Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I just saw this and was going to ask the same question - but I dont think it is fair to say UA hasn't done anything...
1) Bonus PQP automatically based on 2020 status
2) Bonus for elites and non-elites for first 3 flights in Q1
3) Reduced requirements overall for getting status

I think UA is in a different situation than BA due to the realities of US domestic travel vs BA domestic....

-m
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mfirst
I think UA is in a different situation than BA due to the realities of US domestic travel vs BA domestic....
For sure, which is why the thread is about intl elites unable to travel on United.
Domestically, there is not really an excuse not to requalify.
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:09 pm

Excuse not to re-qualify?
my last segment cost $39 --> to re-qual for 1k $13,500/$39 = 346 segments
...yes, some are more expensive (and fully how we are complaining about flights being too cheap)......

-m
Doppy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Excuse not to re-qualify?
my last segment cost $39 --> to re-qual for 1k $13,500/$39 = 346 segments
...yes, some are more expensive (and fully how we are complaining about flights being too cheap)......
Also, the schedule cuts (across all carriers) have turned many of us into free agents. I'm even less interested in connecting now, since in addition to adding time, it increases COVID risk. My domestic spend is now spread among four carriers based on their ability to fly me nonstop at a time that works.

Not to mention that the driver of my qualification has always been long-haul international, which has mostly been shut down for US residents.

Suspect that BA's move is just the beginning.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Also, the schedule cuts (across all carriers) have turned many of us into free agents. I'm even less interested in connecting now, since in addition to adding time, it increases COVID risk. My domestic spend is now spread among four carriers based on their ability to fly me nonstop at a time that works.

Not to mention that the driver of my qualification has always been long-haul international, which has mostly been shut down for US residents.

Suspect that BA's move is just the beginning.
And the main benefit of qualifying was long-haul international travel: GPUs/PlusPoints and improved award inventory. For domestic travel status is nice but not nearly as strong an incentive.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
For those of us who have lifetime *G status, there is even less incentive to try qualifying for 1K under current circumstances. This may have been a blessing in disguise to not be obsessed on qualifying for 1K anymore.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:18 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
It's looking more and more likely that intercontinental flights won't really resume in volume until August or Fall, if then.

If that's the case, those who rely on leisure travel on long-haul flights to qualify will be out of luck for qualification?

Or will UA adjust the qualifications to account for flight volume not picking up until fairly late this year?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:26 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by exp
It's looking more and more likely that intercontinental flights won't really resume in volume until August or Fall, if then.

If that's the case, those who rely on leisure travel on long-haul flights to qualify will be out of luck for qualification?

Or will UA adjust the qualifications to account for flight volume not picking up until fairly late this year?
My take is...I'm getting to that 1k threshold-only. With the initial bonus, and the cc bonuses being applied to PQP, it really doesn't leave that much needed.
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exp
In addition to extending all existing elites for the rest of the year + Jan 2022, UA has also reduced qualification requirements, provided goodwill adjustment, and matched bonuses on this quarter's flights. With the understanding this is not an one shoe fits all situation, as some may not be able to take advantage of these changes, will UA make additional updates? Anyone's guesses at this point.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2021 at 10:55 am Reason: Cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exp
...If that's the case, those who rely on leisure travel on long-haul flights to qualify will be out of luck for qualification?...
Here in Hawaii, we call anything longer than 318 miles (Hilo-Lihue) "long-haul" - and I'll be re-qualifying...
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
In addition to extending all existing elites for the rest of the year + Jan 2022, UA has also reduced qualification requirements, provided goodwill adjustment, and matched bonuses on this quarter's flights.
All of which are useless for people without current access to United's network.

We get it, you still fly for work. But the vast majority of OPM are currently grounded, even domestically. Never mind anyone outside the US, who currently cannot fly United (including all their European/Asian OPM flyers)

The question remains, will United (or actually AA/DL, because UA will just follow what they do), be willing to lose their work flyer base and/or their intl elite base for 2022.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
All of which are useless for people without current access to United's network.
If you would have quoted my entire post, you would have seen my acknowledgement:

Originally Posted by Repooc17
With the understanding this is not an one shoe fits all situation, as some may not be able to take advantage of these changes, will UA make additional updates? Anyone's guesses at this point.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We get it, you still fly for work. But the vast majority of OPM are currently grounded, even domestically. Never mind anyone outside the US, who currently cannot fly United (including all their European/Asian OPM flyers)

The question remains, will United (or actually AA/DL, because UA will just follow what they do), be willing to lose their work flyer base and/or their intl elite base for 2022.
I fly for work because it's a job requirement, and I wouldn't have a job otherwise. That said, almost all of my UA flights are leisure, as in, I am paying for them out of my own pocket.

UA has done the most out of all three legacies. DL hasn't done anything for qualifications; while AA has similar incentives as UA for next year's qualifications.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by D582
I re-earned 1K last year at the reduced qualification requirements. I do hope there is some consideration of those who did ‘earn’ last year vs. those who did not.
Based on my current travel plans for 2021, I will re-qualify for 1K for 2022. What will be my incentive/reward over all non-flyers if UA will extend status to all members? I will still end up behind a non-flying GS on the upgrade list. That is not the way to keep my loyalty... How about a 1K+ status for members that re-qualify on their own just for the transition into 2023?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:05 am

I will probably make 1K (based upon that it is barely mid-march and I am half-way between gold and platinum based upon the current system and spend) - the incentives and bonuses are nice as I slug it out 1 segment at a time - with many costing <$50.... they have just started opening up non-stops between ATW-DEN vs my routine of ATW-ORD-DEN (and back) which is often more $ and segments..... in the past I typically made 1K much later in the year and often based upon unplanned international travel.....

yes - will be interesting if they extend status to all, but differentiate those who are actually traveling..... (I think last year, the extended Plat/1K - but didnt give any plus points)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

yes - will be interesting if they extend status to all, but differentiate those who are actually traveling..... (I think last year, the extended Plat/1K - but didnt give any plus points)
Throw some extra upgrades your way like they did for those of us who requalified in 2020....

There is a difference between those who are not flying United by choice, and those who cannot fly United because they dont have access to United.
If you are in the US, there is no reason not to requalify. If you are in Europe, no matter how hard you try, you cant requalify.
gcashin and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.