an easy way.

Well, I think the US still has the restriction on UK and South Africa, at least the last time I traveled.
I don't remember if they have exit stamps. I don't recall anyone flipping through every page of my passport to check. Some people have more than one passport too I guess.
The US does have the attestation form that everyone is supposed to sign, so maybe they go by the honor system.
Though on my last trip, the airline insisted I need to sign a form for a transfer country (Germany I think) and did not have me do the US form so I never had to sign it.

Keyser May 2, 2021 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 33220004)
Flying from India to the US via third-countries on a single ticketed UA PNR -- as someone who isn't a US citizen and/or US LPR -- to try to get around the US travel restriction?

Sounds like an invitation to get a US visa and/or ESTA cancelled and have future US travel problems. CBP will have been provided the ticketed itinerary by UA.

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 33220134)
I’m not sure that this would be much of a risk - on the same PNR, UA wouldn’t allow boarding on their flight, and realistically, the airline operating the flight ex-India wouldn’t either, as they need to (or at least should be) following US restrictions - believe US can restrict foreign carriers from operating flights to the US if they violate US restrictions - and even if that carrier doesn’t operate US flights, they could restrict code sharing with US carriers.

I think the bigger risk would be someone booking on separate PNRs - ie, booking say, BOM-LHR on AI or BA, and then separately booking LHR-IAD on UA. If they were an Indian National though, they’d need to meet existing US requirements like getting a Visa or ESTA. I doubt they are issuing those to restricted populations at the moment, and agree that any visa docs that are still valid could be pulled pretty quickly if an airline reports an attempted boarding (not sure what the requirements are for an airline to do that).

my understanding of the travel ban is that indian citizens are not banned from entry but anyone who has been in india for the last 14 days is banned (unless you are a usa citizen/resident)....

a ua pnr won't work because that would mean flying out of india, spending 14+ days in another country & then traveling on to usa....with ua, the only way one can do that is to halt for those 14+ days either somewhere in the schengen area or the uk....a non-usa citizen/resident can't enter usa from either of those places....plus entry from india to the schengen area & the uk is currently banned as well....

what looks like a workable solution is to fly to another country on a separate pnr, spend 14+ days there & the fly to usa on another pnr....unfortunately most countries have banned entry from india so that doesn't leave too many options....the only 2 places i can think of at the moment where flights are still operating from india are sri lanka & turkey....i think entry to usa from both those countries is allowed....however this option is pretty inconvenient & would be expensive....

GUWonder May 2, 2021 3:44 pm

Indian citizens indeed aren't banned from entry to the US, but most Indian citizens are restricted from travel/entry to the US if they've been in India within the most recent 14 days.

There are so many exceptions available to so many Indian citizens -- on top of all the US citizen residents/seasonal residents of India -- coming from India to the US that this "ban" shouldn't be a problem for UA to get quite the number of passengers on at least its DEL-US flights even were the "flee to home" traffic to end up being but a trickle. And if the European, the Gulf and East Asian routes remain mostly dried up, then UA will have less competition for the remaining passenger traffic from India to the US during the days ahead.

If I had to bet, I would bet that the poor person's version of business class on UA flights is less likely to be available on its India-US flights than on most of its Europe-US flights for at least now.

Keyser May 2, 2021 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 33221488)
Indian citizens indeed aren't banned from entry to the US, but most Indian citizens are restricted from travel/entry to the US if they've been in India within the most recent 14 days.

There are so many exceptions available to so many Indian citizens -- on top of all the US citizen residents/seasonal residents of India -- coming from India to the US that this "ban" shouldn't be a problem for UA to get quite the number of passengers on at least its DEL-US flights even were the "flee to home" traffic to end up being but a trickle. And if the European, the Gulf and East Asian routes remain mostly dried up, then UA will have less competition for the remaining passenger traffic from India to the US during the days ahead.

If I had to bet, I would bet that the poor person's version of business class on UA flights is less likely to be available on its India-US flights than on most of its Europe-US flights for at least now.

fair enough however i think the travel ban is going to remain for a while & the number of people allowed to travel between the 2 countries is going to dry up pretty quickly....no business or tourist travels only leaves usa citizen/residents who are allowed to travel....not too many people want to travel to india at the moment unless they really have to & the number of people fleeing india will do so soon....

GUWonder May 2, 2021 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 33221503)
fair enough however i think the travel ban is going to remain for a while & the number of people allowed to travel between the 2 countries is going to dry up pretty quickly....no business or tourist travels only leaves usa citizen/residents who are allowed to travel....not too many people want to travel to india at the moment unless they really have to & the number of people fleeing india will do so soon....

Those who can fly these UA flights to the US even after Tuesday:

US citizens; US LPRs; foreign spouses of US citizens; foreign spouses of US LPRs; unmarried U21 foreign children of US citizens; unmarried U21 foreign children of US LPRs; unmarried U21 siblings of US citizens; unmarried U21 siblings of US LPRs; unmarried U21 dependents of US citizens; unmarried U21 dependents of US LPRs; E-1 treaty traders of sorts and their relatives; USG-approved healthcare-related travelers; USG-approved national interest exemptions which include a whole lot of students and many others.

Even if this restriction were to last beyond July, there are still millions of people from India who will remain eligible to continue to fly directly from India to the US and/or from the US to India. UA will probably want to continue serving the market even with the higher fuel costs.

WineCountryUA May 2, 2021 4:52 pm

Let's return to discussion of UA and the UA flights. Discussion of entry sub-classes or ways to evade the regulations are not UA specific and therefore belong elsewhere.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

uastarflyer May 3, 2021 12:43 am

Any news Re the start of SFO-BLR late May? Hope this survives even if frequencies suffer in the immediate future

emcampbe May 5, 2021 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 33222164)
Any news Re the start of SFO-BLR late May? Hope this survives even if frequencies suffer in the immediate future

I suspect it will be delayed until the situation improves in India. Late summer or fall seems about right to me (but then again, I'm not an airline route scheduler, so that's just my amateur guess). Then again, I figured with everything going on now, UA would have cut capacity on its other India routes, and maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but I didn't hear about a reduction of flights so far (besides the regular IRROPS).

Once things calm down and we get past this, I'll likely be on that flight. Not sure if AA has made any updated announcements about it's BLR flight - I still have my doubts if it's SEA-BLR will ever take off.

I suspect business travel was a big reason to launch this flight, and that segment isn't coming back just yet. Yes, lots of trips with folks going back and forth to visit families, too, but most of the leisure fares aren't going to pay the ULH penalty that adds to the costs of running this flight. On the other hand, maybe this will take on a lot of cargo that will make it worth it, as there is no current direct flight to South India from the US (except for maybe AIs twice weekly SFO-BLR, though I'm not sure if that's running now), and this will likely save time rather than having to fly via BOM/DEL, EU or another Asian hub like HKG.

ambush276 May 5, 2021 4:11 pm

Cargo demand is huge, but, the amount of passengers on us->IN routes are dropping dramatically. In->US are at capacity. If cargo can keep up the difference, the flights will run. I agree with the previous post that the BLR-USA routes are really business centric and those routes will take awhile to come back.

galaticos May 5, 2021 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 33229309)
I suspect it will be delayed until the situation improves in India. Late summer or fall seems about right to me (but then again, I'm not an airline route scheduler, so that's just my amateur guess). Then again, I figured with everything going on now, UA would have cut capacity on its other India routes, and maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but I didn't hear about a reduction of flights so far (besides the regular IRROPS).

Once things calm down and we get past this, I'll likely be on that flight. Not sure if AA has made any updated announcements about it's BLR flight - I still have my doubts if it's SEA-BLR will ever take off.

I suspect business travel was a big reason to launch this flight, and that segment isn't coming back just yet. Yes, lots of trips with folks going back and forth to visit families, too, but most of the leisure fares aren't going to pay the ULH penalty that adds to the costs of running this flight. On the other hand, maybe this will take on a lot of cargo that will make it worth it, as there is no current direct flight to South India from the US (except for maybe AIs twice weekly SFO-BLR, though I'm not sure if that's running now), and this will likely save time rather than having to fly via BOM/DEL, EU or another Asian hub like HKG.

I'm booked for 31st and the loads are quite decent.. people havent seemed to cancel yet... hope the flight stays!

ambush276 May 5, 2021 4:29 pm

I have 3 separate flights booked ewr-bom. One in june. I havent cancelled anything yet. People i know who travel the route frequently havent cancelled anything yet either. I assume you will see alot in the coming weeks. Many are waiting for united to cancel the flight to get a cash refund.

galaticos May 7, 2021 4:23 pm

Anyone hear officially about delay in launch of SFO-BLR? I have one booked for 31st May but now my seats are gone (says not able to reserve seat) but flight still shows in itinerary ..

also can’t see the flight if I go to make a new reservation for that week or next

ambush276 May 7, 2021 4:49 pm

Its canned. Probably a UA glitch. Call the premier desk to get a refund/waiver.

galaticos May 7, 2021 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ambush276 (Post 33234660)
Its canned. Probably a UA glitch. Call the premier desk to get a refund/waiver.

ok.. TA will take it up.. any official post? Looks like ord-del gone from schedule too.. sfo-del down to 3x maybe

LH also dropped BLR .. will be challenging finding a route back..

WineCountryUA May 7, 2021 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos (Post 33234889)
...Looks like ord-del gone from schedule too.. sfo-del down to 3x maybe .....

ORD-DEL is on the schedule (daily) and bookable
SFO-DEL is daily and bookable

This week UA stopped selling seats for a few days but flights still operated

SFO-BLR is still on the schedule starting 27 May 2021 but appears not selling seats