Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA or B6 SFO-BOS non-stop lie flat in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

Good evening Flyertalk gurus,

I have been trying to go SFO-BOS on lie flat seats several times since last March and the flights were canceled and substituted with 737 or A319 aircraft. I have a flight booked non-stop on B6 in June. In March I see a great price to to BOS on UA and a higher price by about $300 to fly on B6. Should I take a chance on the UA flights to hopefully remain lie flat or buy the B6 flights which will probably remain lie flat?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA's domestic schedule / aircraft beyond Dec is just a placeholder. UA has dramatically reduced SFO<>BOS schedule, it is an under preforming route. Presently I would put no faith in UA in operating lie-flats on the route in the near future
misterfuss and gsalem94122 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:51 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Had two SFO > BOS turns that went from lie flat 752s to 738s in December. Got rebooked via EWR to catch the flatbed for the transcon sectors.

If your goal is to guarantee a flatbed then either look to connect at EWR or research what B6 is doing with ensuring Mint is consistently operating on SFO > BOS.
misterfuss and nexus7556 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
B6's schedule is unreliable. For example, they just dumped most of their very recently announced SFO-CUN nonstops, going from 14x per week to 2x per week. Only rebooking option I was offered for a Dec. 29 departure was two days earlier. Refunded and booked on AS at a much higher cost.

Basically anything you book right now on either B6 or UA for March is just a placeholder.
misterfuss, cesco.g and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
B6 Mint every time, if the price is reasonable. Outstanding.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:41 am

B6 mint single if you can

Although you may have to settle for a 2x2x2 United lieflat via EWR
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
With the uncertainty in the future of travel, I'll book whatever is cheaper.
From a comparison point of view, Mint is better IMO and JetBlue hasn't axed the SFO-BOS route (1~2 daily in December so I don't see this route being canceled altogether), but JetBlue will not offer as much flexibility in schedule change (can reroute via EWR on UA with potential Polaris configured a/c, while on B6 you will need to stick with a short-haul segment in Core in light of schedule change).
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Having just stepped off a Mint Transcon where I flew in 2A, I’d pick this product over anything AA/DL/UA have on offer right now. I think the only exception would be AA 77W flights from MIA to LAX where I would go based mainly on price because I do like the AA F seat comfort. The current B6 soft product destroys anything else in North America though.
seanp7 and SFO777 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Personally, I find the Mint seat uncomfortable. It's the subpar Thompson Vantage, with a weird air cushion. And difficult to book a single, though booking now for next March you might get one. Mint service is much better than UA. The food reads better on the menu than it tastes IMO, but still certainly better than UA.

One nice thing about the carriers' current flexible booking policies is you can book a back-up on a different carrier (assuming you'll be able to use the flight credit down the road if you cancel).
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Having just stepped off a Mint Transcon where I flew in 2A, I’d pick this product over anything AA/DL/UA have on offer right now. I think the only exception would be AA 77W flights from MIA to LAX where I would go based mainly on price because I do like the AA F seat comfort. The current B6 soft product destroys anything else in North America though.
And best of all, Mint is very consistent compared to AA and UA's premium products
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
B6's schedule is unreliable. For example, they just dumped most of their very recently announced SFO-CUN nonstops, going from 14x per week to 2x per week. Only rebooking option I was offered for a Dec. 29 departure was two days earlier. Refunded and booked on AS at a much higher cost.

Basically anything you book right now on either B6 or UA for March is just a placeholder.
you are comparing a new route they added and might not stick around vs one of their core routes. They've been consistently running 2 to 3 flights a day on BOS-SFO, about the same as UA.

It's simply not the same thing.

Also, BOS-SFO is no longer listed a premium transcon route on united website
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang
you are comparing a new route they added and might not stick around vs one of their core routes. They've been consistently running 2 to 3 flights a day on BOS-SFO, about the same as UA.

Also, BOS-SFO is no longer listed a premium transcon route on united website
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html
ouch, that's new. Also the addition of JFK which was not there a few days ago. Interesting that United.com is selling lounge access for SFO-JFK but not SFO-BOS ... so it hasn't fully percolated in the systems yet.

BOS-SFO gone for good (I assume) is a huge loss for the BOS market ... that'll hurt once my business travel resumes. Sigh ...
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
The point is that B6's scheduling, especially four months out, is not reliable. You actually dispute that?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The point is that B6's scheduling, especially four months out, is not reliable. You actually dispute that?
While the schedule may shuffle a bit, the actual amount of flights is unlikely to change much and it shouldn't be difficult to be reaccommodated on a different flight.

With that said, the schedules at most airlines are shuffling heavily on about a monthly basis at this point so I'm not sure that criteria is specific to B6. AA and DL do major schedule changes each month right now to reduce flights.

Last edited by cmd320; Nov 11, 2020 at 2:53 pm Reason: fixed butchered spelling
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not spend a second on this issue until 4-6 weeks prior to iintended travel. That is particularly true when it is down to a specific aircraft required for lie-flat. By making a decision as to B6 vs. UA now, you may limit yourself later. If it comes to pass that there is a vaccine and the virus is wiped out next week, this advice will change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.