Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Cancels Last 5th Freedom Widebody: SIN-HKG.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM

Buried in the press release of the LAX-SIN announcement UA announced that it will be canceling SIN-HKG which is their last fifth freedom flight

With the launch of new nonstop service between SIN and LAX on Oct. 29, the airline will terminate service from Hong Kong (HKG) to SIN on Oct. 27, and from SIN to HKG on Oct. 28. United will continue to operate daily service between SIN and SFO.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
good bye SGN

good bye BKK

good bye SIN

intra asia on UA metal
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It seems for the greater good of fleet utilization that this is a good thing. Yes, those of us shooting for MM will miss these intra-Asia flights, and for BKK, this is a big gap in direct UA flights, but overall, this makes sense.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
United used to have an amazing network in Asia!! I loved the HKG crews and flying United within Asia. The friendly skies and the 3 class 747s will be missed in Asia. Sad to see UA presence shrink in the Pacfic!!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm trying to think of the various UA intra Asia flights I have taken:

NRT-TPE
NRT-ICN
PEK-NRT
Either NGO or KIX-TPE (forget which)
HKG-SGN
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Between this and Delta's draw down of the NRT mini-hub (and already announced KE JV that will likely push all connecting traffic via ICN), it seems US carrier fifth freedom flights as a whole are nearing extinction.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
United used to have an amazing network in Asia!! I loved the HKG crews and flying United within Asia. The friendly skies and the 3 class 747s will be missed in Asia. Sad to see UA presence shrink in the Pacfic!!
Loss of NRT-BKK hurts the most.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: DL,EK
Really sad day. My dad flew for UA back in the 80s and I can remember flying all over Asia (BKK, SIN, HKG, SEL, TPE...) on UA. Those days are gone.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:51 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Pretty sure with the arrivals of more 787s and A350s, we may see direct West Coast to BKK, Saigon, etc access. We'll just have to wait and see. As demonstrated, no one can predict what United will do. I'll take direct flights over 2 hour connections in NRT anyday, as much as long flights suck. At the end of the day time is money.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Loss of NRT-BKK hurts the most.
Agree ^

Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
Pretty sure with the arrivals of more 787s and A350s, we may see direct West Coast to BKK, Saigon, etc access. We'll just have to wait and see. As demonstrated, no one can predict what United will do. I'll take direct flights over 2 hour connections in NRT anyday, as much as long flights suck. At the end of the day time is money.
I am more ambivalent about these long, direct flights and miss the NRT setup. Sure, I get that it can shave a couple hours off of total trip time, but if I am travelling USA->South East Asia, it really isn't that impactful...especially from East Coast.

Also causes higher risks of cancels (crew time outs).

I have come to prefer routing the other way, through Europe, with 2 long legs and a break in between. But airlines tend to charge way more $ for that route, even though it is about the same distance.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
For those wanting 4 UA metal segments without going to the States, it will be PVG-GUM, HKG-GUM or from various cities in Japan.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
For those wanting 4 UA metal segments without going to the States, it will be PVG-GUM, HKG-GUM or from various cities in Japan.
Last I checked GUM is a U.S. Territory
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by N104UA
Last I checked GUM is a U.S. Territory
People of US territories refer to US proper as "States".
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm trying to think of the various UA intra Asia flights I have taken:

NRT-TPE
NRT-ICN
PEK-NRT
Either NGO or KIX-TPE (forget which)
HKG-SGN
No NRT-SIN? (Which, plus NRT-ICN, is one of the two I've done).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
If you're already on the WC, this is probably a net improvement. For us east coasters, not necessarily, as NRT is much closer to GC route than SFO/LAX (and for IAD travelers like me is still a non-stop).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.