Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The Hawaii "Safe Travels" program ends on March 25, 2022. For more information, please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-ends-march-25-2022-a.html

Wristband access
Most UCs
EWR: C104
IAD:
ORD: 7/17 UC@B16, gate@C16 || 7/29 not avail at UC@B6, yes avail at gate@B16
IAH: E7
DEN: online screening/verification then B34 or club
LAX: T7 customer service desk, around the corner from 70A
SFO: F15/16; Designated desk pre-security at Door 3.
SNA: Opposite Gate10

United Makes Hawaii Travel Easier with Expanded COVID Testing and Pre-Clearance Program

Customers traveling to the islands can save time by showing proof of negative tests at United's hub airports and skip document screening process in Hawaii

CHICAGO, Jan. 27, 2021
Beginning February 1, United customers traveling to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 test can show their results before boarding to save time and skip document screening lines upon arrival. The new pre-clearance process will be in place for customers traveling on 110 of United's weekly flights to Hawaii.

United is also making it easier to get the right tests to avoid Hawaii's 14-day quarantine by making approved COVID-19 tests available to all customers traveling to the islands no matter where in the U.S. their travel begins.

"We're making it easier for customers traveling to Hawaii to spend more time enjoying their trip and less time waiting in lines," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "Testing is the key to opening domestic and international travel so we'll continue to lead the way in rolling out solutions that are simple and safe so our customers have what they need when they take their next trip with us."

To begin the pre-clearance program, customers will enroll in Hawaii's Safe Travels program and complete Hawaii's COVID-19 questionnaire within 24 hours from departure. Next, customers will use the Safe Travels website to upload their negative test results from one of Hawaii's trusted testing partners which must be taken within 72 hours of their departure. At the airport, customers will see a United team member at the gate for their flight to Hawaii where they will receive a wristband if they qualify to bypass airport screening in Hawaii. Customers who have been pre-cleared will be able to skip test screenings in Hawaii and begin their trip as soon as they land.

For images of United's pre-clearance program click here.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Print Wikipost

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by bajong
Does anyone know if the United Club in SFO does the Hawaii pre-clearance inside the club? I know that the United Club in LAX can do the pre-clearance for Hawaii as we have done it there a few times before. We were just wondering as we are connecting through SFO tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance.
Yes! I did it last month and it was very convenient.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just a reminder that wrist bands are not required. I have never gotten a wrist band on my past three trips to the Islands. This AM at SFO there were probably 100 people in line to get the wrist bands at gate F17 as there were flights heading out to both OGG and KOA at nearly the same time. KOA even now has a line for "non wrist banded" paxs and I cleared it in literally a couple of minutes. So don't freak if you are running a bit late and are confronted with a huge preclearance line, just board and handle it upon arrival.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:45 am

Any recent experiences with getting wristbands at ORD, including whether available at UC (and which one)?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MagMile
Any recent experiences with getting wristbands at ORD, including whether available at UC (and which one)?
Well, within the last month there is a "yes" at B16 UC and a "no" at B6 UC, and in both cases the wristband was also available from the departure gate.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
Just a reminder that wrist bands are not required....So don't freak if you are running a bit late and are confronted with a huge preclearance line, just board and handle it upon arrival.
Good reminder.

For me, my first time through the process, I was glad to get the wristband because I knew I had done all of the steps right.

If it had turned out my vaccine card wasn't acceptable or I hadn't gotten tested at the right place or whatever, I would have preferred to find out at my home airport and delay my trip by a day, rather than the arrivals line in KOA.

Now that i'm more familiar with the process, I would not fret about getting on a flight without a wristband if pressed for time.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I would like to ask you if the pre clearance can be done also in other airport than the one from where you fly directly to Hawaii.
For example if connecting in IAH and SFO could we already go to the UC in IAH and get there the wristband? Has anybody tried it?
Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I would like to ask you if the pre clearance can be done also in other airport than the one from where you fly directly to Hawaii.
For example if connecting in IAH and SFO could we already go to the UC in IAH and get there the wristband? Has anybody tried it?
Thanks
I will refresh my question because I in theory I think the pre clear should be possible in other airport with Hawaii flights also right?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I will refresh my question because I in theory I think the pre clear should be possible in other airport with Hawaii flights also right?
At the UC I do not think they looked at my boarding pass (other than barcode scan to enter the club) so I don't think they would even know you aren't on a nonstop, unless there aren't any or the only nonstop has already departed or something.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just flew back with yet another pax who got reject in Hawaii for having a negative test but from a non approved lab. He was with his entire family and got turned around in KOA to head back to SFO to retest at SFO and then try and get the next AM flight back to KOA. Pretty harsh three 1/2 TPACS in 24 hrs!! This is like 5th time I have personally run into people who have done this. Sad, but I guess novice travelers to Hawaii just figure get any test. He said he went to a "travel test site" which I have heard before as well. You would think that the so called travelers test site would inform the pax if they were going to Hawaii they are not approved.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just flew back with yet another pax who got reject in Hawaii for having a negative test but from a non approved lab. He was with his entire family and got turned around in KOA to head back to SFO to retest at SFO and then try and get the next AM flight back to KOA. Pretty harsh three 1/2 TPACS in 24 hrs!! This is like 5th time I have personally run into people who have done this. Sad, but I guess novice travelers to Hawaii just figure get any test. He said he went to a "travel test site" which I have heard before as well. You would think that the so called travelers test site would inform the pax if they were going to Hawaii they are not approved.
You really have to make a colossal mistake and miss clear warnings even if you don't preclear. And UA is pretty good about directing people to preclear.

As soon as you click the Covid NAAT/PCR test exception box on the safe travel website a popup comes and clearly says in bullet #1
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You really have to make a colossal mistake and miss clear warnings even if you don't preclear. And UA is pretty good about directing people to preclear...
Agree - you can provide people with all the info they need, but some will ignore it or think they can get away with something not in line with the requirements. I have zero sympathy for the decision-maker(s) of the group, but feel sorry for the others who depended on the bonehead(s) who led them down the wrong path. Lesson learned? Who knows? There are some people who just don't learn...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You really have to make a colossal mistake and miss clear warnings even if you don't preclear. And UA is pretty good about directing people to preclear.

As soon as you click the Covid NAAT/PCR test exception box on the safe travel website a popup comes and clearly says in bullet #1
I suspect he didn't upload anything and just boarded (which you can indeed do). Needless to say he didn't feel like talking about it as he was pretty PO'ed about the whole situation so I didn't probe. I told him to re-test right at SFO which he planned on doing.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...he was pretty PO'ed about the whole situation...
I'm sure he was trying to blame anything/anyone but himself. Sounds like a "travel web site" was his initial target. I've see travelers start yelling at the document checkers on Maui. Luckily, OGG's often stationed an airport police officer in the vicinity and it doesn't get out of hand.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
+1 and I are flying UA363 today, the EWR-HNL non-stop. We’re departing from Gate 102 so it was very easy to pop over to Gate 104 to get our wristbands. There wasn’t any line at all and we got our wristbands and green check on SafeTravels with plenty of time to spare.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
flying UA363 today, the EWR-HNL non-stop. We’re departing from Gate 102 so it was very easy to pop over to Gate 104 to get our wristbands. There wasn’t any line at all and we got our wristbands and green check on SafeTravels with plenty of time to spare.
Sadly - demand to Hawaii has dropped by over 50% so not surprising wristbands were easy - your mostly empty plane even flew with empty F seats which used to be unheard of on this route.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.