Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I cancel my UA trip to Italy July 2020? Now, trying to get a refund.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I cancel my UA trip to Italy July 2020? Now, trying to get a refund.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What state is the ticket presently in? Which My Trips category? Is it showing in FFC? oc Canceled or Current? Check all three.
Trying properly to understand what state the ticket is in before providing comments.
I think it’s current because I can make changes or upgrade
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Deenee
Thought you were upgraded?

If current then you will need to cancel before the waiver expires, presently 30 June (but it has been extended twuce)

Not sure how you made a refund request without canceling but that probably is a different discussion.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I chose MUA (MileagePlus Upgrade Award) under their upgrade type in the drop down menu. We’ve never flown UA before so I’m not too familiar with the breakdown. But yes there was an upgrade fee.
We booked in 2019, it’s for our 10 year so we’ve been saving and planning for a while for this. It would’ve been our first time flying in business class.
I filed with DOT on May 25.
Thank you for clarifying about chargeback, I was unclear about how that works.
I’m even more confused now. How can you upgrade from business class?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thought you were upgraded?

If current then you will need to cancel before the waiver expires, presently 30 June (but it has been extended twuce)

Not sure how you made a refund request without canceling but that probably is a different discussion.
I can upgrade because they added all the connections to my flight. The connections ones I’m sitting in economy.

When I requested refund I called the first time, they denied me. Then I went online and clicked a button that said request refund and filled out a form online.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So the current position is that you have requested a refund, not a FFC or an ETC. Is that correct? I strongly suspect you'll be denied again, but good luck.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
So the current position is that you have requested a refund, not a FFC or an ETC. Is that correct? I strongly suspect you'll be denied again, but good luck.
Yes, I’ve only requested refund. I plan on waiting until the end of the month to request for credit. I’m waiting to hear back from DOT.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Yes, I’ve only requested refund. I plan on waiting until the end of the month to request for credit. I’m waiting to hear back from DOT.
Procedural question: Don't you have to cancel the reservation in order to request a refund?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I’m waiting to hear back from DOT.
Keep in mind - DOT doesn't resolve your individual case. In a few weeks, they will simply forward it to United who will then respond they are either issuing you a refund or denying you a refund. DOT is not going to say to UA - refund this particular case. All DOT can do, and it doesn't appear they have the appetite to do so - is eventually fine UA for not providing refunds per the guidance. Even then, that doesn't guarantee you a refund.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Procedural question: Don't you have to cancel the reservation in order to request a refund?
Yes.

Incidentally, Deenee , if you haven't been following it, take a look at the recent conversation on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ot-ruling.html . It seems that United has gone back to their previous two-hour change = refund policy, so your refund request might have a chance after all. I'd give it a couple of days to circulate through the front-line staff, and then I'd call and try again. Good luck!
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes.

Incidentally, Deenee , if you haven't been following it, take a look at the recent conversation on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ot-ruling.html . It seems that United has gone back to their previous two-hour change = refund policy, so your refund request might have a chance after all. I'd give it a couple of days to circulate through the front-line staff, and then I'd call and try again. Good luck!
Omg, thank you for the info! I will wait a few days to make the call. Thank you so much for the heads up!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone and their input. I called last night and got approved for a refund! They said it’d take 25 business days. Again, thank you so much!!!
jsloan, lexdevil, onthesam and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:18 am
RNE

Thank you so much to everyone and their input. I called last night and got approved for a refund! They said it’d take 25 business days. Again, thank you so much!!!
United's return to a sane 2-hour policy is where your thanks should lie, but we'll accept it anyway.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
wonderful news!! Enjoy the refund and there are other fun ways to celebrate the 10-year!
we took the United refund from April and recently bought new upgraded kitchen appliances - if not for the refund, we might have bought at a lower price tier!

Originally Posted by RNE
United's return to a sane 2-hour policy is where your thanks should lie, but we'll accept it anyway.
united could simply offer refunds like Hilton, but we depend on flyertalk to find out this type of information! Ft is always the best!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Got one of my refunds after 30 days. 2 are still pending, one approved and waiting and the other one waiting to hear ... another no-brainer so I am sure it will take another DOT complaint to resolve . We will see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.