Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
The bolded is inaccurate. It has been premium transcon food during the pandemic, not domestic F food. Many of the entrees (the beef, and the breakfast options), have also been in Polaris
OK - then Polaris=Hawaii=Domestic. So, Polaris breakfast is 1) egg bites w/ sausage or 2) French toast (one piece of bread, quartered), a little aluminum cup of sugar/butter, maple flavor, both with croissant, yogurt, a couple of pieces of fruit, then yes, Hawaii is same as Polaris and domestic F. I've had the exact same breakfasts on two domestic and two long-haul Hawaii flights in last 3 weeks. It appears Polaris, domestic F, and long-haul Hawaii are getting the exact same breakfasts.

Think of it this way - Polaris has been getting domestic F meals during the pandemic. You surely don't think Hawaii has been upgraded to Polaris meals, do you? Hawaii meals have stayed the same - Polaris meals have suffered the downgrade. As service recovers, hopefully Polaris meals will get back to what they were, as will p.s.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 2022 at 6:36 pm
Old May 25, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Think of it this way - Polaris has been getting domestic F meals during the pandemic. You surely don't think Hawaii has been upgraded to Polaris meals, do you? Hawaii meals have stayed the same - Polaris meals have suffered the downgrade. As service recovers, hopefully Polaris meals will get back to what they were, as will p.s.
The Hawaii meals are in my opinion are about as bad as you can get. They'd be better off not bothering with a meal just as Southwest does on the Hawaii flights it is so bad. I plan appropriately either by bringing something with me onto the plane or eat before the flight.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Nothing that's been announced/seen recently takes any UA route to a higher level than pre-pandemic, but you expect long-haul Hawaii to be somehow treated differently/better? . Long-haul Hawaii will not be treated like Polaris - little competition on routes. UA has competitors on NY-California routes, hence the beefed up offering. Good catering on long-haul Hawaii went out with Continental in 2012 (and was already on downward path). One might expect warm nuts again - eventually. Long-haul Hawaii will continue to be domestic First food with an extra meal due to length and a snack basket.
Don't you feel that Hawai‘i routes (ex-California) have had service enhanced as compared to pre-covid? The meals seem to be route specific and better than domestic FC, to me. I don't really remember that level of catering between HNL-LAX/SFO in F.

Also UA has a competitor in HA ex California, running mostly A330 with their (crappy/small cabin) lie-flats vs a good chance of 737/753 on UA.

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
The bolded is inaccurate. It has been premium transcon food during the pandemic, not domestic F food. Many of the entrees (the beef, and the breakfast options), have also been in Polaris

See this breakfast post from Syf/SFO in Polaris. The quiche is the EXACT same thing that was served for breakfast on my Dec IAH/HNL flight. The other option was french toast, same french toast that has been served in Polaris

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34270120-post579.html

As for west coast to Hawaii, it has been receiving the same product as the premium transcon routes in terms of food (and I believe amenity kits). Same first meals and same cheese tray prior to landing
This is exactly in line with my experience, especially ex-West Coast.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2022 at 4:57 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 28, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evol
Don't you feel that Hawai‘i routes (ex-California) have had service enhanced as compared to pre-covid?....
I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly. The only enhancement since pre-Covid was the use of Polaris-equipped planes (mainly due to grounding of PW 772s and availability of the Polaris a/c). That's going away as the 772s come back and Polaris planes moved back to int'l. After a year of enjoying Polaris seats, I was on 737s last two times between West Coast and HNL. Still remains to be seen what happens with the long-haul HI a/c routes normally 777HD (DEN/IAH/ORD). The inflight food quality is definitely down since pre-covid and FAs prefer you take offered OJ or water PDB instead of asking what you want.

There are/were a couple of extra routes (EWR-OGG, ORD-KOA).
Old May 28, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: United currently plat
thanks

Last edited by evol; May 28, 2022 at 5:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old May 28, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evol
This is exactly in line with my experience, especially ex-West Coast.
Hawaii food ex-West Coast has not been upgraded. If the food is the same between Hawaii and West Coast and Premium Transcon, it's because the Premium Transcon food has been downgraded. I've only been flying monthly between the west Coast and Hawaii since 2012. I think I've observed what's been paced in front of me.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:37 pm

I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly.
I’m also monthly or more and if the service is enhanced they missed the memo on my flights or it was a sorry state of an enhancement. My next enhancement is June 7.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly. The only enhancement since pre-Covid was the use of Polaris-equipped planes (mainly due to grounding of PW 772s and availability of the Polaris a/c). That's going away as the 772s come back and Polaris planes moved back to int'l. After a year of enjoying Polaris seats, I was on 737s last two times between West Coast and HNL. Still remains to be seen what happens with the long-haul HI a/c routes normally 777HD (DEN/IAH/ORD). The inflight food quality is definitely down since pre-covid and FAs prefer you take offered OJ or water PDB instead of asking what you want.

There are/were a couple of extra routes (EWR-OGG, ORD-KOA).
worst part of these 737 is the lack of internet. Followed by the worn out seats. I only take those on day flights to mainland
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

No change in premium transcontinental or Hawaii menus.
Of course no change in the Hawaii menus - some of the worst in the system.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
On this we certainly agree. I find the catering ex-HNL used to be my favorite, but that chicken katsu is terrible and the tofu option even worse.
PanAmWT likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Can't agree. Have you tried the past year's non-Hawaii offering? The Hawaii catering is better even than some Polaris catering.

Originally Posted by cricketer
I'm in the minority that things the ragu with polenta has been the best thing in circulation for a while. So I'd welcome that! (everything's relative of course, but as others have said, this is an airline meal, not a gourmet restaurant).

Yes, there's always someone who can object to anything, and with legitimate reason too. But faux-meat products are designed to be exactly that, which is unappealing to most vegetarians I know (not all) but appealing to meat eaters who are trying to cut down (again, not all). And that's what they are going for. Even if you're doing a burger, there are so many great ways to make a veggie burger without having to make it seem like meat.

Here's a good veggie burger: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com...burger-recipe/
The ragu was blah, monotonous, and way too light, so from me good riddance. Without having eaten beforehand, it was totally inadequate as a meal. I'd be amazed if it was more than 500 kcal.

On the latter point though — fully agreed. I don't mind the impossible stuff, but a true veg options would be better.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Can't agree. Have you tried the past year's non-Hawaii offering? The Hawaii catering is better even than some Polaris catering...
The Hawaii food is double-catered from mainland. Do you really think someone in catering or UA on Mainland is saying "Hey, let's make Hawaii meals special"? The meals are EXACTLY the same as mainland domestic F of similar length. I've had the exact same breakfast HNL-SFO, IAH-EWR, EWR-HNL, and SFO-IAH in last month. The West Coast to Hawaii lunches/dinners are the same as domestic lunches and dinners. There is zero difference. The only thing different is the long-haul Hawaii gets another meal due to length.

I'm pretty sure I've been exposed to far more Hawaii meals than most. 1) They are not better than CONUS meals. 2) If you think Hawaii food is like Polaris food, that speaks to the deterioration of Polaris food, not to an improvement in Hawaii food.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 1, 2022 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hawaii food is double-catered from mainland. Do you really think someone in catering or UA on Mainland is saying "Hey, let's make Hawaii meals special"? The meals are EXACTLY the same as mainland domestic F of similar length. I've had the exact same breakfast HNL-SFO, IAH-EWR, EWR-HNL, and SFO-IAH in last month. The West Coast to Hawaii lunches/dinners are the same as domestic lunches and dinners. There is zero difference. The only thing different is the long-haul Hawaii gets another meal due to length.

I'm pretty sure I've been exposed to far more Hawaii meals than most. 1) They are not better than CONUS meals. 2) If you think Hawaii food is like Polaris food, that speaks to the deterioration of Polaris food, not to an improvement in Hawaii food.
Actually someone in corporate about a year ago was saying, "Hey, let's make Hawaii meals special." The meals are not the same as mainland F. Do you see green salads in mainland catering? Do you see beef in mainland catering?

Of course all of this is sad commentary on how low catering standards have fallen.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by fumje
Actually someone in corporate about a year ago was saying, "Hey, let's make Hawaii meals special." The meals are not the same as mainland F. Do you see green salads in mainland catering? Do you see beef in mainland catering?

Of course all of this is sad commentary on how low catering standards have fallen.
also, no chicken katsu in mainland catering, no eggs, sausage, and rice in domestic F catering

To say Hawaii meals are regular domestic F meals is saying something highly inaccurate
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
The West Coast to Hawaii lunches/dinners are the same as domestic lunches and dinners. There is zero difference. The only thing different is the long-haul Hawaii gets another meal due to length.

I didn't fly West Coast to Hawaii, I flew from DEN, but the meals in my post here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34291751-post761.html are NOT what is offered on CONUS premium cabin at all. I contend what I received was better than CONUS meals have been for the past two years. I also do not contend they are Polaris meals. So I'm with you on some of this and not with you on other points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.