Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The Hawaii "Safe Travels" program ends on March 25, 2022. For more information, please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-ends-march-25-2022-a.html

Wristband access
Most UCs
EWR: C104
IAD:
ORD: 7/17 UC@B16, gate@C16 || 7/29 not avail at UC@B6, yes avail at gate@B16
IAH: E7
DEN: online screening/verification then B34 or club
LAX: T7 customer service desk, around the corner from 70A
SFO: F15/16; Designated desk pre-security at Door 3.
SNA: Opposite Gate10

United Makes Hawaii Travel Easier with Expanded COVID Testing and Pre-Clearance Program

Customers traveling to the islands can save time by showing proof of negative tests at United's hub airports and skip document screening process in Hawaii

CHICAGO, Jan. 27, 2021
Beginning February 1, United customers traveling to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 test can show their results before boarding to save time and skip document screening lines upon arrival. The new pre-clearance process will be in place for customers traveling on 110 of United's weekly flights to Hawaii.

United is also making it easier to get the right tests to avoid Hawaii's 14-day quarantine by making approved COVID-19 tests available to all customers traveling to the islands no matter where in the U.S. their travel begins.

"We're making it easier for customers traveling to Hawaii to spend more time enjoying their trip and less time waiting in lines," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "Testing is the key to opening domestic and international travel so we'll continue to lead the way in rolling out solutions that are simple and safe so our customers have what they need when they take their next trip with us."

To begin the pre-clearance program, customers will enroll in Hawaii's Safe Travels program and complete Hawaii's COVID-19 questionnaire within 24 hours from departure. Next, customers will use the Safe Travels website to upload their negative test results from one of Hawaii's trusted testing partners which must be taken within 72 hours of their departure. At the airport, customers will see a United team member at the gate for their flight to Hawaii where they will receive a wristband if they qualify to bypass airport screening in Hawaii. Customers who have been pre-cleared will be able to skip test screenings in Hawaii and begin their trip as soon as they land.

For images of United's pre-clearance program click here.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Print Wikipost

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Passing through LAX over the weekend, there was a guy standing just after security up the stair/escalator with a sign for Hawaii flyers.

​​​​​​The flight to EWR (the one I was one) and the flight to HNL board next to each other, so much confusing among travelers, including a few boarded the wrong flight. Multiple announcements about preclear process. Not sure how many pax were on the HNL flight, but there were at least 250 on the flight to EWR (78J).

Side note, someone took my seat upon boarding - tried to offer me his middle seat (B)...he was traveling with another pax, was also in a middle seat (E) in the same row - I mean, is there a seat pairing where B & E are next to each other? Come on now
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I know this is the SFO thread, but at LAX last week, I had noticed a bunch of CLEAR agents roaming around the gate area flagging down random/possible HI bound flight pax, and checking for wristband, test result, etc. Is this new?

I don't think they were also selling CLEAR memberships, but I wasn't eavesdropping on conversations.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
...I had noticed a bunch of CLEAR agents roaming around the gate area...checking for...test result...
There is absolutely no possible reason Clear agents should be asking for test results. The only people who should be getting access to test results are the designated Hawaii pre-clearance agents, and they only get to see them if you volunteer to go through the pre-clearance process in order to avoid quarantine (one can still go through the pre-clearance process, not show a test, get a wristband and go into quarantine). If Clear agents are asking to see medical records, they should be run out of the concourse. Are you sure of what you saw? The only other reason I can see is if UA has contracted with Clear to do pre-clearance work. Up to now, it's been UA agents.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There is absolutely no possible reason Clear agents should be asking for test results. The only people who should be getting access to test results are the designated Hawaii pre-clearance agents, and they only get to see them if you volunteer to go through the pre-clearance process in order to avoid quarantine (one can still go through the pre-clearance process, not show a test, get a wristband and go into quarantine). If Clear agents are asking to see medical records, they should be run out of the concourse. Are you sure of what you saw? The only other reason I can see is if UA has contracted with Clear to do pre-clearance work. Up to now, it's been UA agents.
They all had CLEAR logo on their clothing - all three of them. I witnessed the first two pax (traveling together), acknowledging, and showing agents their wristbands; another pax a few minutes later being guided downloading some kind of app; and another pax showing an agent some kind of document, which I assumed as his test result.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
They all had CLEAR logo on their clothing - all three of them. I witnessed the first two pax (traveling together), acknowledging, and showing agents their wristbands; another pax a few minutes later being guided downloading some kind of app; and another pax showing an agent some kind of document, which I assumed as his test result.
Must be working with UA is the only thing I can think of. If so, UA ought to be informing people Clear employees are part of the pre-clearance effort. If Clear employees are being used, that actually might be a good idea as travel ramps up - frees UA agents (and might be cheaper for UA).
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Perhaps CLEAR is thinking of getting into the COVID passport business or some similar activity and getting some potential customer feedback??
Just a guess, as they do some biometrics already.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clear is testing a program called Health Pass with United. Right now I think it's only at LAX for HNL, but you can upload your stuff into the Clear app and I guess get the quarantine waiver that way.

They plan to expand into the vaccine passport business as well.
Dyce likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Flew SFO-OGG on Friday. We were pre-cleared in the Global Services Reception - a total breeze as F16 was very busy. 45 minutes from landing to the beach was a record.

On arrival in OGG the line for non- pre-cleared was the entire length of the terminal. I have never seen anything quite like it - maybe Mexico City. Neighbors here waited over 3 hours to be processed. They will never fly Southwest again, that’s for sure.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:54 am

Does anyone have a recent (aka during spring break) estimate on how long the line takes at F16? Do we need to arrive 1 hr early, or more like 15 min? Also, can this be used for travel to LIH? We are using the resort bubble in Kauai, but the Hawaii website doesn't allow you to upload the PDF when travelling to Kauai.

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ploo
Does anyone have a recent (aka during spring break) estimate on how long the line takes at F16? Do we need to arrive 1 hr early, or more like 15 min? Also, can this be used for travel to LIH? We are using the resort bubble in Kauai, but the Hawaii website doesn't allow you to upload the PDF when travelling to Kauai.

Thanks
I can't speak for travel to LIH although they are open for business in early April without quarantine for test result.

I did F16 last Monday - on that particular day, nobody was in the premier access line - about 20 in the other line and moving relatively quickly. Have your QR code and ID handy and it should go quickly.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...I did F16 last Monday - on that particular day, nobody was in the premier access line - about 20 in the other line and moving relatively quickly. Have your QR code and ID handy and it should go quickly.
I agree - UA has the pre-clearance area well-staffed and they know what they’re doing. Allocating 15 minutes for the process is probably enough.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I agree - UA has the pre-clearance area well-staffed and they know what they’re doing. Allocating 15 minutes for the process is probably enough.
Thanks for the quick replies. We are gold, so I'm not sure if we qualify for the premier line. My worry was just because we leave at the 11am bank when there are 2 777's leaving for HNL+OGG, plus a flight to KOA.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the quick replies. We are gold, so I'm not sure if we qualify for the premier line. My worry was just because we leave at the 11am bank when there are 2 777's leaving for HNL+OGG, plus a flight to KOA.
Gold qualifies
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:37 am

there was no line today even though sfo is quite busy. Tsa pre line was back to the boarding pass checker. Note that right now they can’t clear for Kauai but that goes away on April 5.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD

Thanks
Just flew SFO- OGG yesterday. The line at pre-clearance at F16-17 was never more than a couple people...they had 6 or 7 people working. Saved us 45 minutes easy at OGG...the line was huge. Our baggage carousel was next to the Southwest carousel. Their baggage was going round and round, a few people trickling in to claim, but most were stuck in the very long line. Preclearance is awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.