Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

September International Adds: LAX-SYD, ORD-HKG resume, ORD-TLV new service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

September International Adds: LAX-SYD, ORD-HKG resume, ORD-TLV new service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who’s gonna be allowed to fly on these flights? Certainly not Americans.

Can UA make money flying without Americans or is it just a cargo play that they hope turns good next year with passenger traffic?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by entropy
Im sure for now the TLV service is heavily cargo-based. but good to see United is leading the way to TLV.

Hopefully when all this is done we can get a polaris lounge in TLV.
I doubt that. I don't think get a new Polaris lounge in TLV. Sorry!

I knows the flights are always full everyday. Very high demands. Very large Jewish population.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:25 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
According to Lucky at OMAAT LAX-SYD (and SFO-SYD) are capped at 50 passengers per flight.

Interesting times we are in: ORD-HKG @ 1x/week and SYD flights @ 50 passengers.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1984SW
According to Lucky at OMAAT LAX-SYD (and SFO-SYD) are capped at 50 passengers per flight.

Interesting times we are in: ORD-HKG @ 1x/week and SYD flights @ 50 passengers.
Initially I thought the SYD restrictions were to enable full cargo loading in the regular bins and pax bags in the bulk pit but apparently Australia is limiting customs and immigration processing at SYD to 50 per flight and 450 (!) per day.

Crazy times indeed.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Initially I thought the SYD restrictions were to enable full cargo loading in the regular bins and pax bags in the bulk pit but apparently Australia is limiting customs and immigration processing at SYD to 50 per flight and 450 (!) per day.

Crazy times indeed.
Not to mention the apparent requirement of a 14-day non-self quarantine.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:10 pm

Who is going to be on these flights now that Americans are persona non grata in most places around the world?

How the mighty have fallen

The pandemic simply demonstrates to Americans what the rest of the world has already known about the main function of nationality in the world.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
Who is going to be on these flights now that Americans are persona non grata in most places around the world?

How the mighty have fallen
Some discussion of this in
Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Let's not go OMNI / non-UA with this, those discussions belong elsewhere
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
​​​​​
I thought IAA won't allow airlines not named LY to have their own?

But with 27 weekly departures they can certainly use one.
Back in the CO days, Avi Friedman (one of the best in the business, IMO) once told me that they were stonewalled on every attempt to lease space for a Presidents Club at TLV, and as much as CO wanted one, and there was a clear business case for it, there probably would never be one. Since QAS/Dan Hotels has the concession for non-LY lounges at T3, I just assumed that they could be contracted to operate a UC/PL on behalf of United, like Sodexo in the USA and contractors do overseas, but for whatever reason it won't work at TLV.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM
Back in the CO days, Avi Friedman (one of the best in the business, IMO) once told me that they were stonewalled on every attempt to lease space for a Presidents Club at TLV, and as much as CO wanted one, and there was a clear business case for it, there probably would never be one. Since QAS/Dan Hotels has the concession for non-LY lounges at T3, I just assumed that they could be contracted to operate a UC/PL on behalf of United, like Sodexo in the USA and contractors do overseas, but for whatever reason it won't work at TLV.
That lounge in TLV is not all that great but it's not that bad, either. I've seen plenty worse such as the ORD C concourse UC.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Not exactly true. Cap only applies, at the moment, until July 16th. Lucky and Gary used a memo posted by Brian Sumers as a source -- his memo cut off/omitted key info.

I suspect it will be extended, but it is not beyond next week right now.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Well, nothing like a crisis to produce opportunities.. maybe Dan will go bankrupt in the current crisis...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
ORD-TLV now on sale, full story on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ing-explained/
EWR764 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Do we know yet if these additional passenger flights are an increase in the number of flights, or are they present cargo-only flights turned passnger flights?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

ORD-TLV is all new. LAX-SYD and ORD-HKG are current cargo routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.