Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA opening new FA new bases - AUS, FLL, SEA & TPA -- February/March 2020

Old Aug 28, 19, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

Tonight on my flight home i sat across from FA jump seats and she was talking with her colleague about possible new FA bases being announced soon. She mentioned SEA and AUS, she lives in SEA and was hoping for and wondering whether she had seniority to be able to get based there.

All conjecture/overheard but interesting none-the-less?
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
United recently added some satellite bases (PHX, SAN, MCO) that function as subsets of existing FA domiciles (SFO, LAX, EWR, respectively). The satellite bases are more about reducing hotel costs and improving reliability for cities with significant mainline operations and lots of commuting FAs, rather than signaling a possibility of more point-to-point flying.

If the company and AFA agree that more satellite bases make sense, AUS and SEA certainly would fit the bill. Iíve also heard of FLL and TPA.
dmurphynj and newbiztraveler like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
United recently added some satellite bases (PHX, SAN, MCO) that function as subsets of existing FA domiciles (SFO, LAX, EWR, respectively). The satellite bases are more about reducing hotel costs and improving reliability for cities with significant mainline operations and lots of commuting FAs, rather than signaling a possibility of more point-to-point flying.

If the company and AFA agree that more satellite bases make sense, AUS and SEA certainly would fit the bill. Iíve also heard of FLL and TPA.
I love this.

Reducing commuting costs, opening more revenue seats, ensuring FAs are where they need to be ... Better quality of life for FAs too. I think it's a win-win-win for the company, for the FAs and for the customers.

Hope the current trial PHX/SAN/MCO is a smashing success.

I'm still blown away at the complex logistics it takes to staff an airline... at the macro level, it's genuinely an amazing thing to see.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:50 am

If these come to reality they would be satellite bases. SEA would be a satellite of SFO and AUS would be a satellite of IAH.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
SEA was a former base for PMUA (and after merger), so I would imagine all the commuters to SFO would like that as an option.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
I love this.

Reducing commuting costs, opening more revenue seats, ensuring FAs are where they need to be ... Better quality of life for FAs too. I think it's a win-win-win for the company, for the FAs and for the customers.

Hope the current trial PHX/SAN/MCO is a smashing success.

I'm still blown away at the complex logistics it takes to staff an airline... at the macro level, it's genuinely an amazing thing to see.
Commuting doesnít take out revenue seats. Crew members commute on a space available basis.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
United recently added some satellite bases (PHX, SAN, MCO) that function as subsets of existing FA domiciles (SFO, LAX, EWR, respectively). ,,,,
Prior thread New FA crew bases - satellite bases MCO, PHX and SAN
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
SEA was a former base for PMUA (and after merger), so I would imagine all the commuters to SFO would like that as an option.
SEA was one of my favorite FA bases. Very pleasant crews always. Even Iris was sweet although a bit slow.
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL/UA
SEA would be good and maybe UA might come back to SEA in a bigger way... but I don't want to get hopes up and get disappointed.

The more flying I do here the more I'm convinced I need to start flying Delta just because of non-stop TPACs... Waking up at 4AM to catch flight to SFO gets old fast...

Wasn't the FA base in SEA closed in 2014? Interesting they would discuss opening one only after five years?
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:54 pm

Yes please Seattle. My most frequent destination. FA base opening would imply no more mainline cuts. One can hope for growth. Between Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing and whatever else is in Seattle, there has got to be tons of $ there.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
Commuting doesnít take out revenue seats. Crew members commute on a space available basis.
Yep, I forgot that's NRSA; I was thinking it's NRPS. Sorry, got 'em backwards.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:55 pm

It all depends on what type of flying out of these satelite bases consists of.

generally, senior stews bid international flying & would rather commute than be a local & fly domestically.
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post

Commuting doesn’t take out revenue seats. Crew members commute on a space available basis.
The problem arises when commuters can't get to their base to start trips. It happens, and it requires considerable reserve coverage even during normal operations. The idea is to have the satellite base staffed with local flight attendants that don't have to commute in.

Cynically, it also allows UA to add some marginal flying within the existing headcount (fewer reserves) and could negatively impact reliability in major IRROPS periods.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:11 am

Announced today 4 additional satellite bases will open early next year. They are:

AUS, FLL, SEA & TPA. AUS, FLL & TPA will open February 2020, while SEA will open March 2020.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Announced today 4 additional satellite bases will open early next year. They are:

AUS, FLL, SEA & TPA. AUS, FLL & TPA will open February 2020, while SEA will open March 2020.
I guess the first round of satellite bases were successful... what are the "home" domiciles for these new ones?

Search this Thread