Wiki Posts
Search

2020 strikes again: No more Cran-Apple?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

2020 strikes again: No more Cran-Apple?

Hello everyone.

I’ve taken four flights since the beverage service was reinstated in the beginning of July, and of the four flights, neither of them had the iconic Minute Maid Cran-Apple. Three of them had Cranberry Cocktail, with the last flight having no cranberry variety.

United’s website still lists, Cran Apple as an option (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...beverages.html) but it looks like it has disappeared on-board.

Funny enough, if I was in a restaurant, and was presented with the option of cranberry juice or cran-apple, I would certainly get plain Cranberry, but for some reason, the Cranberry juice onboard the flights I took tasted inferior to the Cran Apple that I’ve had for years. The Tomato Juice paradox, I guess!

Obviously, this is the least of anyone’s problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?

Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by NikoLGA
Hello everyone.

I’ve taken four flights since the beverage service was reinstated in the beginning of July, and of the four flights, neither of them had the iconic Minute Maid Cran-Apple. Three of them had Cranberry Cocktail, with the last flight having no cranberry variety.

United’s website still lists, Cran Apple as an option (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...beverages.html) but it looks like it has disappeared on-board.

Funny enough, if I was in a restaurant, and was presented with the option of cranberry juice or cran-apple, I would certainly get plain Cranberry, but for some reason, the Cranberry juice onboard the flights I took tasted inferior to the Cran Apple that I’ve had for years. The Tomato Juice paradox, I guess!

Obviously, this is the least of anyone’s problems nowadays, but it was still a surprise. Anything we can attribute this to?

If it makes you feel better, I can’t find caffeine free Pepsi at any store on Maui, but apparently Coke offers a caffeine free option. I’m sort of thankful for what I can get, and what little UA offers at the moment just seems to not concern me when I fly again. COVID-19 has totally changed me and my petty complaints of past seem so insignificant now.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hello everyone.

Too many people making "Pandemic Panics"?

David
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Too many people making "Pandemic Panics"?

David
Ha. There’s definitely a bit of satire in this post. Obviously the least of my concerns in this absurd year.

I do have a genuine curiosity if Minute Maid (Coca Cola) stopped manufacturing the product, or what not, though.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Ha. There’s definitely a bit of satire in this post. Obviously the least of my concerns in this absurd year.

I do have a genuine curiosity if Minute Maid (Coca Cola) stopped manufacturing the product, or what not, though.
Coke has been having some major supply issues lately. I can't find Sprite Zero or Cherry Coke Zero anywhere.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Supply chain issues are fairly common nowadays. Grocery stores seem to still be having trouble keeping items in stock. Been in Lowe's and Home Depot recently and on-hand stock in some areas was sparse. So with no inside info, seems my experiences and that of a few other posters suggest spot outages are still a real issue.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Kirby Kutbacks
Palal, MatthewLAX, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Kirby Kutbacks
With all do respect I visit the grocery stores (actually three) with an open mind now. I sort of hit each aisle and say yep, I can make that work, or even I don’t need it now, but will next week. It’s a game of expiration dates and what I want, or thought I wanted. My closet store is often out of my favorite wine or beer.

I’m not annoyed with them, it’s simply something I’ve gotten used to. I normally agree with you even if I don’t hit “like”, but I’m giving all airlines and pretty much all things a huge pass at the moment, or maybe that’s unique to where I currently live. I’ve never liked UA Service on red eye flights pre Covid-19, now I’ll just eat before hand and attempt to sleep, happy to not have a flight cancellation. Maybe I’m a sheep in doing so, but I want the most direct flight and UA is it.
SPN Lifer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 12:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A couple of quick searches for "minute maid cranberry apple juice", "minute maid cranberry apple can", "minute maid cranberry apple cocktail" on Google Shopping or Amazon, finds no offerings.

Appears it has never been available in stores, https://www.change.org/p/coca-cola-m...for-air-travel

Seems to be a niche product and with drop of air travel may have been dropped.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Is United now serving Mr. T's Bloody Mary Mix?

I usually drink it straight-up, no ice. Flight attendants generally gave me the whole can, through February 2020.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Coke has been having some major supply issues lately. I can't find Sprite Zero or Cherry Coke Zero anywhere.
Sprite Zero was scarce for a bit in my grocery in Ohio, but has since made a comeback and is readily available here again.

Now if we can just get it back on United flights....
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Supply chain issues are fairly common nowadays. Grocery stores seem to still be having trouble keeping items in stock. Been in Lowe's and Home Depot recently and on-hand stock in some areas was sparse. So with no inside info, seems my experiences and that of a few other posters suggest spot outages are still a real issue.
My local home depot is out of bird seed. Why people would eat that stuff I don't know. Maybe it tastes like muesli.
standbyalldtime likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Sprite Zero is everywhere here in NYC. <shrug>

I will miss the Cran-Apple if this is permanent. I usually get that as a PDB - with a cheeky nip of vodka - or as my free drink in Y
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by seanp7
Sprite Zero is everywhere here in NYC. <shrug>

I will miss the Cran-Apple if this is permanent. I usually get that as a PDB - with a cheeky nip of vodka - or as my free drink in Y
The issue is the aluminum can shortage

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/5443308002/

Coke is prioritizing its main products. Coke Zero cans been have been out of stock at Costco and Sams for the first time in 10 yeayear

Coca Cola's main Twitter account responded to customers who couldn't find niche products such as Cherry Coke Zero and Pibb.

"We are working to have more stocked for you on the shelves ASAP," the company said.

PepsiCo CEO Ramon Laguarta told analysts in a conference call Monday that the company "made some choices in our supply chain" to "eliminate the less" popular items in its lineup for now.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:39 am

Not my cran-apple! Now what do I mix with my vodka on early morning flights???
seanp7 and kirkwoodj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.