Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculously uncompetitive airfares?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
DEN-IAD challenges

Does anyone have any insight as to why UA flight 438... departing DEN at 11:30 a.m. and arriving IAD at 4:50 p.m... is not available to book at all in June? It's been driving me nuts; my only daytime west coast to east coast itinerary option relies on that flight, as it's the only one that allows me to leave the west coast in the morning, connect in DEN, then connect again in IAD.

UA 438 is published on the schedule every day, and it actually operates each day with plenty of passengers on board. But united.com never displays it as a booking option - in any class of service. It allows daily booking on the other two DEN-IAD flights, departing at 12:18 p.m. and 6:28 p.m., but those flights are too late in the day to allow for connections in IAD during its sole hub bank of flights (4:30-6:00 p.m.) in June. I've been checking on this nearly every day for about two weeks now... and it's always the same. No booking availability, on any day in June, for UA 438. Yet it's on the timetable throughout June - and has been operating daily. Very frustrating.

Any insight? Revenue management mistake by UA? Or is the flight literally full every day for the next 30 days? (I find that hard to believe...)

EDITED TO ADD: I finally found seats available on one day - this Thursday, June 4. But I can't see the flight being available on any other days.

Last edited by PDXalways; Jun 2, 2020 at 4:39 pm Reason: added information
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PDXalways
Does anyone have any insight as to why UA flight 438... departing DEN at 11:30 a.m. and arriving IAD at 4:50 p.m... is not available to book at all in June? ....
Inventry is zero'ed out for the 10 or so day I checked. Is J1 on 4th and not operating on the 5th.

Why is it zero'ed out? That could be numerous reasons, such UA is planning to remove it from the schedule at some point or ???? It's not a downsize situation, it is scheduled for A319. Although It could go to E75?, I guess but UX between hubs is very rare.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Most likely cause if the seatmaps also show full is that they consolidated all the pax onto that flight and it really is full. Many pax may cxl but they haven't yet.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by adind
What’s up with the prices on United flights to EWR/LGA in June? They are charging minimum $600 round trip, and around $1000 on most.
booked a trip next May yesterday. Usually $250 now $1000 but no change fee before 6/30 so I’ll probably be capturing the lower fare when it comes in due time. Can’t book seat assignments either. Maybe just a holding flight waiting for real bookings sufficient t to justify the operation.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Eh, depends on how you look at it. Personally I wouldn't say that more than double the AA fare is anywhere close to "within the loyalty range".
It is when you're checking two bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.