Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 3, 21, 6:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 3, 21, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
Anyone been on any HNL routes lately - food and bev services??

Mainly asking if anyone's flown into HNL lately (or back), from IAH? We're leaving Friday, and wondered what sort of food/bev to expect in the front? Wife is nervous they may not be serving mai tais now since the COVID cuts. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 21, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You will get a hot breakfast with two entree choices after takeoff, followed by (I think) a snack box or small snack pack (similar to the ones currently served in coach) prior to arrival. I think mai tais are still on offer, but if not, your wife can get far better ones upon arrival in HNL several hours later.
Dyce likes this.
Old Mar 3, 21, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
Thanks! We've been there before on this same route, but was just wondering what/if anything has changed recently. Agree the drinks on the island are waaayyyy better (LOL), but in the air, beggars can't be choosers... group of 8 of us in the front so everyone wants to make sure we're enjoying it!
Old Mar 3, 21, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlejt1 View Post
Thanks! We've been there before on this same route, but was just wondering what/if anything has changed recently. Agree the drinks on the island are waaayyyy better (LOL), but in the air, beggars can't be choosers... group of 8 of us in the front so everyone wants to make sure we're enjoying it!
even if they have mai tais they will probably only board 2-4 of them. Not joking.
Dyce and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Mar 3, 21, 2:45 pm

Programs: U/A premier platinum. UA 1MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
even if they have mai tais they will probably only board 2-4 of them. Not joking.
Flew first class 6 weeks ago from sfo. asked for a mai tai and was told they are not serving them due to covid? I believe they were pre mixed in a sealed bottle where they added a wedge of pineapple. Pretty sorry event. They were decent in the past. I think the hawaii flites were the only one that served them.
Old Mar 3, 21, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by littlejt1 View Post
Mainly asking if anyone's flown into HNL lately (or back), from IAH? We're leaving Friday, and wondered what sort of food/bev to expect in the front? Wife is nervous they may not be serving mai tais now since the COVID cuts. Any insight would be appreciated.
There's a report of the HNL-IAH flight in the
2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33058342-post185.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33074069-post190.html

The catering, especially beverage, is inconsistent systemwide -- sometimes there are just two of something, sometimes more, sometimes none -- so maybe worth thinking of backup drink options if that is important.
Old Mar 3, 21, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold
There may or may not be mai tais depending on catering. It varies from day to day. If they are onboard, there likely won't be more than two in the beverage cart. The skewers of pineapple and cherries that go in the mai tais have been discontinued as have lemons and limes.
Old Mar 4, 21, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Just flew ORD-HNL and HNL-ORD in F.

Both planes had true Polaris seats, which were nice.

HNL-ORD service sucked. The meal sucked. Everything about that flight except the seat sucked.
Xyzzy and SFO777 like this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I no longer expect a full meal service between Hawaii and Houston with a big ahi steak as one of the entree choices followed by a big ice cream sundae prepared seat side from a cart by a smiling FA. Oh wait - that was Continental back in the day.

I wish UA would contract with the Harris County jail to cater the Hawaii flight - the food would be more substantial, and better - it has to be.

One used to expect a good seat, a good (and substantial) meal, and good service up front. Now it's just the seat. Now the sole meal is no more substantial than the pre-arrival snack on CO.
bearkatt, as219, narvik and 4 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 4, 21 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 4, 21, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I no longer expect a full meal service between Hawaii and Houston with a big ahi steak as one of the entree choices followed by a big ice cream sundae prepared seat side from a cart by a smiling FA. Oh wait - that was Continental back in the day.

I wish UA would contract with the Harris County jail to cater the Hawaii flight - the food would be more substantial, and better - it has to be.

One used to expect a good seat, a good (and substantial) meal, and good service up front. Now it's just the seat. Now the sole meal is no more substantial than the pre-arrival snack on CO.
I don't know if you're still comparing to CO from back in the day in your last paragraph, but I've had the same mediocre, small meal on Hawaii long-haul flights for the past several years, including the longest Hawaii flight in the network (EWR-HNL). Salad, two or three entree choices served in the same small casseroles as domestic F (or gulp, Polaris), and "entry-level" sundaes that come with one or two topping choices (similar to non-PS transcons, unlike the full Polaris/PS sundae cart). The current setup isn't much different, except in lieu of entry-level sundae I got a prepackaged cookie last week. Hardly enough food for an 11-hour flight.

By comparison, AA offers/offered a separate plated appetizer, three entree choices served in larger, proper dishes, and a choice of proper sundae or cheese plate for dessert.
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
I don't know if you're still comparing to CO from back in the day in your last paragraph, but I've had the same mediocre, small meal on Hawaii long-haul flights for the past several years, including the longest Hawaii flight in the network (EWR-HNL).
Yup. EWR-HNL was notorious for inadequate meal offerings. Food has generally pretty bad on SFO-HNL for the last several years as well, but a much shorter flight, so less consequential.
Old Mar 4, 21, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
...I've had the same mediocre, small meal on Hawaii long-haul flights for the past several years, including the longest Hawaii flight in the network (EWR-HNL)...
EWR-HNL came to UA with the merger. Service/food was far better (same as CO IAH-HNL/OGG). UA took it down a bunch and the pandemic a bunch more. On the other hand, the route (considering it's length) never commanded the fare premium the int'l routes did/do. I think we're being trained by UA to expect less. It's working - I spend a bit more time thinking about a travel day's food scheme than I did before, when I could depend on UA for a decent meal up front.

Even though the UA sandwiches smell good, I've planned my meals/snacks to avoid them, even if it means buying something at the airport.
Old Mar 4, 21, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not much.

David
Old Mar 4, 21, 5:43 pm

I rode on den-hnl yesterday in F in a ge-powered 777.

Iah/ord depart before 10am and seem to get cater a small breakfast meal. I rode ord-hnl in November. It was not enough food for me and was thankful I had eaten in terminal before flight. Other posts in december/january in let's eat seemed happy they brought on personal sandwhiches. Yesterday den flight, I noticed other first class passengers brought on subway as well to supplement the meal service.

Den leaves after 10 so United caters it lunch. 10am seems to remain the breakfast/lunch cutoff regardless of flight time and destination.

Alcohol on Den-hnl was beer (miller or stella), wine (red or white) or sealed liquors minis. Mixes in cans. I heard an I am sorry, so i suspect they ran out of whatever liquor was being asked to refill. I connected off uax and had same options so i suspect catering is consistent for F across the board for March. No IPA or multiple options. No backups catered in Y as Y doesnt not offer alcohol service (currently).

Hot coffee/tea was available as was milk.
Old Mar 4, 21, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I think we're being trained by UA to expect less. It's working - I spend a bit more time thinking about a travel day's food scheme than I did before, when I could depend on UA for a decent meal up front.
Even though the UA sandwiches smell good, I've planned my meals/snacks to avoid them, even if it means buying something at the airport.
Absolutely agree. I can see no food at all eventually in Y, unless it's a snack box for sale. The food in F these days could well be as good as it gets. There's an opportunity for airport restaurants to package quality food/meals for travelers. (Grateful to FT comments and photos of those deplorable "breadwiches." ) Thank goodness for Star Alliance carriers who seem motivated to at least "try."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: