Wiki Posts
Search

SDC onto lie-flats to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That doesn't matter, a P is a P. Despite the fare rules restriction already noted, I've made this change via SDC on the app, though it's been a couple of years.

That said, with fares where they currently are (very low), I'd just book the premium t-con to start with.
The problem with this is that I'm trying to also use up some CSR points. It's got a *wonderful* interface, so if you want any flight selection at all, you end up having to go multi-city, and then it's impossible to combine a "regular" domestic segment (ecomony, first) with a PS segment (economy, PE, business) in anything but economy. The customer service reps can't even do it, since they use the same interface as I do.

If anybody has tips on how to fly business PS with a connection on Chase points, I'm all ears. Otherwise, the "SDC onto the lieflats" becomes the primary option.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
If anybody has tips on how to fly business PS with a connection on Chase points, I'm all ears. Otherwise, the "SDC onto the lieflats" becomes the primary option.
That's a UA routing restriction, rather than a Chase portal problem. The only fare UA sells that allow that routing is a full fare J or F.

I wasn't focused on the fact you're trying to route from PDX as opposed to originating in SFO/EWR.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
i thought (at least pre-COVID) most domestic fares on ‘normal’ routes had fare rules specifically not allowing changes to premium TCON. Someone check me on that. If that is the case, and still so, fare class availability wouldn’t matter. If not, While P may not normally be available on SFO-EWR and vv, in that case, couldn’t someone on a regular Z fare still make the change if availability was there?

of course, who knows what the app will allow or not allow on any specific day. And in IRROPS, of course, mostly anything goes. But absent the latter, likely would not be an option. At least I’d personally see that as the expectation.

UPDATE: I just checked myself. Looked at a RT PDX-SFO in F on a random April midweek, and found the following in the fare rules..at least for the outbound (bolding mine). So seems I remember correctly:
The fare rules don't matter for SDC; SDC has always offered things that a de-novo purchase would not. As long as P/Z is available, SDC should offer premium transcon ... it has in my experience.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

That's a UA routing restriction, rather than a Chase portal problem. The only fare UA sells that allow that routing is a full fare J or F.

I wasn't focused on the fact you're trying to route from PDX as opposed to originating in SFO/EWR.
That's not right... I can buy a "round trip" ticket on a P/Z fare from PDX-SFO-EWR just fine. I can price it out on matrix/ITA. I can even buy it on united.com. What I can't do is get anything more than 2-3 options from the Chase portal, a subset of the stuff that I can see elsewhere, and none of which I want.

Anywhere else, I can go to multi-city and pick out the flights I want and it ends up pricing properly. On the chase portal, when you choose multi-city, it asks for "buisness" or "first" for the entire itinerary (instead of leg by leg), and since the fare between PDX-SFO is "first" and SFO-EWR is "business", it can't find either and either sends me to economy of PDX-SFO-EWR (if I choose business) or sends me non-PS PDX-SFO-XXX-EWR (if I choose first).
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
I had an offer to SDC a BOS-ORD p fare to BOS-SFO-ORD, with lie flats on BOS-SFO
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's not right... I can buy a "round trip" ticket on a P/Z fare from PDX-SFO-EWR just fine. I can price it out on matrix/ITA. I can even buy it on united.com. What I can't do is get anything more than 2-3 options from the Chase portal, a subset of the stuff that I can see elsewhere, and none of which I want.

Anywhere else, I can go to multi-city and pick out the flights I want and it ends up pricing properly. On the chase portal, when you choose multi-city, it asks for "buisness" or "first" for the entire itinerary (instead of leg by leg), and since the fare between PDX-SFO is "first" and SFO-EWR is "business", it can't find either and either sends me to economy of PDX-SFO-EWR (if I choose business) or sends me non-PS PDX-SFO-XXX-EWR (if I choose first).
UA won't sell PDX-SFO-EWR as a throughfare, only as an end-on-end combination. You'll get the exact same pricing buying two separate tickets (PDX-SFO, SFO-EWR) from Chase.

ETA: Which means you probably will not be able to SDC this itinerary if you purchase through UA.
cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 8, 2021 at 12:12 pm
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

UA won't sell PDX-SFO-EWR as a throughfare, only as an end-on-end combination. You'll get the exact same pricing buying two separate tickets (PDX-SFO, SFO-EWR) from Chase.

ETA: Which means you probably will not be able to SDC this itinerary if you purchase through UA.
Wow, you know what, you're right! Been doing this a long time and still don't appreciate the nuances. That was very helpful.. and buying two tickets on separate PNR will defeat the purpose of extra $$ for the DPQM run. Drat.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:00 pm

Wow, you know what, you're right! Been doing this a long time and still don't appreciate the nuances. That was very helpful.. and buying two tickets on separate PNR will defeat the purpose of extra $$ for the DPQM run. Drat.
Yeah they call this a "broken fare" and it requires a manual exception to SDC. I'm not sure they'll even consider doing that anymore.

You could book PDX-SFO with miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah they call this a "broken fare" and it requires a manual exception to SDC. I'm not sure they'll even consider doing that anymore.

You could book PDX-SFO with miles.
But there should be no need to do the SDC if you book an end-on-end combination with PS on a single PNR and protected from mis-connects etc. On the flip side if you do book a through fare with non-PS segments, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen SDC offer a segment with PS sometimes, no guarantees of course.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111
But there should be no need to do the SDC if you book an end-on-end combination with PS on a single PNR and protected from mis-connects etc.
It seems you missed OP's explanation that he's unable to book that through Chase.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.