Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1+ Year Anniversary of Not Flying United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
...UA (which is currently banned in Australia due to travel restrictions for Aussies like myself)
This is factually false. UA is not banned in Australia, and it is not illegal to travel between US and Australia.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
My one year anniversary

It's now been 366 days since I've flown commercially (one year, Feb 17, 2020, but we've had a Feb 29 between then and now). It was a wonderfully uneventful flight on N33103 from EGE to EWR, heading home after a nice ski trip. Hopefully vaccine production picks up and I can get a shot and go somewhere this summer.

N33103 on Feb 17, 2020, KEGE
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
My last UAL flight was sfo-msp in March 2020 so still not a year. Return was DL. The UAL flight was great because msp terminal for UAL has a great donut shop. The dl terminal didn’t have any good donuts and I couldn’t find it.

We had UAL sfo/OGG for April 2020 - I was able to get a full cash refund (after some expected UAL resistance) and when we return to OGG, I really would like to fly with UAL assuming lie-flat F. I’ll venture 2022.

i’m very thankful that one-way flights are roughly half the cost of a round trip. I remember when one-way tickets were sometimes more than a round trip flight. It’s fun to fly different airlines based on fare and schedule to match our desires.

im a kettle so no, UAL isn’t reaching out to me. They know that I’ll fly UAL when the f price is right!
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
i’m very thankful that one-way flights are roughly half the cost of a round trip. I remember when one-way tickets were sometimes more than a round trip flight. It’s fun to fly different airlines based on fare and schedule to match our desires.
Still the case.

I need to fly from MIA to EWR at the end of the month. One-way not much different than roundtrip fares. Heck, I saw one-way Y fare at 1,300+.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I arrived in BCN on March 11, 2020, jsut in time to get locked down in my home in France. I stayed in France as long as I could but finally flew from BCN - FRA-SFO in early June 2020 because of visa issues. Other than one quick trip from SFO-IAD-SFO in July 2020, since then I haven't gone anywhere that I couldn't drive to in about 2 hours or less. Other than the notices about extending my 1K status and the occasional attempt to get me to buy more miles, I did not really hear much from UA.

I got my first shot last week and am scheduled to get my second shot on March 3. I have already booked a flight from SFO-IAD for late March to visit family in DC. It was such a strange experience to book that flight, because I had forgotten everything I ever knew about logging in, checking flights, getting upgrades, accumulating PQPs (what are those anyway?). I am sure that when the time comes, I will realize I have forgotten how to pack, how to navigate security (is pre-check still a thing?), how to board, etc. I think I have a bad case of travel amnesia and will have to relearn all of those skills because I enjoy it too much to give it up.

Safe travels to all.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by 02BNFR
I arrived in BCN on March 11, 2020, jsut in time to get locked down in my home in France. I stayed in France as long as I could but finally flew from BCN - FRA-SFO in early June 2020 because of visa issues. Other than one quick trip from SFO-IAD-SFO in July 2020, since then I haven't gone anywhere that I couldn't drive to in about 2 hours or less. Other than the notices about extending my 1K status and the occasional attempt to get me to buy more miles, I did not really hear much from UA.

I got my first shot last week and am scheduled to get my second shot on March 3. I have already booked a flight from SFO-IAD for late March to visit family in DC. It was such a strange experience to book that flight, because I had forgotten everything I ever knew about logging in, checking flights, getting upgrades, accumulating PQPs (what are those anyway?). I am sure that when the time comes, I will realize I have forgotten how to pack, how to navigate security (is pre-check still a thing?), how to board, etc. I think I have a bad case of travel amnesia and will have to relearn all of those skills because I enjoy it too much to give it up.

Safe travels to all.
This is all very accurate. Packing, navigating the airport, etc. - did not come back like muscle memory as I was expecting. Traveled in January for the first time since March 2020. I guess it shouldn't be surprising as this is the least flying I've done since I was 19 maybe.

Unfortunately until things get closer to normal the travel experience has really lost its luster. I used to really enjoy traveling - even in years I hit ~200k miles. There's a level of subtle anxiety throughout the experience now with masks, being in close quarters, wondering why people have so much trouble properly wearing their masks, not wanting to drink, eat, use the bathroom etc. I'm not saying crippling anxiety - just more thought than it's worth around these things.

Can't wait for the first normal international business class flight I can take for a vacation.
milesmilesmiles and SFO1974 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Last flight on United was a few hours after last year's Superbowl, a 3 am flight from Miami to Kansas City. Needless to say, that is not a route that United ordinarily flies.

I just checked my stats, and I think I have posted under 10 times in the past year. Everything about travel has become less relevant.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Not sure if it rebound before retirement

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wonder what % of UAs elite ranks disappeared a year ago. A lot of us hitting our anniversary!
I know as a 10+ year 1K and 1.6MM I may not make it to 1K ever again if I do retire in 2025 or so. I had hopes of 2MM but that’s a folly. I have foreign business to conduct but until my clients can also travel abroad, I don’t need to go. It’s a part of my life that seems to have disappeared.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Last flight was UA on March 4, 2020 - MEL-LAX-IAH-DCA - returning from Australia. No flights since. Planning to start flying again late summer with flights booked for November.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:58 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I am coming up on one year of no United in mid-March the anniversary of my return from PTY to IAH on business.

A few days before that I had done IAH-DCA for business, and in January IAH-MID. I had dozens of flights to can'x after that.

I am Global Services but have not heard from them.
I will likely have to fly United right around my one year anniversary next month. I am booked IAH-SJT and back in April and IAH-DCA in May and have to go back to Sicily sometime in July, (probably an American Samoa biz trip and Guam and Saipan too but not set in stone) otherwise a VERY weak travel year for me on United so far.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Last flight was 2/26/20 SFO-BOS. Seat 1A. Sad memory it has been a year today
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
Last flight, home, was 23 March. Got first vax, second scheduled for 3 weeks, and I'm about to book my first flights in a year (a couple weeks later). I'm excited but I'm also a bit nervous like a new flyer. How easy will it be to find an early AM Uber? Is check in going to be any different with distancing (hardly room in the terminal at BOS for distanced check in, seems to me). Is overhead going to be full by the time I board with the new boarding order? Am I going to even want to eat on the plane if I bring my own food. How good is mask compliance going to be? Yes I even found dot bomb to be a bit confusing. Maybe I'm going senile!! But looking forward to sitting back and trying to relax while looking down at the world on a transcon.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My last international flight (DL) was in early February 2020. However since that time I have taken short flights < 2 hours on UA, DL and WN. I had no UA flights between early-January and mid-December 2020 - almost a year. I double mask on all flights with an N95 (valve) on the first layer. Shorter flights would seem to present a lower, acceptable risk. To be honest I am more concerned about riding in taxis, shuttle buses or public transit in connection with air travel. Rental cars and my own vehicles are preferable.

One of my colleagues joked that we will all have to re-learn airport security procedures, etc.

As for UA, I find their current fares are extraordinarily high compared to the competition and thus expect that my paid travel will favor B6 and AS more than UA There really is no incentive to fly UA (given the high PQM $$$ requirements) except for business travel, which is currently zilch.

All that said, I currently have reservations for UA international flights to Mexico and the middle east, the latter contingent on vaccination and re-opening of borders to vaccinated tourists. Personally I am hesitant to take longer flights until I receive the vaccine. The exception would be flights where everyone is presumed pre-tested (e.g. to Hawaii)

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 1, 2021 at 6:31 pm
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today is my one year anniversary. In celebration, I booked some award trips in the US and Canada for the summer but we will see what happens. I am not holding my breath.

To me, I find this is a good time to use miles - the award inventory is good and even with no change fees on paid tickets, you end up having to manage the funds, can't merge, can't use residual...

Our management basically said "Oh, I see you guys could get things done without travelling so there won't be much of it going forward". I am sure a lot of others are in the same boat. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 4:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm coming up on my 1 year, last flight was DEN-IAD on 3/15. I typically avoid IAD as BWI way more convenient but I had changed my flight to IAD as the flights were comparatively empty compared to everything still being full at BWI. Almost one year later, I'm getting my first shot this coming week. I'm hoping to fly again late April as I'll have my second shot plus a few weeks by then. Out of all the things involved in flying, I feel the most anxiety about the security line after ID check and shuttle busses/trains. I don't anticipate flying as much as I did in 2019 and early 2020 but I do plan on requalifying for 1K. We'll see though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.