Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Regarding fare class and cost, it is a one-way B fare, and it does not come close to the high 4-figure economy fare being reported. In fact, it is the same B fare I have been watching for the past 5 year...... a little over $2K for this inaugural flight that has been reported as “Sold Out” for weeks.
While that seems obnoxious on the surface, the Chinese airlines are charging twice as much, and the flights still sell out.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
While that seems obnoxious on the surface, the Chinese airlines are charging twice as much, and the flights still sell out.
I was really concerned about the high fares being charged by the Chinese airlines as reported in this forum and other internet websites and blogs, and was looking at different possible options such as transit through a third country to get lower fares. Unfortunately, most of the transit options are scoping out of China flights and/or lack of flights from the third country into China.

I was very surprised with the fare I paid, because I was anticipating paying at least twice as much as you indicated.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I often agree with you and yes, you may also be right in this case.

I would still suggest those who have secured visa to call instead of looking at the App and website for these two “special” weekly flights. There were seats still available on other days in July when I called, and they were not showing on the App and website. I don’t think mine is in the overbooking situation because I did ask if the flight was sold out.

That being said, the July 8th flight is sold out now.
I discovered for dates in July and August, united.com won't sell any ticket for UA 857. Yet when I searched flight status, it shows J is full, but Y is not.

Is it possible that UA can create saver XN for me? I'll waitlist for upgrade.

Did you check your position on upgrade list?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
I discovered for dates in July and August, united.com won't sell any ticket for UA 857. Yet when I searched flight status, it shows J is full, but Y is not.

Is it possible that UA can create saver XN for me? I'll waitlist for upgrade.

Did you check your position on upgrade list?
The best way is to give GS a call rather than focusing on what you see on United.com

Regarding whether it is possible to convert to XN, IMHO, it is highly unlikely. There is no T fare bucket available. Nevertheless, give GS a call.

My VISA came through this morning, so I am ready to go on July 8.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best way is to give GS a call rather than focusing on what you see on United.com

Regarding whether it is possible to convert to XN, IMHO, it is highly unlikely. There is no T fare bucket available. Nevertheless, give GS a call.

My VISA came through this morning, so I am ready to go on July 8.
Will call soon.

T-72 now before your July 8 SFO-ICN-PVG. Have you cleared upgrade? 11 people are on upgrade list and J is full.

Are you really going to fly such long distance in Y if upgrade fails?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Will call soon.

T-72 now before your July 8 SFO-ICN-PVG. Have you cleared upgrade? 11 people are on upgrade list and J is full.

Are you really going to fly such long distance in Y if upgrade fails?
I have to work, so need to suck it up and do it.
Flight has been sold out in all cabins for awhile, so just need to roll the dice and hope my number will be called (or hope someone in J does not show up for the trip). It looks like United blocked off 4 seats in J..
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to work, so need to suck it up and do it.
Flight has been sold out in all cabins for awhile, so just need to roll the dice and hope my number will be called (or hope someone in J does not show up for the trip). It looks like United blocked off 4 seats in J..
are you near top of the upgrade list?

I would imagine a GS on B fare........
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

are you near top of the upgrade list?

I would imagine a GS on B fare........
When I checked the seatmap (I know it is not accurate) the last couple of days, and there were five J seats unassigned.
I checked an hour ago, there were 8 seas unassigned in J, although J is still sold out (I called GS desk to to see if anything opened up).

Keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
When I checked the seatmap (I know it is not accurate) the last couple of days, and there were five J seats unassigned.
I checked an hour ago, there were 8 seas unassigned in J, although J is still sol d out (I called GS desk to to see if anything opened up).

Keep my fingers crossed.
Did your upgrade clear?

I'm told the flight will be restricted to 75% capacity (263 pax) on 07/08.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did your upgrade clear?

I'm told the flight will be restricted to 75% capacity (263 pax) on 07/08.
I have been watching the upgrade list for two weeks.

It looks tough. Booked full. 11 people on upgrade list. I imagine GS with B fare should be on top.

3 more hours to departure. There are 3 unoccupied J seats.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:03 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
The post-departure seat map shows no empty J seats, but two empty Premium Plus seats. Upgrade lists show no upgrades into Premium Plus, but four into Polaris. So, hopefully UA_Flyer was one of those four. (We're not stalking you, UA_Flyer. Seriously. LOL)

Interestingly, there was one standby passenger cleared into Polaris. Wonder if it were a revenue or non-rev standby.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
The post-departure seat map shows no empty J seats, but two empty Premium Plus seats. Upgrade lists show no upgrades into Premium Plus, but four into Polaris. So, hopefully UA_Flyer was one of those four. (We're not stalking you, UA_Flyer. Seriously. LOL)

Interestingly, there was one standby passenger cleared into Polaris. Wonder if it were a revenue or non-rev standby.
I’m pretty sure that UA_Flyer got upgraded at the gate. I would not take that kind of risk.

Premium Plus interestingly has 2 empty seats. How bad are these seats compared to Polaris?

Im wondering about that standby upgrader too. 8 people failed to clear.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At ICN now waiting for the flight to take off for PVG. I did get upgraded to Polaris. A long story on the upgrade... plan to do a short trip report in the coming days after entering into Quarantine.

Flight is definitely more than 75% filled but not as full as I had expected.

Thanks for following up! More later!
SPN Lifer, wpcoe, geclub1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 9, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At ICN now waiting for the flight to take off for PVG. I did get upgraded to Polaris. A long story on the upgrade... plan to do a short trip report in the coming days after entering into Quarantine.

Flight is definitely more than 75% filled but not as full as I had expected.

Thanks for following up! More later!
Where are you quarantining in SH? Let us know if you are permitted to receive guests.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Where are you quarantining in SH? Let us know if you are permitted to receive guests.
Whats the point of a quarantine if you can receive guests?
SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.