Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
QRD - UA's doing three things in 2021 for status:
  1. Reduction in "normal" pre-COVID thresholds,
  2. PQP grant based on status at YE2020,
  3. First 3 etickets flown in Q1 2021 earn a 50% (General member, min 150 / max 1,000 per eticket) or 100% PQP bonus (min 300 / max 1,500 per eticket - UA operated flights only)
UA's also extending all PlusPoint expirations by six (6) months (including those previously extended to 7/31/21).

Requirements for earning 2022 status are:
Silver: 3,000 PQP and 8 PQF, or 3,500 PQP
Gold: 6,000 PQP and 16 PQF, or 7,000 PQP
Platinum: 9,000 PQP and 24 PQF, or 10,000 PQP
1K: 13,500 PQP and 36 PQF, or 15,000 PQP

You get a bonus based on your status level at the end of 2020: (posting early 2021)
Silver: 875 PQP
Gold: 1,750 PQP
Platinum: 2,500 PQP
1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP

For 2021, credit card earned PQPs can be used in conjunction with the PQF status thresholds (up to including 1K), but not the 1K PQP-only thresholds.

Responses to posted questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814763-post7.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814962-post22.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815055-post29.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815101-post36.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815583-post73.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815723-post79.html

https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/covid-19/#accordion-special-offer-details (archived link below)
https://archive.is/VzEMu

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jrquad
Note there is a max bonus of 1500 PQP for Q1 per flight. Might be best to book 2 one ways. Not sure that is an option.
Alternatively, you may want to favor a RT over a one way if your flight is cheap since it only applies to the first 3.
For example, I have two one ways scheduled over the new year (depart DEC, return JAN) that are very cheap that I will prob reschedule as a RT so it doesn't count.
I need to travel TCON in mid Jan
I may have an intl trip at the end of Jan/Early feb
Then I will prob have another intl trip towards the end of March
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
This for the most part seems reasonable, especially with the proviso that the requirements might be lowered if travel continues to be slow. I am annoyed by two things however:

1. I have done 13K PQP this year as a 1K and I get the same head start on next year that a 1K who flied zip this year.

2. If I read correctly the value of PQP earned by my credit card is diminished. In particular, I have had a Chase Mileage Plus Card for it seems like forever. PQP and PQM earned on that card has always counted toward my 1K status. It appears that is being changed with the new requirement that PQF must also be met?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Overall I think this is a great move, but my issue is that I can’t get on a UA flight that easily based in Germany at the moment. I’d have no problems making the requirements, but flight one to the US is slightly problematic unless I want to quarantine somewhere first. Any insights UA Insider, though I appreciate I’m not the target audience.
airoli likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:11 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My spend is down a bit, but I already comfortably requaled 1K on PQP alone - I am more worried about GS requal

Personal travel is down a bit - but it was never very high anyway - 80% of it is award travel
Hi hipplewm, appreciate the question. We extended all earned 2020 Global Services members through January 2022. We will still be adding some select members that have demonstrated exceptional value in 2020, and those invites will go out in mid-January.

Originally Posted by eng3
So the set I earned last year that now expire 7/31/2021 now expire 1/31/2022
The set I earned this year that expire 1/31/22 now expire 7/31/2022?
That’s correct, give us till December 15, 2020 to make those extensions for you.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. If our 1K status as of Dec 31 is based on the extension of 2019 status, do we still get the bonus based in that level, or is it calculated based on the PQP we actually earned in 2020 regardless of status extensions?

2. where do I find the calculations for $1 of spend on the Presidential Plus card to equal ‘x’ PQP?

This change is obviously nothing more than a hedge, a bet that global business travel will pick up in Q2 and with the world spiraling towards more lockdowns, layoffs and possible economic ruin, I hope United has contingency plans to completely pivot on this program offer quickly because with each passing day, that will seem more likely.
Hi bocastephen, thanks for the questions. 1) The Premier status you hold at the end of 2020 is what the PQP deposits will be based off of which would include any status that was extended through 2021. 2) You can find more information on your Presidential Plus credit card on mileageplusupdates.com, under the ‘cardmembers’ tab and we also post it at United.com/qualify, but you’ll earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in spend and can earn up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year. We aren’t sure what the future holds in terms of travel demand, but we will continue to monitor the situation and will provide additional assistance to help members achieve Premier status if it’s called for.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly -- if I have 3 trips in January (I will, just haven't booked any of them yet since I just got the PO from the client Monday) earning say 1200 PQD each that will equate to 3600 in bonus PQD (since 300 < 1200 < 1500) meaning that with the head 3750 start I'd be most of the way back to 1K qualification by the end of the month?

I think the only way I could like that more is if the "head start" was essentially a roll-over of the above-qualification PQD amount for 2020 (for example, I have $12000 PQD as of today with at least the return side of this INTL and one domestic left in 2020...say I finish the year at $14K PQD and 70 PQF... Would be nice if I could roll $5000 PQD (14K-9K to requalifiy) but I'll take the gift
Hi lincolnjkc, you’re giving us flashbacks! PQP is the new PQD, but yes, Premier members can earn as much as 1,500 bonus PQP for each of the first three trips taken between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021. In total, if a Premier were to fly three trips and maximized each PQP bonus, the member would receive 4,500 bonus PQP. Remember, as well as meeting the 1K PQP-only requirements, a member would also have to take at least four flights on United or United Express during the calendar year to qualify for Premier 1K but it doesn’t sound like that would be a problem since you already have three trips planned that have outbound and return flights. Your flight activity this year is impressive! Some members would benefit from a rollover of 2020 activity, but many would not due to the dramatic interruptions in travel COVID-19 has caused in 2020. For this reason, we’re helping all 2021 Premier members get 25% of the way back to requalifying for their Premier level, and this includes members who have Premier status we’ve extended through 2021.

Originally Posted by adind
Does anyone know if first three trips means first three flights, or first three round trips (up to 6 flights)?
Hi adind, your first three trips between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021 will receive a PQP bonus of at least 300 PQP, and no more than 1,500 PQP per trip. We define a trip as a ticket; one-way trips count if they’re on a ticket; so do round-trip or multi-segment. To be eligible for the bonus, the ticket must be PQP-eligible, and on a United or United Express flight. If a member’s trip begins before January 1, 2021, it will not count towards this promotion, even if there is travel activity on the same ticket in 2021. However, if the member’s trip begins before March 31, 2021, but it is not completed by that date, they will receive a bonus for the United flight segments flown within the promotion period.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA Insider:
Here is my question:
Will the PlusPoints for Platinum/1K/GS MMers be extended for another six months, too? For example, the PlusPoints deposited on Jan. 1, 2021 will have the expiration date of July 31, 2022, instead of January 31, 2022.
Hi Kmxu, we are extending PlusPoints expiring on/after January 1, 2021—therefore those PlusPoints that were extended earlier in April 2020, and set to expire on July 31, 2021 now expire January 31. 2022. Please give us up to December 15, 2020 to make this extension for you.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2020 at 1:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This is a game changer for me. I had planned on moving away from United for my travel needs in 2021. Will stick with them. They have made 1K attainable for me. I fly on my own dime.
Me too!
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mander
This for the most part seems reasonable, especially with the proviso that the requirements might be lowered if travel continues to be slow. I am annoyed by two things however:

1. I have done 13K PQP this year as a 1K and I get the same head start on next year that a 1K who flied zip this year.

2. If I read correctly the value of PQP earned by my credit card is diminished. In particular, I have had a Chase Mileage Plus Card for it seems like forever. PQP and PQM earned on that card has always counted toward my 1K status. It appears that is being changed with the new requirement that PQF must also be met?
Your number 1 also bothers me. I flew 26k PQP this year, most of it before I was grounded by my company in March and I have basically gotten nothing for that that a person who flew no miles this year got. I am hoping that maybe I will qualify GS out of it, but I also have no idea when I will be able to travel internationally for business yet so it might not matter.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the PQP headstart and double PQPs w/ first 3 trips In 1st quarter, this 1K will be able to re-qualify with fewer bucks spent next year than this year. I’m pleased with UA’s seemingly well-thought out qualifying program. They do have a tough job trying to figure out what might happen with flying next year with a lot of unknowns and this announcement shows they’ve put some thought into it.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. I have done 13K PQP this year as a 1K and I get the same head start on next year that a 1K who flied zip this year..........
The other 1K didn’t get a new batch of Plus Points

...and I deleted part of your post, but does your Chase spend count towards 1K? Mine doesn’t. It shows applicability as high as Plat. If I look at my progress towards 1K this year, it shows a couple of thousand PQP less than the usually seen totals show. The difference is the Chase spend PQP, which doesn’t count towards 1K.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 12, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Alternatively, you may want to favor a RT over a one way if your flight is cheap since it only applies to the first 3.
For example, I have two one ways scheduled over the new year (depart DEC, return JAN) that are very cheap that I will prob reschedule as a RT so it doesn't count.
Yes, I had this same thought, except potentially daisy-chaining multiple segments; they don't need to be part of the same "trip" in the sense of what counts as a trip in my mind.

Agree
If I read correctly the value of PQP earned by my credit card is diminished. In particular, I have had a Chase Mileage Plus Card for it seems like forever. PQP and PQM earned on that card has always counted toward my 1K status. It appears that is being changed with the new requirement that PQF must also be met?
No, PQP earned by the currently available credit cards currently DOES NOT count towards 1K status.

Next year it will count towards 1K, but only if you meet the PQF requirement - so it is a true enhancement, with a caveat about how helpful it may be.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The other 1K didn’t get a new batch of Plus Points

...and I deleted part of your post, but does your Chase spend counts towards 1K? Mine doesn’t. It shows applicability as high as Plat.
I am almost certain it does as I remember some years (many years ago) where I just barely requalified as 1K because of it. I don't think the card I have is available any more, maybe I was grandfathered in.

You have a point about Plus Points but for me they haven't proved to be of much value.

Last edited by mander; Nov 12, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This is a game changer for me. I had planned on moving away from United for my travel needs in 2021. Will stick with them. They have made 1K attainable for me. I fly on my own dime.
+1
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jchilc
Just to make sure I understand, does this mean that the old United MileagePlus® Select Card's PQP no longer count towards 1K unless you meet the PQF requirement for 1K?

The benefits for classic MP credit cards (non-Explorer or Club) remained the same. Extra benefit for Explorer and Club card holders if they met the PQF requirement.

Last edited by PTahCha; Nov 13, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:02 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
This is all good news in my book. I have two trips planned for Q1 that I was going to play the upgrade lottery on but will likely upfare them to get the bonus PQPs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Doppy
Yes, I had this same thought, except potentially daisy-chaining multiple segments; they don't need to be part of the same "trip" in the sense of what counts as a trip in my mind.
Hmm, I hadn't thought about daisy chaining. I may have to try that.
The way I am understanding it, each PNR is one trip. And if your PNR starts before Jan 1, then it doesnt count.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:27 pm

Good news for me too, problem is trying to take a big international trip before Mar 31. Lots of unknowns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.