Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
As you noted, United's compensation is severely out of whack right now. People will get $200 for no in-flight entertainment but then not get anything when a flight is delayed 3.5 hours. Unless you have status on United, and maybe even if you do, you probably won't get more than the $500 or 25,000 miles they offered.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Wombat25
Hello,

I was scheduled on a UA flight from Shanghai to SFO on 4-23-2018. It was delayed almost 19 hours. They put us up in a hotel, but it was a 1.5 hour bus ride at midnight while passing hotels the entire way. We arrived at the hotel at 1:30am and were served a cold leftover buffet. Got to sleep around 3:30am to then wake up at 7am sharp to jack hammers one floor directly beneath my room that were physically shaking my room. We were then bused back to the airport, leaving at 2pm for our flight that was supposed to leave at 7:15pm. We arrived at the Shanghai PuDong airport almost 4 hours early. Could not check in for the flight at that time as there was nobody working the counter. Once we were able to check in, we were notified that the flight may or may not leave that night. I took the option of flying through LA which would definitely leave that night. However, that meant that I had to fly to LA, then SFO, and then finally to Eugene, Oregon. By the time I landed in Eugene I was a little more than 24 hours behind schedule.

UA has offered be $500 or 25,000 miles. Does this seem fair? It looks as though people are getting $300 for an insufficient pillow, or $150 for no WIFI. I feel like my situation was quite a bit worse, but would appreciate other's opinions.

Thanks,
Welcome to Flyertalk Wombat25! Status and Cabin Class have allot to do with Compensation. Since I don't see your particulars what UA status do you have and cabin class do you have. Was the $500 offered proactively by UA sending you a link to accept miles or dollars. Truth be told $500 is not bad at all and I would compare your issue with someone else. With that said, I await your reply as I am sure others will chime in once those facts are known. BTW I don't think the buffet or jack hammer will help you with UA.. Just my opinion..Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
As you noted, United's compensation is severely out of whack right now. People will get $200 for no in-flight entertainment but then not get anything when a flight is delayed 3.5 hours. Unless you have status on United, and maybe even if you do, you probably won't get more than the $500 or 25,000 miles they offered.
Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought that's the best I would get. Thought I should check though.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Welcome to Flyertalk Wombat25! Status and Cabin Class have allot to do with Compensation. Since I don't see your particulars what UA status do you have and cabin class do you have. Was the $500 offered proactively by UA sending you a link to accept miles or dollars. Truth be told $500 is not bad at all and I would compare your issue with someone else. With that said, I await your reply as I am sure others will chime in once those facts are known. BTW I don't think the buffet or jack hammer will help you with UA.. Just my opinion..Thanks and Safe Travels
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

Yeah, I don't have any real status with UA and I was in "Premium" economy. The $500/25,000miles was offered proactively. I have not submitted any sort of claim or complaint other than calling UA from the hotel room with the jack hammers pounding away. The agents on the phone were very nice and also very happy that I called them in a good mood. I don't get angry about these situations. That does not good. However, I do like to receive compensation when possible. I'm OK with what they offered but wanted to make sure it made sense compared to what others have received.

One more question. Do you know which option I should take? $500 vs 25,000miles? It would be use for a round trip flight from Eugene, OR to Vancouver BC as I travel there quite often for business. I usually fly via Alaska as they go through Portland or Seattle. With UA, I have to fly down to SFO before flying back up to Vancouver.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2018 at 5:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought that's the best I would get. Thought I should check though.
I had a similar experience. I stayed on the airplane for four hours, 2 hours for immigration and then 1.5 hr to hotel. The appreciation site gave me $200 ETC (as 1K) and wrote another letter to Customer Care to get additional $300 ETC.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

Yeah, I don't have any real status with UA and I was in "Premium" economy. The $500/25,000miles was offered proactively. I have not submitted any sort of claim or complaint other than calling UA from the hotel room with the jack hammers pounding away. The agents on the phone were very nice and also very happy that I called them in a good mood. I don't get angry about these situations. That does not good. However, I do like to receive compensation when possible. I'm OK with what they offered but wanted to make sure it made sense compared to what others have received.

One more question. Do you know which option I should take? $500 vs 25,000miles? It would be use for a round trip flight from Eugene, OR to Vancouver BC as I travel there quite often for business. I usually fly via Alaska as they go through Portland or Seattle. With UA, I have to fly down to SFO before flying back up to Vancouver.

Thanks again for your help!
Thanks for your reply, I would accept what they're offering and I like the ECERT ( The $500 option) bare in mind that you must fly on all united metal no Air Canada flights or any other operator. This way you can earn mileage and status with those certificates as well and have a greater flexibility than seeking space for mileage redemptions. Once you accept the proactive compensation I have a separate and distinct play.. I would write a quick note using the Customer Service link on the UA site and explain briefly The issues you had with the overnight hotel i.e. distance from airport meal provided and the jackhammering along with a tidbit or two about your lack of sleep (I think United may throw you some additional compensation based on that email) . Good luck and let us know how it works out
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Last I knew, neither of these will help you fly on Alaska Airlines, as the voucher can only be used for United flights and United miles can't book you an Alaska flight, either. For maximum flexibility, I'd take the voucher.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks for your reply, I would accept what they're offering and I like the ECERT ( The $500 option) bare in mind that you must fly on all united metal no Air Canada flights or any other operator. This way you can earn mileage and status with those certificates as well and have a greater flexibility than seeking space for mileage redemptions. Once you accept the proactive compensation I have a separate and distinct play.. I would write a quick note using the Customer Service link on the UA site and explain briefly The issues you had with the overnight hotel i.e. distance from airport meal provided and the jackhammering along with a tidbit or two about your lack of sleep (I think United may throw you some additional compensation based on that email) . Good luck and let us know how it works out
That's really great advise! I'm somewhat new to flying for business (on my own dollar), so I have a lot of learning to do. One last question. Do the ECERTS work for United Express flights as well? As that's all that is offered for Eugene to YVR flights.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Last I knew, neither of these will help you fly on Alaska Airlines, as the voucher can only be used for United flights and United miles can't book you an Alaska flight, either. For maximum flexibility, I'd take the voucher.
Yeah, I shouldn't have added that sentence about Alaska. It was really just to let you know why I'm not very versed in UA's procedures, as I most often fly with Alaska. Thanks again!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2018 at 9:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

That's really great advise! I'm somewhat new to flying for business (on my own dollar), so I have a lot of learning to do. One last question. Do the ECERTS work for United Express flights as well?
Yes.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

I had a similar experience. I stayed on the airplane for four hours, 2 hours for immigration and then 1.5 hr to hotel. The appreciation site gave me $200 ETC (as 1K) and wrote another letter to Customer Care to get additional $300 ETC.
That doesn't sound like a good time at all. I'm happy to hear writing the extra note helped you out.
Thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's really great advise! I'm somewhat new to flying for business (on my own dollar), so I have a lot of learning to do. One last question. Do the ECERTS work for United Express flights as well? As that's all that is offered for Eugene to YVR flights.
Yes, you’ll be able to use the certificate on United Express.

The certificate is good for a year. You might want to hold onto a bit and see what other travel opportunities come up. If you find yourself with a need to travel somewhere other than Vancouver, United may be a less inconvenient option.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
UA 651 TPA-ORD May 3, boarded Groups 1 and 2, Group 3 started boarding and flight delayed.

EF shows
D CRC//ORD POSSIBLE DELAYS / SEE GG TRAVEL WAIVER
D FCF/ TPA-ORD LATE TURN ATC DELAYS PAX EXPENSE☨
D FCF/ TPA-ORD LATE TURN ATC DELAYS PAX EXPENSE

inbound to TPA was 10 minutes early, and onward ORD-SAN for the same flight # was not impacted by this TPA-ORD delay.

What does this mean wrt to rerouting/compensation/etc if delay results in misconnect? Assume no status

Last edited by DrunkCargo; May 4, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 6:52 pm
Suspended

If the delay is due to air traffic control, as stated in the coding, then United will rebook people as needed if connections are missed, but meals and hotels, if necessary, will be up to the passenger.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I flew HKG-EWR on May 4 in BusinessFirst/ZW using a GPU. The Wi-Fi system was completely out of order for the entirety of the trip. I wrote to Customer Care via the website regarding the problem and received a reply within 14.5 hours (less that the flight duration) with an offer of a $275 voucher. I received a voucher for $263 last October for the Wi-Fi and IFE being completely out of order on the EWR-LAX segment of a trip to SIN in E+/K. I never even wrote in for that as I saw a message with an apology and the $263 voucher offer in my inbox shortly after landing. I think the TPAC offer seems a bit low in light of the TCON amount, which I found rather generous at the time, though both pale in comparison to the $300 voucher for no gel pillows being loaded. Is the consensus that it is better to initiate the compensation process on-board if possible? I am 1K, by the way.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
UA compensation for 24 hours delay?

Hi,

I was supposed to fly TKK-GUM-ROR today, but the imcoming flight UA132 turned back to HNL due to an aircraft issue. We were not notified by UA, but rebooked automatically by one day, with a risky 55 minutes connection in GUM. UA pays for the extra night at our hotel and the meals.

Anybody has experience with what we might receive from UA customer care as compensation? Both travelers are Star Gold.

Thank you, Christian
Old May 7, 2018, 6:33 am

To finish up my story, I got 6250 miles for no entertainment system (prong broken off in jack) on a fully paid J ticket to ZUR. Most unimpressive. From reading this thread, I would
have done better if the FA had proactively done something for me and not put me in the position of chasing them to frustrating results. I imagine having nostatus was the issue, but I used to be high level for years, mostly because of CO, and think that they should try to accommodate people who are willingto pay full pair for J, but this exercise is behind me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.