Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn 750 miles when you file your taxes with any qualifying TurboTax product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:28 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Promo arrived today via e-mail from United. T&C says "Valid thru 02/10/21," but the IRS doesn't begin accepted and processing individual tax returns until two days after the expirations date. What gives?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Promo arrived today via e-mail from United. T&C says "Valid thru 02/10/21," but the IRS doesn't begin accepted and processing individual tax returns until two days after the expirations date. What gives?
Normally IRS start accepting late January but changed that mid-January to Feb 12, still not finished with 2019.

Do you have a link to the promo?

Any more details on what qualifies?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Received offer for 500 miles;

Boost your mileage balance
this tax season

Add a little extra onto your return. Earn 500 miles when you file your taxes with any qualifying TurboTax® product. Simply log in to MileagePlus Shopping℠ and click on the TurboTax offer to get started.*

Terms and conditions:

*Rewards can only be earned by filing an online federal tax return (filing must be made between Wednesday, January 6, 2021, and Thursday, April 15, 2021). Eligible TurboTax Online Federal Products are the 2021 online version of TurboTax Free Edition, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Self‑Employed, and TurboTax Live. This offer may not be combined with any other product or offer from TurboTax, limit one (1) redemption per loyalty account number. Federal tax filings made using TurboTax CDs, TurboTax Free File Program, downloaded products, or in‑app purchases are not eligible. Please allow up to eight weeks from the date of your qualified federal tax filing for your bonus offer to be credited. Offer subject to change without notice.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:53 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you have a link to the promo?
The enormously long link appears to have my private info, so I can't post it. But I can say MileagePlus seems to be coordinating with TurboTax because the offer knows the amount of my federal refund before I get to the TurboTax log-in step. Background: In mid-January, I entered my data into TurboTax and it calculated a preliminary amount. (I'm waiting for another 1099 to finish up.) Anyway, since then, I've received e-mails and targeted website ads (which include the dollar amount of my preliminary refund -- so, clearly TT has no problem sharing that data with partners) reminding (nagging) me to "come back and file." In that vein, could this offer be another inducement to do so? Not just a reminder, though, but a reward too?

RNE, purely speculating that one might have to be a TurboTax user to get the offer.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:02 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sgfood
Terms and conditions: *Rewards can only be earned by filing an online federal tax return (filing must be made between Wednesday, January 6, 2021, and Thursday, April 15, 2021)...
Yeah, but when you click the link, the intermediate page says "Valid thru 02/10/21"
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
MileagePlus Shopping TubroTax offer
Now Earn 750 miles
100% Free Federal & State, Plus Free Expert Review. For simple tax returns only. Valid through Feb 10, 2021
Appears valid for all standard TubroTax products including the "free" option.

Note on the paid products best to shop around as you may find $5-$10 less somewhere (but without the 750 miles, so close to a wash)

May go back to 350 miles after 10 Feb??

The IRS change in start of filing does make this a tight window unless offer is updated.
thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:36 pm

sorry to ask something so apparently simply, but..

The offer reads that the bonus is given when you "FILE" with TT products, not "purchase". Does that mean that you can purchase the product outside of the UA promo (for example, months ago) and still get the bonus when you actually file? Or is this a promo that is selling TT software, followed with a bonus connected with the purchase?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Starman
The offer reads that the bonus is given when you "FILE" with TT products, not "purchase". Does that mean that you can purchase the product outside of the UA promo (for example, months ago) and still get the bonus when you actually file? Or is this a promo that is selling TT software, followed with a bonus connected with the purchase?
Are you thinking of the downloadable/CD TT products? Those don’t seem to qualify. The online products are what this is about and they appear to work in “Pay When you File” mode (https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/)

Federal tax filings made using TurboTax CDs, TurboTax Free File Program, downloaded products, or in‑app purchases are not eligible.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:29 am

Thanks, I missed that part of the qualifiers...
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by RNE
Anyway, since then, I've received e-mails and targeted website ads (which include the dollar amount of my preliminary refund -- so, clearly TT has no problem sharing that data with partners) reminding (nagging) me to "come back and file.
This is why I refuse to use TT online products. Get the CD, work offline, and reduce the sharing of your info with Intuit.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note on the paid products best to shop around as you may find $5-$10 less somewhere (but without the 750 miles, so close to a wash)
FWIW, for the home use (ie not on-line) products it's been my experience tht Costco has the best prices every year, usually beginning at the start of January (they have the products in December but they go on sale in January)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.