Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as a UA multi-segment flight pass for Canadians?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

My 25 yr old daughter and her friend plan to take multiple domestic flights in USA this summer (as well as transborder flights in each direction between Canada and USA.

With limited money, they would in terms of US domestic flights - buy the cheapest tickets - likely in discount airlines such as Southwest, Allegiant, and others.

But my daughter is a Star Alliance Gold member through Air Canada's Aeroplan. So they would like to fly on UA if they can, and have access to the Star Alliance Gold benefits - provided they can get tickets at competitive prices.

I think UA does offer flxed price multi-segment tickets for overseas residents - I believe my relatives in India have taken advantage of such passes in the past.

Does UA offer something for Canadians - so my daughter and her friend can take multiple segments on UA at competitive flight ticket prices - through this or some other mechanism- to those of what the US discount airlines can offer?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is, but I don't think you are going to like to cost: United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
plan to take multiple domestic flights in USA this summer (as well as transborder flights in each direction between Canada and USA.
All else aside... I hope you’re able to do this.

I have so much Transborder travel to do once the borders open (I’m dual, it’s the quarantine that’s the hang-up)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:39 am

Aircanada's flight pass (for transborder) option may be worth a look if you cannot plan/book far in advance
(They have unlimited flights in a set time, or 4/8/16 flight segments for 12 months )

Eg, nyc-montreal one way for March on *A, $200+ next week, $188 following week, $141 in april
or flight pass $736 for 4 segments or $174 each (need to book 14 day in advance up to S class)
https://fp.aircanada.com/wallet/serv...L/TBORD-NYCOMM
Nothing on UA like that though. uA pass plus is more of a discount If you commit to a certain United balance per year

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 6, 2021 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Star Alliance used to offer a North America airpass, where it offers flexibility in making last minute changes. However, it is only available for travelers outside of North America, and also it is no longer available.

Air fare in economy is so cheap these days that it may make sense to book a whole bunch of one-way tickets if your daughter has an itinerary set.
SFO777 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Aircanada's flight pass (for transborder) option may be worth a look if you cannot plan/book far in advance
(They have unlimited flights in a set time, or 4/8/16 flight segments for 12 months )

Eg, nyc-montreal one way for March on *A, $200+ next week, $188 following week, $141 in april
or flight pass $736 for 4 segments or $174 each (need to book 14 day in advance up to S class)
https://fp.aircanada.com/wallet/serv...L/TBORD-NYCOMM
Nothing on UA like that though. uA pass plus is more of a discount If you commit to a certain United balance per year

Yes, as a SuperElite-I certainly am aware of AC flight passes - I have bought several over the years.

I was hoping that UA has a similar set of flight passes (ie one can buy a limited number of one way flight (segments) for a pre-paid fee) - the UA flight pass secure is closer to the AC unlimited flight pass (latter unlimited number of flights within a set time period).

This may be outside the scope of this forum - but do AA, DL,or Southwest airlines offer a similar product to AC limited (finite) segment flight pass option?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may be outside the scope of this forum - but do AA, DL,or Southwest airlines offer a similar product to AC limited (finite) segment flight pass option?
JetBlue offered a pass like that for a while, but in general, the answer is "not that I know of." There's been relatively little need for discount programs in the US air market in the last decade.

Have you actually priced out any of the trips she's likely to take? You may be searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The major airlines frequently match the discounters' prices, although usually with their "Basic Economy" ticket. (For UA: No seat assignment, no carry-on bag, limited/no ability to make changes).
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Yes, as a SuperElite-I certainly am aware of AC flight passes - I have bought several over the years.

I was hoping that UA has a similar set of flight passes (ie one can buy a limited number of one way flight (segments) for a pre-paid fee) - the UA flight pass secure is closer to the AC unlimited flight pass (latter unlimited number of flights within a set time period).

Not anymore on oneworld or SkyTeam.

The product is only beneficial if you are looking for scheduling flexibility. The pricing difference nowadays is minimal, especially with no change fees.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
JetBlue offered a pass like that for a while, but in general, the answer is "not that I know of." There's been relatively little need for discount programs in the US air market in the last decade.

Have you actually priced out any of the trips she's likely to take? You may be searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The major airlines frequently match the discounters' prices, although usually with their "Basic Economy" ticket. (For UA: No seat assignment, no carry-on bag, limited/no ability to make changes).

Does one still get Star Alliance Gold benefits (including if one has such status with a non Mileage Plus program) with a basic economy fare?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does one still get Star Alliance Gold benefits (including if one has such status with a non Mileage Plus program) with a basic economy fare?
For the most part, yes -- UC access, carryon bag, free check bag, priority boarding, ... but domestically no advance seat assignment -- for more see United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... or UA's Basic Economy
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.