Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA still have intra-Asia flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Does UA still have intra-Asia flights?

Does UA still have any intra-asia flights on UA planes?

Years ago, there are a bunch from NRT to BKK/SIN/ICN/SGN but I dont see those routes using UA metal anymore.

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
.... Years ago, there are a bunch from NRT to BKK/SIN/ICN/SGN but I dont see those routes using UA metal anymore. ...
Those NRT flights are long gone -- 2017? and earlier

UA Cancels Last 5th Freedom Widebody: SIN-HKG.

also https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-closing.html

Was hinted at in late 2020 but was never bookable?? HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)
HawaiiO likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2021 at 7:04 am Reason: HKG-SIN
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:26 am
Original Poster

ahhh thanks

So lame...those intra asia flights were nice.

Maybe UA will bring those back in the future...hopefully!
Antonio8069 and bajong like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
ahhh thanks

So lame...those intra asia flights were nice.

Maybe UA will bring those back in the future...hopefully!
Consensus on the forum is that these flights won't return (ROI not there, rather push it off to aANA (JV) or OZ(*A, though OZ will likely leave *A due to takeover by KE)

Fly the island hopper if you still want a unique UA route (hawaii-guam-asia). Wait, that routes also going to pieces
UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....
DiamondMile, HawaiiO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sat across the aisle from a commuting UA captain last week. Had a great talk about the good-ole-days, especially the NRT-BKK tag flight. I was a frequent passenger on that one, and he flew it some as well.
Interestingly, it apparently wasn't viewed as a great trip from an hour / build perspective for bidding, etc.

But brought back great memories of the Upper Deck 747 ride from NRT into Bangkok...

God I miss it.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
But brought back great memories of the Upper Deck 747 ride from NRT into Bangkok...
Those were the days! UA actually had a FA base at BKK (and SIN) 20 years ago. Now they don't even fly to BKK.

Also, not mentioned, UA flew NRT-TPE years ago.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
NRT-HKG many years ago too
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sat across the aisle from a commuting UA captain last week. Had a great talk about the good-ole-days, especially the NRT-BKK tag flight. I was a frequent passenger on that one, and he flew it some as well.
Interestingly, it apparently wasn't viewed as a great trip from an hour / build perspective for bidding, etc.

God I miss it.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Those were the days! UA actually had a FA base at BKK (and SIN) 20 years ago. Now they don't even fly to BKK.

Also, not mentioned, UA flew NRT-TPE years ago.
Originally Posted by kevflyer
NRT-HKG many years ago too
How much of the UA Asia structure was because of its purchase of Pan Am's Pacific routes?

David
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
How much of the UA Asia structure was because of its purchase of Pan Am's Pacific routes?

David
All except two routes, both out of SEA then:

Prior to the Pan Am deal, United operated just two routes across the Pacific — one from Seattle to Hong Kong and another from Seattle to Narita International Airport outside Tokyo.
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...amdeal-in.html
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by kevflyer
All except two routes, both out of SEA then:

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...amdeal-in.html
(Need to edit my response). UA was flying SEA-HKG and SEA-NRT before the final purchase of PA's Pacific routes and aircraft. From memory, UA had been fighting for years to get some Pacific route authorities and had finally gotten three: SEA-TYO, SEL and HKG and then gave them up to get approval for the Pan Am deal. Maybe Seoul was not operation at the time of the purchase. HKG certainly was, I remember taking one of their first flights!
HawaiiO likes this.

Last edited by uanj; Jan 25, 2021 at 12:30 am
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I posted the intra-Asia routes UA had flown in an older thread, but cannot find it anymore. Being a frequent UA intra-Asia flyer in the 90s, here is a list (others feel free to add if I miss anything):

One time or another (not all routes were on the schedule at the same time)

NRT-PVG/SHA
NRT-PEK
NRT-GUM
NRT-SEL/ICN
NRT-MNL
NRT-HKG
NRT-TPE
NRT-BKK
NRT-SIN

KIX-GUM
KIX-SPN

HKG-SIN
HKG-BKK
HKG-SGN

TPE-MNL
TPE-BKK
TPE-SEL
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've taken the NRT to BKK/SIN/HKG/ICN flights as well as the MNL to ICN, HKG to SIN/SGN flights and even PVG to GUM. I very much enjoyed getting hammered in biz or first on the USA-NRT portion of many of those trips and then sleeping for 6 or 7 hours on the way to BKK or SIN, oh to be young again! Both UA and NW had great hub operations in NRT and the time from 2-6pm every day was jammed packed. Taking a shower in the NRT FC lounge was always a treat.

None of these tag flights will be back. Even I switched to Cathay many years ago, UA can't compete inter Asia with either the LCCs or the regional full cost carriers.
HawaiiO and Wyfind like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Sadly for those who travel there, the NRT-MNL route was cancelled by PA shortly before after (?) selling its routes to UA. There were problems with low fares, but also with security — an attempted bombing.

I was a Reservations Sales Representative at SFORR from 1985-87 and well remember the excitement of the acquisition of Pan Am's Pacific routes 35 years ago in January 1986. I had one month to go before becoming eligible for full Non-Rev privileges.

I quickly began planning a 3-day trip to SYD (which turned into 4 days when I didn't clear standby on the return — I still have the crossed out departure stamp on an old passport.)

The first segment of the SFO-LAX-SYD "direct" flight became known as a "Non-Rev" special, because it left from the international gates and they didn't sell domestic segments — so it was an easy way for junior employees to get to LAX, and hence to HNL.

Eventually UA would make it to MNL through the CO merger, taking over the Continental Micronesia (CS) GUM hub. To this day UA flies NRT-GUM.

UA also had KIX-SPN service in the mid-1990s that I flew in 1995.
jsloan, truncated, HawaiiO and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 25, 2021 at 1:03 am
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Eventually UA would make it to MNL through the CO merger,
It's the last non-Japan Asia route out of GUM now
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

God I miss it.
Agree on the 747-400 Upper Deck Intra-Asia experience.

Before the 747-400, UA operated mostly 747-100 in the 90s on its intra-Asia routes. Those old J seats on the smaller upper deck was not as good an experience as the 744.

My favorite intra-Asia seat on the 747-100 is the single J seat in row 16 and 17 on the right side of the aircraft. Those were the best seats before Polaris or any of the current new all aisle access seats available on various airlines. Roomy with side table and also quiet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.