Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculously uncompetitive airfares?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I had inquired about this (possible upgauge due to full flights) in a previous thread and it seemed the consensus was that most were ghost bookings and it was unlikely they'd increase gauge.
Can you reference where it was reported? I'd be interested in seeing more details (if any exist)
Things are changing daily, these are unusual times and the operations / revenue management folks who tend to use past experiences are "flying" blind.
From https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post32383777
Originally Posted by LarryJ
From what I've heard, domestic load factors are still under 40% overall and 35-40 flights per day are being up-gauged to larger aircraft to help maintain the empty seats on flights that are booked higher.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
My hope/bet is that the industry modifies or removes the "free changes" language after the current extension runs out on May 31st, and reverts back to the 2 hour rule. Probably a really good idea given that anyone buying a ticket today understands the situation. People are holding space harmlessly and perhaps hoping for a cancelation.

I think UA doesn't have a clue the percentage of people that will cancel a reservation and the unlimited free change policy is making for a massive inventory management problem. When UA culls the July schedule in coming days look for airfares to skyrocket and availability to plummet.

Last edited by dkc715; May 18, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
My hope/bet is that the industry modifies or removes the "free changes" language after the current extension runs out on May 31st, and reverts back to the 2 hour rule. Probably a really good idea given that anyone buying a ticket today understands the situation. People are holding space harmlessly and perhaps hoping for a cancelation.....
I agree this is likely an issue -- ghost bookings still on the books but more likely to get canceled, making flights look more full than they will be (I am guilty on two future TATL in later summer) and this solution would probably force the issue for many.

Removing "free changes" could become a PR issue unless the others follow. Suspect other carriers would also like the solution BUT this difficult situation to unwind.

Going back to the original 2-hour policy or at least honoring for previous bookings may be inevitable given the DOT, UA is probably wresting on how to unwinding previous refusals and what impact this will have on "cash" (Appears we are bleeding in the Refunds / DOT ruling thread topic).
Old May 18, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Doesn't it seem strange that UA is simultaneously being criticized for flying airplanes with too many passengers onboard and for having fares that are too high?
Not at all. You can have generally empty planes system-wide but still mess up a single flight providing free travel for a bunch of medical staff coming back from New York.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United’s sheer incompetence is showing with these fares. I had hoped to re-qualify for 2021 1K instead of relying on an extension, but now I am a confirmed Kayaker (along w/ Southwest.com). With the service reductions systemwide, I find it hard to concentrate my flying on UA if their fares are not near competitive AND not as convenient.

Unfortunately for me, price plus schedule does not equal United.

Can’t even provide a cheeseburger in coach to lure me due to service cutbacks. Congrats Kirby - your management has saved the cost of a cheeseburger, but it cost you an airfare purchase to do it.
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Doesn't it seem strange that UA is simultaneously being criticized for flying airplanes with too many passengers onboard and for having fares that are too high?
Clearly it is a fundamental human right to get the exclusive use of a new 747-8 for a $99 SFO-EWR ticket, haven't you heard?
Old May 18, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United’s sheer incompetence is showing with these fares. I had hoped to re-qualify for 2021 1K instead of relying on an extension, but now I am a confirmed Kayaker (along w/ Southwest.com). With the service reductions systemwide, I find it hard to concentrate my flying on UA if their fares are not near competitive AND not as convenient.

Unfortunately for me, price plus schedule does not equal United.

Can’t even provide a cheeseburger in coach to lure me due to service cutbacks. Congrats Kirby - your management has saved the cost of a cheeseburger, but it cost you an airfare purchase to do it.
Some routes are just ridiculous, one was IAD to SFO over $1300! I just priced a SFO to CLE and it was $1300+ RT. Yet I saw some deals into KOA in mid July, assuming the quarantine is lifted. As you state, UA pricing is just another reason driving me away from them. I have joined the Kayaker ranks (and Southwest.com) as well. Just sad...... Oh yeah IOT, sorry about the cheese burger, I know you loved them....LOL
Old May 18, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I suppose that would only be strange if all the airlines received the same criticisms.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MP
It seems everyone is misunderstanding - Scott & co are really helping us maintain elite status by taking away cheap fares, thereby forcing us to pay more. While there are other airlines, we obviously wouldn't consider them at all.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Well, IMO, some fares SHOULD increase; I sometimes get worried when I see fares so low, they couldn't even pay the Jet A fuel to carry me there!
(United's current flights from AVP are about the same as always, ~$200 to ORD.)

United should charge the maximum they can charge to keep the planes at 70% capacity!
Old May 18, 2020, 6:53 pm

united has cut too much capacity at EWR. There is not enough seats to maintain social distance on some of these flights, so they are raising prices.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
seems like its really only June at least for the routes I fly, in fact July and August fares to BUF are half of what they usually are, I am booking some trips!!
Old May 18, 2020, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Tickets from EWR to RSW are running about $400 each way. UA only has a single non-stop daily and NO competition anymore as previously there was Spirit and/or JetBlue. But, this may be our new reality as the airline is flying low load but making the same money as if flying 80%.
Spirit did extremely deep cuts, including ending all flights in the NY metro area. I wonder if theyre ready to jump back in, looking at these opportunities to compete
Old May 18, 2020, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Small sample size, but UA has not been at all competitive ex-SFO for the routes I've been looking at recently. I think they over-downgauged.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I flew direct IAD-JAX this weekend, first time since March. what used to be 3 direct and 15 flights through ORD/EWR has increased $$$ and the flights were both completely sold out. This will be the new normal, and I am ok with that. I want UA to stick around, and we should even be happy they are flying as much as they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.