2020 strikes again: No more Cran-Apple?

Old Jul 16, 20, 9:32 pm
  #1  
formerly NikoGoutakolis
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 613
2020 strikes again: No more Cran-Apple?

Hello everyone.

Iíve taken four flights since the beverage service was reinstated in the beginning of July, and of the four flights, neither of them had the iconic Minute Maid Cran-Apple. Three of them had Cranberry Cocktail, with the last flight having no cranberry variety.

Unitedís website still lists, Cran Apple as an option (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...beverages.html) but it looks like it has disappeared on-board.

Funny enough, if I was in a restaurant, and was presented with the option of cranberry juice or cran-apple, I would certainly get plain Cranberry, but for some reason, the Cranberry juice onboard the flights I took tasted inferior to the Cran Apple that Iíve had for years. The Tomato Juice paradox, I guess!

Obviously, this is the least of anyoneís problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?


NikoLGA is offline  
Old Jul 16, 20, 10:15 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maui
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 3,170
Originally Posted by NikoLGA View Post
Hello everyone.

Iíve taken four flights since the beverage service was reinstated in the beginning of July, and of the four flights, neither of them had the iconic Minute Maid Cran-Apple. Three of them had Cranberry Cocktail, with the last flight having no cranberry variety.

Unitedís website still lists, Cran Apple as an option (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...beverages.html) but it looks like it has disappeared on-board.

Funny enough, if I was in a restaurant, and was presented with the option of cranberry juice or cran-apple, I would certainly get plain Cranberry, but for some reason, the Cranberry juice onboard the flights I took tasted inferior to the Cran Apple that Iíve had for years. The Tomato Juice paradox, I guess!

Obviously, this is the least of anyoneís problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?


If it makes you feel better, I canít find caffeine free Pepsi at any store on Maui, but apparently Coke offers a caffeine free option. Iím sort of thankful for what I can get, and what little UA offers at the moment just seems to not concern me when I fly again. COVID-19 has totally changed me and my petty complaints of past seem so insignificant now.
notquiteaff likes this.
COSPILOT is offline  
Old Jul 16, 20, 10:16 pm
  #3  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 5,484
Originally Posted by NikoLGA View Post
Hello everyone.

Iíve taken four flights since the beverage service was reinstated in the beginning of July, and of the four flights, neither of them had the iconic Minute Maid Cran-Apple. Three of them had Cranberry Cocktail, with the last flight having no cranberry variety.

Unitedís website still lists, Cran Apple as an option (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...beverages.html) but it looks like it has disappeared on-board.

Funny enough, if I was in a restaurant, and was presented with the option of cranberry juice or cran-apple, I would certainly get plain Cranberry, but for some reason, the Cranberry juice onboard the flights I took tasted inferior to the Cran Apple that Iíve had for years. The Tomato Juice paradox, I guess!

Obviously, this is the least of anyoneís problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?


Too many people making "Pandemic Panics"?

David
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 16, 20, 10:20 pm
  #4  
formerly NikoGoutakolis
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Too many people making "Pandemic Panics"?

David
Ha. There’s definitely a bit of satire in this post. Obviously the least of my concerns in this absurd year.

I do have a genuine curiosity if Minute Maid (Coca Cola) stopped manufacturing the product, or what not, though.
NikoLGA is offline  
Old Jul 16, 20, 10:47 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SFO, SJC when UA has a flight there
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,626
Originally Posted by NikoLGA View Post
Ha. Thereís definitely a bit of satire in this post. Obviously the least of my concerns in this absurd year.

I do have a genuine curiosity if Minute Maid (Coca Cola) stopped manufacturing the product, or what not, though.
Coke has been having some major supply issues lately. I can't find Sprite Zero or Cherry Coke Zero anywhere.
JAaronT is online now  
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:11 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,750
Supply chain issues are fairly common nowadays. Grocery stores seem to still be having trouble keeping items in stock. Been in Lowe's and Home Depot recently and on-hand stock in some areas was sparse. So with no inside info, seems my experiences and that of a few other posters suggest spot outages are still a real issue.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:21 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 35,365
Originally Posted by NikoLGA View Post
...
Obviously, this is the least of anyoneís problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?
Kirby Kutbacks
Palal, MatthewLAX, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
bocastephen is online now  
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maui
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 3,170
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Kirby Kutbacks
With all do respect I visit the grocery stores (actually three) with an open mind now. I sort of hit each aisle and say yep, I can make that work, or even I donít need it now, but will next week. Itís a game of expiration dates and what I want, or thought I wanted. My closet store is often out of my favorite wine or beer.

Iím not annoyed with them, itís simply something Iíve gotten used to. I normally agree with you even if I donít hit ďlikeĒ, but Iím giving all airlines and pretty much all things a huge pass at the moment, or maybe thatís unique to where I currently live. Iíve never liked UA Service on red eye flights pre Covid-19, now Iíll just eat before hand and attempt to sleep, happy to not have a flight cancellation. Maybe Iím a sheep in doing so, but I want the most direct flight and UA is it.
SPN Lifer and notquiteaff like this.
COSPILOT is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 12:01 am
  #9  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,750
A couple of quick searches for "minute maid cranberry apple juice", "minute maid cranberry apple can", "minute maid cranberry apple cocktail" on Google Shopping or Amazon, finds no offerings.

Appears it has never been available in stores, https://www.change.org/p/coca-cola-m...for-air-travel

Seems to be a niche product and with drop of air travel may have been dropped.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 1:00 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Posts: 10,081
Is United now serving Mr. T's Bloody Mary Mix?

I usually drink it straight-up, no ice. Flight attendants generally gave me the whole can, through February 2020.
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Jul 17, 20, 5:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,677
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
Coke has been having some major supply issues lately. I can't find Sprite Zero or Cherry Coke Zero anywhere.
Sprite Zero was scarce for a bit in my grocery in Ohio, but has since made a comeback and is readily available here again.

Now if we can just get it back on United flights....
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 6:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott LTPP / Ambassador
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Supply chain issues are fairly common nowadays. Grocery stores seem to still be having trouble keeping items in stock. Been in Lowe's and Home Depot recently and on-hand stock in some areas was sparse. So with no inside info, seems my experiences and that of a few other posters suggest spot outages are still a real issue.
My local home depot is out of bird seed. Why people would eat that stuff I don't know. Maybe it tastes like muesli.
standbyalldtime likes this.
LimeyFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 6:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Posts: 4,759
Sprite Zero is everywhere here in NYC. <shrug>

I will miss the Cran-Apple if this is permanent. I usually get that as a PDB - with a cheeky nip of vodka - or as my free drink in Y
seanp7 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Sprite Zero is everywhere here in NYC. <shrug>

I will miss the Cran-Apple if this is permanent. I usually get that as a PDB - with a cheeky nip of vodka - or as my free drink in Y
The issue is the aluminum can shortage

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/5443308002/

Coke is prioritizing its main products. Coke Zero cans been have been out of stock at Costco and Sams for the first time in 10 yeayear

Coca Cola's main Twitter account responded to customers who couldn't find niche products such as Cherry Coke Zero and Pibb.

"We are working to have more stocked for you on the shelves ASAP," the company said.


PepsiCo CEO Ramon Laguarta told analysts in a conference call Monday that the company "made some choices in our supply chain" to "eliminate the less" popular items in its lineup for now.
expert7700 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CHS
Posts: 2,215
Not my cran-apple! Now what do I mix with my vodka on early morning flights???
seanp7 and kirkwoodj like this.
geckoflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: