Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Corporate Leisure rate - United Corporate Direct - "Break from Business"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Take a Break from Business
While we love flying with you for work, we know that sometimes you need a break - that's why we're offering you (and all employees at your company) a discount on personal travel. Start booking your next adventure on united.com today.

Enjoy a 10% discount
Your company's partnership with United gives you 10% off domestic and varying discounts on international travel, whether you're flying Economy, Business or any cabin in between.*
*Basic Economy fares excluded

Family and friends included
Use your Break from Business discount to book up to nine travelers (including yourself) on the same reservation.

Travel the world
Your Break from Business discounts are valid anywhere United flies.*
*Fly from the U.S. to anywhere in the world, or fly from anywhere in the world to the U.S.

Additional Terms & Conditions
Before you can book Break from Business fares, you need to register to connect your work email to your MileagePlus account.
Valid on united.com while logged in to your MileagePlus account. The "Business travel" checkbox must be unchecked on the united.com homepage to view these discounts. Not yet available on mobile devices.
The Break from Business discount applies to published fares in all cabins and class of service, with the exception of Basic Economy. These fares are not combinable with other discounted fares, such as other private fares.
Subject to normal fare rules as stated on united.com.
Valid on United-marketed flights operated by United Airlines (UA), Lufthansa (LH), Air Canada (AC), and All Nippon Airways (NH). For flights originating in Japan, this discount is only valid on United-operated flights.
Discount valid for U.S. Point of Origin to all destinations and Worldwide Point of Origin to U.S. destinations.
Does not apply to government imposed taxes and fees.
Occasionally the link between Concur and United will break. This can be reset in Concur:
  1. login to Concur
  2. click on the profile icon in the top right
  3. click Profile Settings
  4. click on Frequent-Flyer settings from the left-hand nav
  5. remove your United MP# for 24 hours by clicking on the trash bin icon next to your MP#
  6. then re-add it, wait another 24 hours for it to re-sync to United

related thread -- Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm enrolled in United Corporate Direct through my employer, which provides a small discount on most United fares when traveling for business. We're prohibited from using these fares for personal travel. There is a box to check if you're traveling on business, otherwise you get public rates for personal travel.

Today, for the first time, when in the normal personal travel mode I got fares that said "corporate leisure" and were discounted versus the otherwise publicly available fares. There was also a message at the top saying "Corporate Leisure travel must include the account holder."

Sadly, I didn't book immediately, and now while that message is still showing at the top, it's not showing me discounted fares anymore.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it a new program? Presumably since it says "leisure," the fares can be used for personal travel?
PinaColada likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve never seen it before, but after seeing your post I thought I would give it a shot. Seems like I’m getting this too! $278 leisure rate, $307 without. Unfortunately I’m too new here to be able to post a screenshot.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexus7556
I’ve never seen it before, but after seeing your post I thought I would give it a shot. Seems like I’m getting this too! $278 leisure rate, $307 without. Unfortunately I’m too new here to be able to post a screenshot.

Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Off topic but wow, $800 business round trip on midweek SFO-EWR
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Disappeared for me earlier but is back now. Maybe an October 1 rollout of a new promo?

Fare rules are interesting:

RULE APPLICATION VALID FOR CORPORATE TRAVEL BY BREAK FROM BUSINESS 10
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it a new program? Presumably since it says "leisure," the fares can be used for personal travel?
I haven't seen it before, but I'm seeing it now.

I have no idea what UA is intending to offer, but considering not only the word "Leisure," but also that these appear specifically when I indicate, in United's software, that I'm not traveling for business, I wouldn't feel the least bit hesitant about taking advantage of these for personal travel, if I were inclined to buy a ticket at all.

Incidentally, I haven't done any widespread testing, but on the first route that I checked, the discounts under this program are substantially better, at least on deep-discount fares, than my company's corporate rate. (???) I'm seeing numbers similar to what nexus7556 reported, of approximately 10% off, even on a K fare; my company's discount for K fares is nowhere near that generous.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not ask your corporate travel and the corporate TA? I have to presume that UA marketed this to its corporate customers and their TA's as a cost-free (to the employer) benefit of UA. As jsloan notes, I can't imagine that a rate explicitly noted as "leisure" can't be used for leisure.

If it's a better rate (with the exact same fare rules) as your business discount, no reason not to take advantage of it for business as well, although I would be surprised if there isn't something in the fare rules which makes the business travel bucket "better".
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Why not ask your corporate travel and the corporate TA? I have to presume that UA marketed this to its corporate customers and their TA's as a cost-free (to the employer) benefit of UA. As jsloan notes, I can't imagine that a rate explicitly noted as "leisure" can't be used for leisure.
I'm not 100% sure I'd trust my corporate travel agency to know anything about this program. But it couldn't hurt to ask.

Originally Posted by Often1
If it's a better rate (with the exact same fare rules) as your business discount, no reason not to take advantage of it for business as well, although I would be surprised if there isn't something in the fare rules which makes the business travel bucket "better".
Here, I disagree entirely. There is no way that I would ever uncheck the box that says "business travel" and then purchase travel for business purposes. That would be a pretty clear abrogation of the contract on my part, and I can't image either UA or corporate travel would be very happy with me. (Actually, I'm pretty sure we're required to book through the Concur portal anyway, in order to show that we considered all preferred carriers). If these discounts, at this scale, are intentional, I have to think that they'd go away quickly if UA found that people were buying them for business travel.

BTW, after a little bit more searching: it seems that these fares exist through the end of the schedule, for domestic* travel, but not international. And, the discount extends to first class; I'm seeing a discount off of P fares that appears to be similar to the discount off of K fares. Unsurprisingly, requires flights operated by United or United Express; if you have, e.g., a Cape Air segment, the fare isn't available.

* UA's definition of domestic; includes Hawaii but not Guam. Does appear to include Puerto Rico.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Oct 1, 2020 at 9:22 am Reason: I was wrong about PR.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

United just responded to me - this is a new program and indeed for personal travel.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
approximately 10% off, even on a K fare; my company's discount for K fares is nowhere near that generous.
Ww, that's a lot better than any corporate rate I've ever seen.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Ww, that's a lot better than any corporate rate I've ever seen.
That's why I'm wondering whether or not it was intentional. It seems too good to be true. (I would have been pleasantly surprised just to be able to use our corporate rates for personal travel )
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Imagine explaining to one's corporate customer that you will sell a product to its employees for less than to you. This has to be an early-on glitch. Particularly if one considers that if it's available to the employee, it's also available to others he chooses to book, so long as he is traveling.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This has a HUGE impact for me - my HNL-SFO round trips are reduced about $100, getting as low as $276 in regular economy
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Corporate "business" rates, while higher may come with a kickback at EOY to the corporation. Leisure rates wouldn't have that kickback. Basically UA is giving that credit to the employee directly. Also, businesses are committing to a certain amount of corporate spend and if people used the leisure option that wouldn't count toward the required spend, which would erode the discount and impact the kickback. Important to book business rate for business trips and leisure rate for personal trips.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Corporate "business" rates, while higher may come with a kickback at EOY to the corporation. Leisure rates wouldn't have that kickback. Basically UA is giving that credit to the employee directly. Also, businesses are committing to a certain amount of corporate spend and if people used the leisure option that wouldn't count toward the required spend, which would erode the discount and impact the kickback. Important to book business rate for business trips and leisure rate for personal trips.
And in that spirit... maybe they want the leisure numbers in that spend (sure it may bring down an average). IME when PerksPlus raised the yearly spend requirement in the late 2000's we were barely making the old number, so we started letting employees book personal trips. Sadly it was not enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.