Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I don't think volume is different, but they are a bit narrower/taller than the illy paper cups.
so let me get this right... they provision different cups & lids for the crew, but are (have?) eliminating cocktail stirrers to save costs?
Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dyce
so let me get this right... they provision different cups & lids for the crew, but are (have?) eliminating cocktail stirrers to save costs?
Pilots and FAs still get meals on non-transcon routes as well...

But I bet those lids cost more than the stirrers. It's always a cost issue.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Wonder how often UA brings up the cost of specialized lids during negotiation sessions...

David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Crew cup? Is there something special? That looked like a standard take-away hot beverage cup to me. What am I missing?
Originally Posted by fumje
No, there's nothing functionally special about that cup, but the standard hot beverage cup for onboard service is below:

If my memory is correct, they are actually slightly different dimensions and so need a different stock of lids too.
I have gotten them a few times too, the cups are probably 50% bigger than the Illy cups, so cockpit door doesn't need to be opened as much. Lids are for obvious reasons of not spilling on instruments

Meals are in the union contract, there is no out for UA if they decide to stop serving meals to pax.

Lids probably do cost more than stirrers, but maybe 2-5 lids are used a flight vs a dozen or more stirrers. I am also sure UA is willing to invest in 5¢ lids to avoid a spill on million dollar avionics.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think volume is different, but they are a bit narrower/taller than the illy paper cups.
Originally Posted by N104UA
I have gotten them a few times too, the cups are probably 50% bigger than the Illy cups, so cockpit door doesn't need to be opened as much. Lids are for obvious reasons of not spilling on instruments

Meals are in the union contract, there is no out for UA if they decide to stop serving meals to pax.

Lids probably do cost more than stirrers, but maybe 2-5 lids are used a flight vs a dozen or more stirrers. I am also sure UA is willing to invest in 5¢ lids to avoid a spill on million dollar avionics.
I actually was pretty sure it was the same volume as the illy cup (10? 12? oz), just different height/width ratio.

If MatthewLAX can stash one of the illy cups to take home, perhaps we can have a volume comparison measurement?

Reminds my of the debate when the plastic cups were switched from clear to blue.
New Blue Plastic Cups? Smaller? {test show same volume}
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26962315-post67.html
rittenhousesq and Dyce like this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:13 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Maybe the crew cups fit in the cockpit cup holders whereas the other ones don't? (Or fit better?) Spilled coffee in the cockpit can be a big deal.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I actually was pretty sure it was the same volume as the illy cup (10? 12? oz), just different height/width ratio.

If MatthewLAX can stash one of the illy cups to take home, perhaps we can have a volume comparison measurement?

Reminds my of the debate when the plastic cups were switched from clear to blue.
New Blue Plastic Cups? Smaller? {test show same volume}
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26962315-post67.html
It been over a year since I got one, so I don't remember what the exact size was, however it did seem larger than the standard ones but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:51 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Crew Cups

10 years or more ago I used to always ask for coffee in a crew cup when in first because the ceramic mugs were so cold (especially early in the flight) the coffee didn't stay hot. At that time, crew cups were paper with plastic lids and the others were styrofoam. When asking for a crew cup, I was sometimes ask what type I wanted.

They seem to have universally moved to warming ceramic mugs with hot water first which helps if they are really cold. I haven’t seen a ceramic mug in 11 months!

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Mar 1, 2021 at 8:07 am
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DEN
They seem to have universally moved to warming ceramic mugs with hot water first which helps if they are really cold. I haven’t seen a ceramic mug in 11 months!
Sadly, a "change we'll like" to save money for our safety.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:42 pm

UA79 EWR-NRT Polaris

I am flying this weekend on UA 79 EWR-NRT. Does anyone know what the catering is like? I have recently flown UA Polaris to Europe so I am familiar with the plastic cups and meal presented on one tray, but on this flight do they still offer a mid flight snack/meal? It’s blocked at 13hr 45min so I would rather not be starving between the 2 meals if there is no Mid flight service.

thanks
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miked3016
so I would rather not be starving between the 2 meals if there is no Mid flight service.

thanks
can certainly pick up something at the airport before your flight regardless of snacks offered
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miked3016
I am flying this weekend on UA 79 EWR-NRT. Does anyone know what the catering is like? I have recently flown UA Polaris to Europe so I am familiar with the plastic cups and meal presented on one tray, but on this flight do they still offer a mid flight snack/meal? It’s blocked at 13hr 45min so I would rather not be starving between the 2 meals if there is no Mid flight service.

thanks
This month on EWR-NRT (and frankly on all int'l departures from USA with the mid-flight snack only on longer routes, including EWR-NRT)
  • Dinner
    • On Tray Setup: Mixed nuts, salad, salad dressing, butter, individually wrapped bread, dessert
    • Spinach, mandarin orange, red seedless grapes, strawberry, feta
    • Main courses
      • Seared beef short rib
        • Bordelaise sauce, mustard mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips
      • Seared Turbot
        • Tomato caper sauce, steamed wild & white rice, stir-fried bell pepper, carrot and onion
      • Jumbo burrata ravioli
        • Pomodoro sauce, basil pesto, roasted tomatoes
  • Snack
    • Assorted packaged snacks
    • Turkey and Swiss on baguette
    • Apple and smoked Gouda on honey bread
  • Pre-Arrival
    • Croissant, butter, yogurt and fruit cup
    • Main Courses
      • Spinach & kale egg white bites with fire roasted pepper sauce, charred tomato, roasted fingerling potatoes
      • Horchata steel cut oatmeal with agave apple
Does not appear to be Japanese meals or even chicken katsu pre-arrival available.
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This month on EWR-NRT (and frankly on all int'l departures from USA with the mid-flight snack only on longer routes, including EWR-NRT)
  • Dinner
    • On Tray Setup: Mixed nuts, salad, salad dressing, butter, individually wrapped bread, dessert
    • Spinach, mandarin orange, red seedless grapes, strawberry, feta
    • Main courses
      • Seared beef short rib
        • Bordelaise sauce, mustard mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips
      • Seared Turbot
        • Tomato caper sauce, steamed wild & white rice, stir-fried bell pepper, carrot and onion
      • Jumbo burrata ravioli
        • Pomodoro sauce, basil pesto, roasted tomatoes
  • Snack
    • Assorted packaged snacks
    • Turkey and Swiss on baguette
    • Apple and smoked Gouda on honey bread
  • Pre-Arrival
    • Croissant, butter, yogurt and fruit cup
    • Main Courses
      • Spinach & kale egg white bites with fire roasted pepper sauce, charred tomato, roasted fingerling potatoes
      • Horchata steel cut oatmeal with agave apple
Does not appear to be Japanese meals or even chicken katsu pre-arrival available.
That used to be the snack for Y!
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That used to be the snack for Y!
Y pre-arrival meal is all the leftover French croissant twists we now also see in domestic F.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Y pre-arrival meal is all the leftover French croissant twists we now also see in domestic F.
Not terrible, but another downgrade. Especially since they seem to be "BYOC"! ("C" = cholula packets)

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Am I missing something? The UA options sound delicious and filling.
Have you tried the "Apple and smoked Gouda on honey bread"? It only meets one of those descriptors, and it only meets it for about three hours until your carb overload subsides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.