Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Wedding Dress

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Flying with Wedding Dress

Long story that I don't want to get into, but we have been tasked with transporting a wedding dress to PVR for an upcoming wedding.

Flying UA, through IAH, in economy. I am Silver.

Should we keep it in the dress bag, board ASAP, and ask them to hang it? Or what is the best course of action here? Obviously need to avoid wrinkles, don't think checking is an option.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While a bit dated, suggest
Wedding Dress Aboard UA?
and
What tips are there for taking a wedding dress as a carry on?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
try and buy an upgrade to F and ask to hang it in the closet.
jtet likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Notwithstanding the cabin of your purchased seat, I would ask the flight attendant to put it in the closet upon boarding. There should be plenty of room nowadays with warmer weather.

You could try laying it on top of carryons in the overhead bin, but I would not do this until the bin in full. I was done this for suits, not dresses.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just be sure that there is a closet. Depending on the aircraft, there may not be one. Both frequencies currently show as an A320 of some kind.

Always have to have Plan B.
SPN Lifer, onthesam, jtet and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
try and buy an upgrade to F and ask to hang it in the closet.
While being in F might surely help with getting this accommodation, I have seen attendants hang suit bags for Y passengers many times. Generally they just ask when they board, and I can't remember anyone being rebuffed.

As an alternative, my standard for traveling with suits is to pack them in my carry on, sort of on the perimeter of the bag, i.e. put the suit bag in first, half hanging out, then pack everything else in the middle, then drape the suit bag across everything and close. I think this would work for a dress.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I would also ask the bride about the style of the dress. The closets on aircraft aren't huge.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
While being in F might surely help with getting this accommodation, I have seen attendants hang suit bags for Y passengers many times. Generally they just ask when they board, and I can't remember anyone being rebuffed.
Many many times. I particular in routes with lots of (wedding) dresses. At least a dozen times in recent years. Sure, if the F cabin is empty then that's one thing ... if it is full I have seen FAs reject to hand garment bags from Y many times.

Good to check on AC ... that's true ... not all have closets.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Connection to IAH is an E175, and IAH to PVR is an A320. What's the closet situation on the 175?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Just be sure that there is a closet. Depending on the aircraft, there may not be one. Both frequencies currently show as an A320 of some kind.

Always have to have Plan B.
As to the Plan B comment: I flew with my wedding dress and encountered a (non-UA) FA having a very bad day who did nothing to help me and threatened to make me check my dress silk dress with many layers. (We ended up flying with my dress was crammed beneath our feet for two hours.) Make sure the bride has located a dry cleaner capable of pressing the dress upon arrival. I knew mine would need pressing regardless, but was so relieved that our wedding coordinator helped line up a dry cleaner who was expecting the dress and able to press it within the our required timeframe.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by shimps1
Connection to IAH is an E175, and IAH to PVR is an A320. What's the closet situation on the 175?
E75 has a closet upfront where the crew luggage is usually stored. Given the smallish plane (seat count), there should be more than sufficient space in the closet for the FA to hang the wedding dress; though I would let the FA know the content, even if it may seem obvious, so additional care can be taken.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
E75 has a closet upfront where the crew luggage is usually stored. Given the smallish plane (seat count), there should be more than sufficient space in the closet for the FA to hang the wedding dress; though I would let the FA know the content, even if it may seem obvious, so additional care can be taken.
That is exactly the problem -- the closet *will* be full of crew luggage (which they can't be bothered to store at the back), so good luck in getting anything in there!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that you have to plan on not having closet access. Thus, the dry cleaner plan seems best. On the 175, the dress may still be folded if there is anything bellow it (wheel chair?)
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
One option would be to have it packed in an heirloom box and gate check it. Then have dry cleaner press upon arrival.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Mrs. thesun and I flew her wedding dress on a mainline narrowbody in the F closet without any problem. We were seated in paid F. Note that the closets aren't really that tall and the dress may be longer than the closet is tall. Even though the Mrs is quite short, the dress was substantially taller when in its bag. For our particular dress this wasn't an issue to have the bottom draped on the floor of the closet. I'd talk to whoever made or sold the dress for their recommendation. For us, it would have been acceptable to fold the dress into thirds in the dress bag but we opted not to do that as we knew we had the closet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.