Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ditches cocktail picks - to save $80,000 per year

Old Jan 6, 21, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

From the article:

United Airlines Just Made a Tiny Change. And the Results Are Truly Fascinating | Inc.com

In short: no more cocktail picks on United Airlines.

I admit, I had to think through what these even were, when I first read the report. Basically,
this affects you only if you fly on United Airlines and you order a drink with a wedge of lemon or lime.

Your United Airlines flight attendant will serve the drink with the wedge -- but without one of those little plastic or wooden spears stuck through the middle of it.

And, according to an internal memo obtained by the airline site, Live and Let Fly, United Airlines says it expects to save $80,000 per year as a result of this change.
Old Jan 6, 21, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
About time. Those things were always annoying and I never saw the point.
Wyfind, cuthroat and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Jan 6, 21, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Just think what a single olive would save!
Old Jan 6, 21, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
When used correctly, keeps FAs hands off the lemon/lime that is going in the drink. More sanitary.
Old Jan 6, 21, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
When used correctly, keeps FAs hands off the lemon/lime that is going in the drink. More sanitary.
Except their hands have touched the rim of the glass and the lemon has probably been touched by plenty of people in the process of being cut and put in the plane.
Collierkr, Wyfind and VRFast like this.
Old Jan 6, 21, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Except their hands have touched the rim of the glass and the lemon has probably been touched by plenty of people in the process of being cut and put in the plane.
Which is why, whether on a plane or a restaurant, I order my drinks without garnish. In restaurants, I generally order without ice, no one knows when those ice machines have been cleaned out and sanitized.

While the 80K is purely petty and just lumps on the usual "screw the customer for a few dollars, enrich the executives and shareholders with more" nonsense, I am in favor of reducing single use plastics anyway, so for that reason alone, I am OK with the change.
rmadisonwi and Wyfind like this.
Old Jan 6, 21, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
You're not supposed to see the point! It's in the lime!
Old Jan 6, 21, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
You're not supposed to see the point! It's in the lime!
Sharp observation!

David
physioprof likes this.
Old Jan 6, 21, 3:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Lemon is acidic. It should kill most germs anyway
Old Jan 6, 21, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Except these 'picks' haven't been plastic since before the pandemic. United changed to wooden 'picks' pre-March 2020. Maybe they were working through some old plastic stirrers from back in the day but by & large they were onto the wooden ones already.

-RM
am1108, Dyce and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Pre-Covid, citruses were boarded cut and placed into a blue economy plastic cup.

Procedure was supposed to be to spear it out of the cup without using oneís hands. I donít know how many of you have ever tried spearing something with the new wooden sticks but I think itís safe to say more than one FA used their hands.

without a stick, unless thereís a packing change, you can expect the FA to use their hands. Up to the individual whether or not they trust such hands are clean.

Glasses are loaded into the glass racks upside down, so I can honestly say in the 4 years I spent in the air, my hands never touched the rim of a passenger glass.

Blue plastic cups are a different story.

The citruses were cut and placed into a container and shut by one person (who wears gloves, iirc) and retrieved by the FAs. Max two people.
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
Pre-Covid, citruses were boarded cut and placed into a blue economy plastic cup.

Procedure was supposed to be to spear it out of the cup without using oneís hands. I donít know how many of you have ever tried spearing something with the new wooden sticks but I think itís safe to say more than one FA used their hands.

without a stick, unless thereís a packing change, you can expect the FA to use their hands. Up to the individual whether or not they trust such hands are clean.

Glasses are loaded into the glass racks upside down, so I can honestly say in the 4 years I spent in the air, my hands never touched the rim of a passenger glass.

Blue plastic cups are a different story.

The citruses were cut and placed into a container and shut by one person (who wears gloves, iirc) and retrieved by the FAs. Max two people.
When you say 'new wooden sticks', are those the heftier ones with a point at one end or the thinner ones with flat tips?

I for some reason had thought the heftier, pointed ones were newer (faulty memory perhaps), but I've watched FAs use those with seeming ease. However, I can see that the thinner ones would be nearly useless for spearing.
Old Jan 7, 21, 10:52 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Just think what a single olive would save!
Excellent Idea Bob!! (Crandall, for those who may not be aware of the reference. Look it up if you are curious)
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 5:49 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
So, no way to stir a mixed drink now?
Old Jan 7, 21, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
So, no way to stir a mixed drink now?
I hope you still have fingers!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: