Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regular Economy FFC cannot be used for Basic Economy/BE FFC can't be used for Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regular Economy FFC cannot be used for Basic Economy/BE FFC can't be used for Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Just called to free the trapped money from a PNR and was given this crap. I doubt the fare rules mentioned BE in Nov16! I am livid. Is this legal? Here's what I told Premier Voice:

Hello,

I recently changed this ticket for a friend and was told by xxxxx (HNL Web Support) that the residual value cannot be applied to a basic economy fare.

As BE fares were not invented back in November 2016, I challenge this assertion.

Please refund the fare difference of 23 dollars.

Thank you.

sexykitten7

3NOV17 Update: I got the money back as an ETC. Surprised is an understatement!!!

Last edited by sexykitten7; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:12 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A friend of mine (non-FF) also was told the same a few weeks ago.

Since he got a full refund/voucher for a Cuba flight, he didn't push it, but he didn't even book the BE flight - so UA lost some revenue there.

I fail to see UA's logic here - why not use a voucher from a refund/issue on something that can't ever be refunded?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Just called to free the trapped money from a PNR and was given this crap. I doubt the fare rules mentioned BE in Nov16! I am livid. Is this legal? Here's what I told Premier Voice:

Hello,

I recently changed this ticket for a friend and was told by xxxxx (HNL Web Support) that the residual value cannot be applied to a basic economy fare.

As BE fares were not invented back in November 2016, I challenge this assertion.

Please refund the fare difference of 23 dollars.

Thank you.

sexykitten7
While, I don't disagree or agree, the flip side of that logic can also apply - if residual value can only apply to certain things, then by default it can NOT apply to anything that was not in existence when that residual value was created.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:51 pm

FFCs from Standard Economy cannot be used for Basic Economy

Had an FFC last year from a standard economy ticket. Went to apply it to a ticket for the same passengers later this year and wanted Basic Economy as it was $105 cheaper per person than Standard Economy. The system would not let me apply it and when asking United via Twitter, they said that it is a policy that Standard Economy FFCs cannot be used for Basic Economy tickets. Was a bit miffed as this policy is not published anywhere on their website, even the webpage marked "Travel credit | Policies".

Their reasoning was that BE is non-changeable or cancelable, however it is not that way currently and was not when I booked and cancelled my original ticket. They acknowledged it as such but refused to offer anything except the option to pay for Standard Economy at the regular price.

Just putting this out there in case anyone else is wondering why they cannot book a BE ticket with their Standard Economy FFC.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, this has been true for some time. There appears to be a system barrier around Basic Economy tickets

In instructions to TA
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, this has been true for some time. There appears to be a system barrier around Basic Economy tickets

In instructions to TA
It's just a little annoying that they don't actually let passengers know that until it is time to rebook and the option isn't there. Heck, your link doesn't even cover FFCs, just IRROPs and schedule changes. It also makes total sense in that it essentially says "When a standard economy ticket change needs to occur due to schedule change/IRROPs, don't put that pax in Basic".
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lowfareair
It's just a little annoying that they don't actually let passengers know that until it is time to rebook and the option isn't there. Heck, your link doesn't even cover FFCs, just IRROPs and schedule changes. It also makes total sense in that it essentially says "When a standard economy ticket change needs to occur due to schedule change/IRROPs, don't put that pax in Basic".
Convert FFC to ETC. Then use the ETC to book the BE fare
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Convert FFC to ETC. Then use the ETC to book the BE fare
I asked about that before and was told no. Is there a specific way to do that?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I asked about that before and was told no. Is there a specific way to do that?
The ability to do this has vary over the past year. it seems recently agents have been more willing. Without going into the details, just ask for an ETC since your are unable to get the rebooking you desired and needed an ETC to rebook.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:25 pm

Some older post covering the restriction from using FFC to purchase BE fares
Originally Posted by steaminer
So today I learned from an agent that I can't change from a non-basic economy ticket to a basic economy ticket.

For example, I have a fully changeable F ticket - I cannot later change that to a BE ticket with a different itinerary. Can only refund and then rebook a new itinerary in BE. Strange.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Indeed, a quick search of the fare rules for a BE ticket (from the penalties section) shows the situation:

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
I don't know why it's there, and I don't remember seeing it before, but it's clear that it's not a matter of a missing pricing system: UA has clearly written this text to exclude doing a ticket exchange to a BE ticket.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Cannot access BE on UA.com with flight credit

Have tried this a few times - when I try to book with a future flight credit, I can only see economy and up fares - BE is not shown at all.
Is it just me or is this some sort of restriction on flight credits...?
Old May 19, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was FFC from BE ticket or regular ticket? My understanding is that you cannot switch from one to the other.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Was FFC from BE ticket or regular ticket? My understanding is that you cannot switch from one to the other.
Correct

It is in the fare rules and these are instructions UA provides to TA
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
I tried to use a flight credit towards purchasing a basic economy ticket online but it would only apply the credit towards regular economy fares. So credits can’t be used towards basic econ fares?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2021 at 11:33 pm Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old May 19, 2021, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by XLR26
I tried to use a flight credit towards purchasing a basic economy ticket online but it would only apply the credit towards regular economy fares. So credits can’t be used towards basic econ fares?
It appears UA has that restriction. Note it also seems to be true that FFC from BE can only be used for BE rebookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.