Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
The couple lied to UA and posed a public health risk. Period.

They should be prosecuted and banned from the airline permanently.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
As for the flight itself, what a horrible experience that must have been for the passengers nearby (not to mention the widow). And now of course everyone on the flight has to be worried about the exposure.
Particularly the doctors or others who offered medical assistance.
Spiff, Redhead and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Sounds like the guy had some pretty dire pre-existing conditions and should have never been on that flight.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I would hope that the widow is prosecuted, banned from UA for life, and sued into complete financial ruin by other passengers and UA.

Nothing here is obviously UA's fault, but anyone who knowingly flies while infected with COVID (or knowingly allows someone else to do so) or otherwise violates public health guidelines needs to be made an example of and have the book thrown at them—it's not acceptable under any circumstances.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
The couple lied to UA and posed a public health risk.
Is that so? Before you pass any judgment, may I ask, whether UA has asked its passengers if they have any symptoms before boarding?

If affirmative, then you can pass judgment.

Originally Posted by Scifience
I would hope that the widow is prosecuted, banned from UA for life, and sued into complete financial ruin by other passengers and UA.
The deceased was an adult. I hardly can see the widow would be prosecuted, unless the widow got it as well. While I am inclined to agree with the ban, the issue was the widow may not have done something wrong, especially if UA has never asked about their health conditions.

I respect everyone's right to be pissed. But keep in mind - the wronged party was the deceased, not the widow (unless she had COVID-19 as well). FWIW - I am not saying the deceased deserved to die. But should he choose not to fly, he might be still alive. I would say he has met his destiny for making poor choices.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Not supporting any lawsuits in general but it's naive to think this is some evil pax violating UA policies. UA actively promotes travel and they (along with other airlines) can implement pretravel test requirement to greatly improve safety. Not only they don't want to do that but they mostly removed most precautions introduced earlier - middles are not blocked, boarding and deplaning are barely controlled etc etc (but of course they went with all might after fussy 2 yo who didnt want to put on a mask)...
IANAL, but.... I believe the two things that shield United from liability are reasonable practice and informed consent.

Everyone on that plane knows there might be other people on the plane who have COVID.

And United's practices are in line with standard practices in the industry and government recommendations/regulations.

To prevail, someone would have to show United knew or should have known the particular passenger had COVID.

One of them definitely won't be flying again...

Originally Posted by garykung
Is that so? Before you pass any judgment, may I ask, whether UA has asked its passengers if they have any symptoms before boarding?

... have you checked in for any flights in the past 9 months?

Yes, they ask.

But keep in mind - the wronged party was the deceased, not the widow

The wronged party was everyone else on the plane.
JNelson113, JetBunny, st3 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:03 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting (and tragic in this case) how someone with COVID can go from semi-short-of-breath at room air on the ground into a fatal respiratory crisis based on a few thousand feet of altitude's pressure. Sort of scary. Good thing they wiped down his seat.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Yes, UA requires you to certify at check-in that you/your party have no COVID-19 symptoms and are not COVID-positive. This is laid out clearly on United's website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...to-expect.html

All travelers checking in acknowledge:
  • You must wear a face covering that fully covers both your nose and mouth in the airport and during your entire flight, unless you're eating or drinking, for the safety of everyone. A face shield alone does not count as a face covering. Travelers who aren't wearing their face coverings in the airport or on board may be refused transport and could lose their travel privileges on future United flights. Children younger than 2 years old are exempt.
  • You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days.
  • You have assessed yourself for COVID-19-related symptoms, and have experienced none of the following in the last 14 days:
    • Known temperature of 38 C/100.4 F or higher
    • Cough (excludes symptoms from a pre-existing condition)
    • Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing (excludes symptoms from a pre-existing condition)
    • Chills
    • Muscle pain
    • Sore throat
    • Recent loss of taste or smell
  • You have not been denied boarding by another airline due to COVID-19 exposure in the last 14 days.
  • You have not had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days, or you’re a medical professional following CDC guidance and using proper PPE.
  • You are not currently awaiting the result of a COVID-19 test.
This couple clearly lied on this mandatory declaration. They were both unambiguously disqualified from travel on at least three grounds: a positive COVID-19 test [the deceased], clear symptoms on the list above [the deceased], and close contact with someone who tested positive [the widow].

The deceased was an adult. I hardly can see the widow would be prosecuted, unless the widow got it as well. While I am inclined to agree with the ban, the issue was the widow may not have done something wrong, especially if UA has never asked about their health conditions. I respect everyone's right to be pissed. But keep in mind - the wronged party was the deceased, not the widow (unless she had COVID-19 as well). FWIW - I am not saying the deceased deserved to die. But should he choose not to fly, he might be still alive. I would say he has met his destiny for making poor choices.
The wronged are the rest of the passengers on this flight, who were knowingly exposed to COVID-19 by this couple after they lied on a health declaration, and also delayed in their travels as a result of this couple's reckless behavior.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scifience
Yes, UA requires you to certify at check-in that you/your party have no COVID-19 symptoms and are not COVID-positive.

The wronged are the rest of the passengers on this flight, who were knowingly exposed to COVID-19 by this couple after they lied on a health declaration, and also delayed in their travels as a result of this couple's reckless behavior.
Since United does ask passengers to make a COVID declaration prior to the flight, I fail to see how UA can be held responsible for what happened.

If I were the airline, I would ban any passenger who boards a flight knowing that they meet the criteria for reporting a contagious disease and remain silent.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: UA MM

This would go nowhere. You can’t prosecute a deceased person. As for the woman, what’s the charge that would be brought against her and how would a case be laid out?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Sounds like the guy had some pretty dire pre-existing conditions and should have never been on that flight.
Agreed. If the plane couldn't even make it to hub-IAH - it seems this guy was pretty bad off from wheels-up.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
... But should he choose not to fly, he might be still alive...
I'm sure there's a lawyer out there who will convince the widow to sue United for not warning passengers about lower oxygen levels in the cabin, exacerbating the situation and accelerating his death.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the presences of the COVID positive passengers (as a negative test is not required recommended for most domestic travel, Hawaii excepted) is beyond UA's responsibilities, did UA do enought to justify the flight continuation?
-- DId UA provide an alternative option for those that did not want to continue on the same plane?
-- DId UA suggest the antimicrobial sprays they are using are long lasting provided enough protection to justify continuing with the same plane?

Unclear what reasoning UA provided the provided for continuing the flight.
While we don't know everything about COVID it appears that transmission is much more likely to be airborne than surface borne (and I assume the deceased's seat, and likely the widow's next to it, remained empty for the continuation of the flight). While it would be good if United had allowed anyone who wanted to disembark to do so (accommodating them on another flight), it seems highly likely that nearly all risk was eliminated once the COVID-positive passenger was removed.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:45 am

It is very possible the husband filled out the electronic declaration and didn’t inform his wife about it. It’s also possible the ticketing agent checked them in manually, not sure if they have protocol to ask those questions on their screens if you choose not to check in on the electronic kiosk. Either way doesn’t seem like a lawsuit gets far here.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Very sad situation. I have no legal expertise so I will not delve into that area, but it will be really interesting to see how the positivity rate comes back from people on that flight. Purely from a data perspective with regards to flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.