Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
Would that include transportation too? Got to get home and back to the airport somehow.
But thanks for that info.
In theory, yes, transportation at the origin would also be excluded by that rule. However, that rule generally isn't enforced; I've seen multiple reports of people who were able to get a hotel at their origin.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
Would that include transportation too? Got to get home and back to the airport somehow.
But thanks for that info.
Again, as a "token" UA may throw you a certificate, but don't count on a cash reimbursement.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:33 am

My One Hour Flight Has Been Delayed Over 12 Hours

Hey all! IAH to AEX. Booked on miles. Connecting flight. My original flight was scheduled for 7:40PM Wednesday. As of now, it's been delayed to 7:45AM Thursday. United has been unable to locate a crew. Fortunately, United did put me in a hotel overnight. What's frustrating is that the drive is only 3.5 hours at most between both cities. I could have made the drive many times over had I had any idea.

I know that United is notorious for under-compensating for these issues. I'm having trouble finding official information about what exactly I am due for the long delay. Can anyone direct me to some details or some insight into what I should be asking for/receiving for this lengthy delay?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just out of curiosity, why not hop in a rental car and head home given the manageable drive?

There is no compensation due. Presumably there may be something paid by your travel insurance.

Why was the flight cancelled? Presumably something happened to the crew scheduled to operate the flight and the reason for that "something" will matter a bit. The fact that UA has provided a hotel suggests that it was something within UA's control.

UA, having paid for a hotel (and hopefully having provided food vouchers) may provide a small customer service gesture (not compensation) in the form of a voucher or perhaps a few miles.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Louisianian
Hey all! IAH to AEX. Booked on miles. Connecting flight. My original flight was scheduled for 7:40PM Wednesday. As of now, it's been delayed to 7:45AM Thursday. United has been unable to locate a crew. Fortunately, United did put me in a hotel overnight. What's frustrating is that the drive is only 3.5 hours at most between both cities. I could have made the drive many times over had I had any idea.

I know that United is notorious for under-compensating for these issues. I'm having trouble finding official information about what exactly I am due for the long delay. Can anyone direct me to some details or some insight into what I should be asking for/receiving for this lengthy delay?

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I've gotten decent comp for ~4 hour delays. Usually around $200- in the form of a travel cert.

In the future, check-out the price of one-way car rentals. It may be worth it if your time is valuable. Or you could recruit fellow passengers and hire a van taxi or limo as I have done on several occasions. It usually works out to be a reasonable cost per person.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Just out of curiosity, why not hop in a rental car and head home given the manageable drive?
United made it very clear yesterday that a rental car would in no way be compensated. They also laid out a bunch of ominous talk about United's lack of responsibility should anything go wrong with the rental or during the drive. Plus, the delay was pretty late and I was quite tired and not up for making the drive. The issue comes into play when they've continued to delay the flight this morning.

There is no compensation due. Presumably there may be something paid by your travel insurance.

Why was the flight cancelled? Presumably something happened to the crew scheduled to operate the flight and the reason for that "something" will matter a bit. The fact that UA has provided a hotel suggests that it was something within UA's control.
They were unable to find a crew. It was definitely within their control. I booked on miles, so I'm not sure what/how much my credit card travel insurance would even pay. If you mean regular travel insurance...ain't nobody got the $ for that! (JK)

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I've gotten decent comp for ~4 hour delays. Usually around $200- in the form of a travel cert.

In the future, check-out the price of one-way car rentals. It may be worth it if your time is valuable. Or you could recruit fellow passengers and hire a van taxi or limo as I have done on several occasions. It usually works out to be a reasonable cost per person.
Thanks for the welcome! I just checked my e-mail and got a message to visit /unitedcares. I imagine there's something in there. I asked a couple of people if they were interested in sharing a rental and was met with (and this is, of course, their prerogative) rudeness and a remark that they don't share rides with strangers.

Your time delay vs. compensation definitely helps me understand what to begin to expect. I read somewhere that the offers in /unitedcares are under-valued from what is actually due, so your insight into actual compensation is valuable.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I had a 12hr delay back in June (mechanical, not crew) for an AUS-DEN trip and was offered $175 automagically in an email from customer service, but after a couple angry emails to 1K Voice to detail the atrocious handling of the situation I was given an additional $750.

Disagree that no compensation is due - unless there was a severe weather issue, which I don't believe it was given the conditions at IAH yesterday, this is all on UA. They did right by putting you up in a hotel, and hopefully meal vouchers were provided as well, but 12hrs for crew availability at a major hub is unacceptable. I'd call/email and ask to have the entire amount of miles for the trip to be refunded; you might not get them all back, but it never hurts to ask in an extreme situation like this. I've found that in the last 12 months United is much more receptive to going above and beyond to keep customers happy when delays like yours are clearly their fault.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Louisianian
I asked a couple of people if they were interested in sharing a rental and was met with (and this is, of course, their prerogative) rudeness and a remark that they don't share rides with strangers.

They must be really uncomfortable getting on the plane then!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
I had a 12hr delay back in June (mechanical, not crew) for an AUS-DEN trip and was offered $175 automagically in an email from customer service, but after a couple angry emails to 1K Voice to detail the atrocious handling of the situation I was given an additional $750.
That is well outside the norm and not at all what OP should expect. In fact, even the $175 is more than OP should expect unless OP is also a 1K.

Disagree that no compensation is due - unless there was a severe weather issue, which I don't believe it was given the conditions at IAH yesterday, this is all on UA.
You're entitled to your opinion, but you're incorrect. There is never any compensation due for delays on US-origin flights on US carriers. That doesn't mean that UA won't provide a travel credit as a customer service gesture -- they will, for issues within their control -- but there's no statutory requirement for it and it's best not to look at it as something that's "due" the passenger. It's entirely a matter of goodwill on UA's part.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
thanks to Delta for starting this trend where united will not cancel the flight but delay it out 12+ hours sometimes thus not having to get reported as a cancel, at least they took ownership and provided a hotel and hopefully a meal voucher(s). as some have stated about getting anywhere from $100-$200 in travel vouchers is about right, i've usually been given $150-$200 for the delay. what i would have done and have done is request a involuntary refund on that particular leg, get a car and drive, it will technically come out later on in the billing cycle where the refund might cover the expense and has in the past with me of getting the car.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cosflyer
what i would have done and have done is request a involuntary refund on that particular leg, get a car and drive, it will technically come out later on in the billing cycle where the refund might cover the expense and has in the past with me of getting the car.
This is certainly an option. However, the amount of the refund will be calculated based upon distance. IAH-AEX is such a short flight that the refund is unlikely to cover much of anything.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP has an award ticket, so I refund would mean getting the miles back.

I agree with the people who would not share a rental car with strangers. IMO a taxi or Uber/Lyft would be somewhat different, although I wouldn't want strangers to see my home address.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Disagree that no compensation is due - unless there was a severe weather issue, which I don't believe it was given the conditions at IAH yesterday, this is all on UA. They did right by putting you up in a hotel, and hopefully meal vouchers were provided as well, but 12hrs for crew availability at a major hub is unacceptable. I'd call/email and ask to have the entire amount of miles for the trip to be refunded; you might not get them all back, but it never hurts to ask in an extreme situation like this. I've found that in the last 12 months United is much more receptive to going above and beyond to keep customers happy when delays like yours are clearly their fault.
What is the authority for the notion that there is a legal obligation to provide compensation for a US departure on a US carrier? There are thousands of threads on FT and likely millions of passengers affected nationwide, so this would be a big deal if it were the case.

Suspect you will find that it boils down to the fact that there is no such requirement in the US and that anything UA does it does so by way of customer service gesture.

Not sure what the car rental issue has to do with the fact that UA, of course, advised that it would not reimburse (taking on this kind of liability would be crazy). Unless the cost is off the charts, this is covered by pretty much any travel interruption policy, even the cheesy ones offered by some CC's.

At worst, you are home as opposed to stuck enroute.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:18 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
What is the authority for the notion that there is a legal obligation to provide compensation for a US departure on a US carrier? There are thousands of threads on FT and likely millions of passengers affected nationwide, so this would be a big deal if it were the case.

Suspect you will find that it boils down to the fact that there is no such requirement in the US and that anything UA does it does so by way of customer service gesture.
Yes, my word choice was poor and has opened an unintended branch of discussion on statutory requirements.

Rephrasing: if an airline wastes 12hrs of my time on an issue within their control, the compensatory customer service goodwill gesture is, while not mandated by any US statute, an absolute requirement for me if the airline intends to have me as a repeat customer.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, my word choice was poor and has opened an unintended branch of discussion on statutory requirements.

Rephrasing: if an airline wastes 12hrs of my time on an issue within their control, the compensatory customer service goodwill gesture is, while not mandated by any US statute, an absolute requirement for me if the airline intends to have me as a repeat customer.
The OP doesn't seem to have status with UA and should not expect the sort of customer service gestures from UA that some 1Ks here are reporting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.