Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JetLife
It wasn’t weather related. Something was wrong with plane engine.

damn, no comp at all for full 24 hour delay...some customer service.
I've never heard of UA not giving any comp for a 24-hour mechanical delay. It's possible it could happen, but not likely.

Most likely is $50 - $150 voucher plus they should have provided hotel and meals.

People on this thread are being pedantic because it's not required and thus isn't "compensation".
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JetLife
It wasn’t weather related. Something was wrong with plane engine.

damn, no comp at all for full 24 hour delay...some customer service.
If it was MX cancellation, UA will provide something. If you didn't receive an email within 24 hours, go to UA's Customer Appreciation website ?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
1. Downgrade from PP (GPUed) on EWR-SFO
2. 2hr delay caused misconnect to SFO-HKG by 10min. Refused to hold even though flight was expected 15 min early, left early.
16hr overnight delay cost me 700 of prebooked travel
3. WIFI working less than 50% if each flight

Have $500 ETC, WiFi refund.

Tried asking for more and was refused.
I suspect I would have gotten a little more had I submitted the downgrade and misconnect separately.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
$200ETC for in-flight MX

On Saturday, I was on UA6064 IAD-MHT (CR7) that couldn't climb above 5000ft due to "pressurization system" issue. Burned off some fuel for half an hour, then landed back at IAD. After landing, deboarded and waited for the assigned replacement aircraft. Half an hour later (3h after scheduled departure), flight was canceled.

Received $200 ETC. For a $111 BE ticket.

This was a MR for 250PQM, called MPSC and they were able to credit me the flight, as the ticket was "used". Made my mileage for the year! And I'm thinking I can get the MHT-IAD half refunded, too?

And as I'm typing this, I just received a email: "Tell us about your travel experience on 12/14/2019 for your trip from Washington DC to Manchester"! At first I thought it was the usual survey, but seems this is specifically for the cancellation experience. Wow, it seems they are actually improving.

BTW, I think compensation also differs based on status level. In the past, I received compensation on a flight that bumped my level. The amount went up $25 when I went from Gold to Plat. Perhaps that's the reason some offers seem so low? (i.e. #1353)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
UA30 on Dec 14 from EWR to MUC. Delayed for 4.5 hours due to mechanical issues. Missed my once a day connection in MUC, was rebooked for +1 connection and got to my destination 8 hours later than the original flight. Got $250 ETC.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wh6cto
This was a MR for 250PQM, called MPSC and they were able to credit me the flight, as the ticket was "used". Made my mileage for the year! And I'm thinking I can get the MHT-IAD half refunded, too?
Generally, you would be able to get original routing credit (ORC) or a refund, but not both. If you don't need ORC from the return flight, and your ORC for the outbound has already posted, you should be able to request a refund of the return.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wh6cto

Received $200 ETC. For a $111 BE ticket.

This was a MR for 250PQM)
Well done, wh6cto!
btw, did you post this MR run request on UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed ?Just kidding. You did a great job in responding all end-of-year requests there while I was in China (OJ China runs) and a conference in SF last week.

Back to the content for this thread, United sent me $175 voucher for messing up upgrade (IAD-SFO) and $200 for misconnection due to operation difficulties at SLC (shortage of ramp workers resulted in a delayed departure) and 45-min landing-to-parking at EWR (operations center did not know the airfield while assigned and re-assigned gates for this flight). I missed the last EWR-RIC flight and switched to a later EWR-ORF flight. I had to drive to RIC from my home to pick up my car and a lost bag next morning. A bag was strayed at SLC but (rush) delivered to RIC. We had three people in our group; so a total of $600 for our troubles. Thank you, United.

Originally Posted by eng3
1. Downgrade from PP (GPUed) on EWR-SFO
2. 2hr delay caused misconnect to SFO-HKG by 10min. Refused to hold even though flight was expected 15 min early, left early.
16hr overnight delay cost me 700 of prebooked travel
3. WIFI working less than 50% if each flight

Have $500 ETC, WiFi refund.

Tried asking for more and was refused.
I suspect I would have gotten a little more had I submitted the downgrade and misconnect separately.
Did you get the PlusPoints back? Did United pay for your hotel stay? If so, $500 is not bad.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2019 at 9:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did you get the PlusPoints back? Did United pay for your hotel stay? If so, $500 is not bad.
No PP back because of the upgrade on the intl flight. Yes, ofcourse, UA paid for the hotel stay, delay was their fault and I'm 1K. Though my CC insurance would have covered it.

An F-Y downgrade would be $500 per their policy. This is PP-Y so I'd atleast expect $250. They were offering $2000 to anyone in F willing to go down to Y or take a later flight. A 16hr delay due to a mis-connect, I'd expect $500 just for that, definitely more than $300. So either way, I think $500 is low.
I guess I was just upset because they refused to hold the flight so that they could arrive 20min early instead of waiting and being ontime. Also, usually when I complain that the number is low and have some legitimate reason, they throw me a bone and give me some more. This is the first time they refused.

Now on the return, I had some IFE issues on the intl flight. So still being mad about the outbound, I complained. The connecting flight was delayed 2hrs due to weather. I normally wouldnt complain about a weather delay but I just mentioned it in my IFE complaint. They gave $400 which to me is rather high. So I guess on average it evens out.

There is no logic when it comes to the amounts. There seems to be some limit where they don't like to go above $500 per incident no matter how bad it is. Other than that, it seems like the amount is random, you might get $2-300 for a tiny complaint like power plug not working or wifi broken, and then $100-$200 for a lengthy delay due to their fault.

I'm basing these amounts on my own history.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by eng3
There seems to be some limit where they don't like to go above $500 per incident no matter how bad it is.
This is definitely true, $500 seems to be the cap for non-contractual "customer service gesture" type vouchers, regardless of the issue.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree on the $500 per an incident but did have a 2.5 week span this summer where I had the below. After the 4th Mechanical Issue in Montreal I lost my mind because I missed an important family event and sent a scathing e-mail where they offered an additional $300 as a general apology. I contacted them via Twitter/Instagram/Facebook as well as copied in Oscar Munoz E-mail (although handled by someone filtering his e-mails), they responded weeks later with the separate ETC.

1. 6 hour delay in Europe due to mechanical issue, EWR-LIS where we were diverted to a small airport to fix - Offered $200
2. 12+ hour delay EWR-LHR due to mechanical issue, crew time out, then LHR hours - Offered $300, they were offering around $2,000 to bump to later flight (really wished I took it)
3. 12+ hour delay EWR-MCI - mechanical issue then delayed until following morning - offered $150
4. 6 hour delay YUL-EWR - offered $200, increased to $300. Then after my general complaint e-mail I was offered an additional $300.

If it's mechanical and I miss something important (meeting/family event) I usually always e-mail their customer care email and get an extra $100.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:01 pm

UA1 (SFO-SIN) canceled on 2019-12-18. Reason was "unexpected operational issue". Agent claimed "weather / lightning strike". Rebooked by agents on 21 or 22 ! Unsure if this is normal procedure and whether re-dress could be had for expenses/ inconvenience.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HT01
UA1 (SFO-SIN) canceled on 2019-12-18. Reason was "unexpected operational issue". Agent claimed "weather / lightning strike". Rebooked by agents on 21 or 22 ! Unsure if this is normal procedure and whether re-dress could be had for expenses/ inconvenience.
Lightning strike causing damage is IME treated as mx, which typically means hotel/meals plus customer service comp. YMMV.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:57 pm

Appreciate any advise on handling better: We simply waited in line at counter & agent wasn't very helpful with better/ earlier connections SFO-SIN than the same flight on 22nd (3 days later). Told to call 1K desk, which we tried but it wasn't picking up all night. Had to book into hotel at midnight at own expense etc. Agent said they won't compensate. Handed a hotel "discount" coupon with code that didn't work. Only next morning were we able to get on a 21st flight (2 days after cancelled flight). Incurred 2 day expenses in SFO since we're connecting from IAD.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Lightning strike causing damage is IME treated as mx, which typically means hotel/meals plus customer service comp. YMMV.
In enroute, yes. But not necessarily at the originating airport.

However, UA should provide "customer inconvenience" consideration for the extended delay. And hotel discount vouchers are not uncommon.
... Incurred 2 day expenses in SFO since we're connecting from IAD.
How did the SIN delay cause a delay in SFO?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2019 at 11:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How did the SIN delay cause a delay in SFO?
Reservation was IAD to SFO to SIN with the SFO to SIN cancelled. What was a little surprising was that the "next available" flight was 2-3 days later. Had impression there were many flights from SFO to Asia and then onto SIN, though not necessarily UA. Not sure what the cause of cancellation really was - the SMS was "your flight is canceled because your plane needs repairs". Does it matter what the cause is for any comp/ redress ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.