Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ditches cocktail picks - to save $80,000 per year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United ditches cocktail picks - to save $80,000 per year

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wpcoe
So, no way to stir a mixed drink now?
Snap off a piece of Stroopwafel for stirring.
SPN Lifer and drgreg like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by fumje
I hope you still have fingers!
Precisely my thought as I was scrolling down.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by xzh445
Excellent Idea Bob!! (Crandall, for those who may not be aware of the reference. Look it up if you are curious)
haha xzh....excellent post....remember my days at univ of ill and writing a paper on how robert crandall saved money on pulling 1 olive from each salad.....brings back great memories
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:18 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by xzh445
Precisely my thought as I was scrolling down.
Actually, I was thinking about the F/A preparing the drink in the galley. But, hey, I guess it works with them, too! (Think about that the next time you get a well-mixed Bloody Mary...)
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Less trash / pollution and maybe save enough money to keep another FA or GA on the payroll? What's the problem?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Nail-polish-infused mixed drinks might be a problem.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Actually, I was thinking about the F/A preparing the drink in the galley. But, hey, I guess it works with them, too! (Think about that the next time you get a well-mixed Bloody Mary...)
Would suspect they have access to something that can be used to stir drinks in the galley -- such as a spare eating implement -- I doubt they will resort to their fingers. They are a creative bunch.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
When you say 'new wooden sticks', are those the heftier ones with a point at one end or the thinner ones with flat tips?

I for some reason had thought the heftier, pointed ones were newer (faulty memory perhaps), but I've watched FAs use those with seeming ease. However, I can see that the thinner ones would be nearly useless for spearing.
Oh boy, now you’ve got me confused too. I think the heftier pointed ones? The tip was dulled at some point after the first batch. The old plastic ones speared far more easily.

The shorter flat ones were supposed to be coffee stirrers.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They are a creative bunch.
one of these days I’ll write a post on the best FA hacks I’ve seen. Some are truly MacGyver-Hall-of-Fame worthy.

There are always spare utensils, I imagine FAs will use some of them to stir drinks in the galley. For passengers, will coffee stirrers still be available perhaps?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Are the FAs back to stirring drinks in the galley? They have been giving out the full mix can and the mini for the pax to do it themselves. I have not received a stirred drink since I have been back in the air.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
At least one. IME, index finger works best...
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
Oh boy, now you’ve got me confused too. I think the heftier pointed ones? The tip was dulled at some point after the first batch. The old plastic ones speared far more easily.

one of these days I’ll write a post on the best FA hacks I’ve seen. Some are truly MacGyver-Hall-of-Fame worthy.

There are always spare utensils, I imagine FAs will use some of them to stir drinks in the galley. For passengers, will coffee stirrers still be available perhaps?
Interesting details -- I've had the short flat ones for my cocktails, but perhaps those and the heftier ones (both bamboo) were stocked, and it could be down to which pack was on top in the cart. After reading I poked around in my home-gardening box (cocktail picks sometimes useful for guiding seedling growth) and found what I think is the plastic one -- blue, three sided and fairly pointy. Upon seeing it I recall it being the standard two or three years ago.

And I'm also sure at some point I've had a lemon wedge speared to my fish with a classic (double-barrel mini-straw type), plastic coffee stirrer.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Are the FAs back to stirring drinks in the galley? They have been giving out the full mix can and the mini for the pax to do it themselves. I have not received a stirred drink since I have been back in the air.
I got one FA-mixed in early December, but then after that it was self-mix again. I haven't flown this year.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
At least one. IME, index finger works best...
I prefer the pinky! More demur to dip and to clean up the evidence.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Would suspect they have access to something that can be used to stir drinks in the galley -- such as a spare eating implement -- I doubt they will resort to their fingers. They are a creative bunch.
working for the airline that serves tapas box, tapas box, or tapas box, you think they have creativity???

it’s a moot point anyhow as they’re not serving mixed drinks. They plonk down a can and the spirit in front of you and you mix it yourself. I’m already bringing packets of lime with me, now a cocktail stick, BYOB is not too far away. Plus seeing more & more passengers bringing food on board...
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Stay tuned for 2021 1K Packages, maybe they will include re-usable plastic stir sticks...
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:37 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Have no fear folks, the cocktail stirrers are still present!
SPN Lifer, artvandalay and Dyce like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
Have no fear folks, the cocktail stirrers are still present!
img
That's for the coffee!
Originally Posted by fezzington
[clip]

[clip]
fezzington likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.