Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver lining from COVID grounding for UA traveller: Weight loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As many mentioned their weight loss during their COVID grounding in ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS have pulled those posts out to start a new thread and not dilute the UA1flyer thread.

Also, let's keep this to personal stories and not another discussion of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-changes.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2020 at 6:33 pm Reason: Started new thread
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Silver lining from COVID ground for UA traveller: Weight loss

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
As the lockdown progressed, I knew my weight would/could go either way. I chose to focus on my health. My health had deteriorated (mostly because of my weight). It's going on about 5 months since the shutdown started in New Jersey. I have lost 52 pounds (now 214). I feel great.I try to keep my calories to about 1500 a day and I walk like crazy....800,000 steps in may/400 miles plus....over 1 million steps in August/500 miles plus. I'm eating better, cooking more and having a 5 month "honeymoon" with my wife.
That's great news, congrats! I've taken a similar approach and almost down 15 pounds. Not spending time on the road or in Polaris lounges/seats has definitely helped I hadn't flown since Feb. 10 (knee surgery then COVID) but flew DCA-LGA roundtrip last week and enjoyed every minute of it, even got to see the new LGA western concourse on the day it opened! Stay safe and healthy!!!
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
lol this being on the ground has worked for some of us, i have lost 15lbs and down to 165. I need to lose another 5lbs, and that will be at the end of the month i hope.
maybe not flying is good for some of us.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS
OK.....Time to "weigh in" . Started my diet on 1/31/20 as part of late new years resolution. Down 42 pounds to 162. Stick a fork in me......done.🙂
DCFlyIAD likes this.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Aug 11, 2020 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Brostman
So we know UA1flyer did it the old fashioned way (congrats by the way!!), just wondering if others could share their paths to their weight loss success to see if there is a common denominator.

P.S. I am new here, and significantly impressed (and envious) by UA1flyer's mileage accomplishments... just curious, to ask if I may, what line of business that you are in that you achieve 1MM / yr
I was already pretty lean but lost abt ten pounds & am now probably 8% body fat since COVID. This was pretty much just the natural outcome of keeping up my pretty rigorous exercise routine, but not eating or drinking in restaurants/bars/planes/hotels.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Originally Posted by Brostman
So we know UA1flyer did it the old fashioned way (congrats by the way!!), just wondering if others could share their paths to their weight loss success to see if there is a common denominator.

P.S. I am new here, and significantly impressed (and envious) by UA1flyer's mileage accomplishments... just curious, to ask if I may, what line of business that you are in that you achieve 1MM / yr
weight loss, low carbs and more exercise. PUSH back from the buffet is easy we no longer have them in Covid-19 Canada.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:38 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
When I was laid off around 2000, I was over 225. I had nothing to do, so decided to lose the weight. I made it a quest to eat no more than 1000 calories a day AND found an orbital machine at a nearby gym where I saw a 'young guy' spinning like crazy. I found that I could keep up with him (I was about 55 then) and if I could do it for an hour, I would burn 1000 calories. In that case, I felt something good had to happen. Long story short, I lost a lot of weight and and now at a steady 165, with no blood pressure problems and I feel great. I am anxious to get on a plane again, though. . I am very cautious when entering a UC now as the temptations of 'free' everything are still great. (I'm a lifetime member).
Good luck Tom!
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I guess I'm doing it wrng... still trying to work off the last of my quarantine-19. But then I'll be headed down. After the first 3 months or so of sitting and eating I've been getting out for long daily walks, eating less, and eating less junk. The walks are the key for me. 2.5 to 3 miles per day at a minimum is not bad at all.
cfischer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
I have lost 52 pounds (now 214). I feel great.I try to keep my calories to about 1500 a day and I walk like crazy....800,000 steps in may/400 miles plus....over 1 million steps in August/500 miles plus. I'm eating better, cooking more and having a 5 month "honeymoon" with my wife.
Nice work! Amazing how many steps you can fit in with a little planning.

We should start a Flyertalk UA forum group on Strava and/or Garmin Connect. Steps are the new currency !
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The walks are the key for me. 2.5 to 3 miles per day at a minimum is not bad at all.
That's one reason I miss going to the office. It was a nice 2 mile walk each way (and coming home was all uphill).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I passed on the wine and the ice cream more times than I can count. It was being locked inside my home for months on end with no end in sight that did it fr me. Fortunately, I'm now slightly below my pre-COVID-era weight.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by physioprof
I was already pretty lean but lost abt ten pounds & am now probably 8% body fat since COVID. This was pretty much just the natural outcome of keeping up my pretty rigorous exercise routine, but not eating or drinking in restaurants/bars/planes/hotels.
I also lost about 10 pounds. Definitely business travel contributed to overeating, drinking and lack of exercises from sitting in the planes and dealing with jetlag.
I am fine not flying for the rest of the year to lose another 15 pounds, and that will be my weight 12 years ago when I started the my streak of annual 350K to 400K flying.

Congratulations Tom for losing all that weight! You are my inspiration to lose that additional 15 pounds!!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: United 1K
Couldn't agree more. If COVID has taught me anything, it's that flying wasn't the root of my weight but rather my excuse for it. I figured the dramatic reduction in travel would yield natural weight loss...well, I was wrong. At the end of the day it's a pretty simple math equation with respect to caloric intake and/or burn. Personal accountability is no doubt a struggle but the additional years of health and time with family are worth it. Good luck to all on the journey. Start somewhere, anywhere, and build on your successes.
JAaronT likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by deathbysegments
Couldn't agree more. If COVID has taught me anything, it's that flying wasn't the root of my weight but rather my excuse for it. I figured the dramatic reduction in travel would yield natural weight loss...well, I was wrong. At the end of the day it's a pretty simple math equation with respect to caloric intake and/or burn. Personal accountability is no doubt a struggle but the additional years of health and time with family are worth it. Good luck to all on the journey. Start somewhere, anywhere, and build on your successes.
At the risk of the unintended consequence of turning this into a "weight loss" thread, I'll add one additional caveat to the simple math equation. Significantly reducing your calorie intake can lead to into what’s commonly known as starvation mode — your metabolism slows so you use less energy and burn fewer calories. Your body may also drop muscle mass to conserve energy. I definitely experienced this phenomenon in the last 5 pounds of my weight loss effort..

Last edited by LAXOGG; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
just to echo this-its incredible the effect it has on weight/health..down from 171 pounds to 145pounds..lightest ive been in 25years!i lost the first 20pounds without even noticing and when I weighted myself thought the scales were broken so bought a new set (with the same results!)
all the time with nothing to do either on the plane or waiting in the lounge just spent sitting or eating really does take a toll...now doing 24000steps a day -and though would like to start travelling again,dont miss flying and would happily never go to another lounge again as I know it will just make me fat!
good luck to all with their weight loss!
every cloud certainly does have a silver lining...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.