Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I cancel my UA trip to Italy July 2020? Now, trying to get a refund.

Old Feb 27, 20, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if Iím posting in the right place. But please help. My husband and I booked a trip to Naples,Italy (IAD to NAP, Business class too ) for our 10 year for July. Now Iím scared to go because of the spike in cases of coronavirus in Italy. I want to cancel but I didnít buy travel insurance. My questions are:

1) we bought half cash half points, can I get my points back?
2) anyone know what the penalty fee for international flight?
3) we used our Chase ink biz card, anyone familiar with using their insurance to get money back?

any info would be helpful. Tia
Old Feb 27, 20, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deenee View Post
Not sure if I’m posting in the right place. But please help. My husband and I booked a trip to Naples,Italy (IAD to NAP, Business class too ) for our 10 year for July. Now I’m scared to go because of the spike in cases of coronavirus in Italy. I want to cancel but I didn’t buy travel insurance.
My questions are:
1) we bought half cash half points, can I get my points back?
2) anyone know what the penalty fee for international flight?
3) we used our Chase ink biz card, anyone familiar with using their insurance to get money back?

any info would be helpful. Tia
What airlines?
Points from where? Chase?
If Chase, have you asked Chase?
Check if the airlines have a wavier for Italy
No-one on FT knows your ticket t&c's
July is some months away. No-one knows what the situation will be then
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What airlines?
Points from where? Chase?
If Chase, have you asked Chase?
Check if the airlines have a wavier for Italy
No-one on FT knows your ticket t&c's
July is some months away. No-one knows what the situation will be then
oh sorry I booked with United and used United points. Right now they have a waiver for northern Italy. Weíre going to Naples (south)
Old Feb 27, 20, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
What did UA say when you asked them? I personally wouldn’t get all worked up about this.
Silver Fox and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
What did UA say when you asked them? I personally wouldnít get all worked up about this.
I havenít called yet. It just hit me last night that our trip might have to be cancelled and Iím super bummed. Been planning for so long.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If UA has published a waiver for NAP, then you will have your refund in accordance with the published policy. If there is no such policy, just sit tight. No reason to make a decision until and unless the need arises. Do make certain that any other prepaid aspects of your trip have some protection, e.g. insurance.
Old Feb 28, 20, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
But why would you proactively cancel your trip?
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you connecting in northern Italy on your UA ticket?
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
But why would you proactively cancel your trip?
Iím just exploring my options. I havenít cancelled yet.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
The thread below has information on waivers and cancellations/changes. As the situation is changing rapidly, you might want to keep checking for updates.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-bookings.html
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m just exploring my options. I haven’t cancelled yet.
Don’t rush to cancel, even if you decide that there’s no way you’re interested in taking the trip, no matter the situation in July. If the situation continues, UA is likely either to open up a waiver or cancel a flight that you’re on. If they cancel a flight, give them a few days for it to appear in your record and then call Chase to get a refund. If they issue a travel waiver, you’ll need to check the terms to see if it allows you a refund or just allows you to reschedule travel without paying a change fee.

If your flight isn’t cancelled, and there’s no waiver, the change fees for United award travel are $75 when changes are made more than 60 days prior to departure, or $125 otherwise. If you have status with United, these fees are reduced. United is also waiving change fees on a case-by-case basis, even outside of a waiver, so you can call and ask about that if necessary, but I’d wait until about 61 days prior to travel to see what happens.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to get cash back from UA for the points that you purchased. Instead, they will redeposit them for future use.

Last edited by jsloan; Mar 7, 20 at 9:27 pm Reason: Thanks RandomBaritone and JPG3392
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If they cancel a flight, give them a few days for it to appear in your record and then call Chase to get a refund. If they issue a travel waiver, you’ll need to check the terms to see if it allows you a refund or just allows you to reschedule travel without paying a change fee. Either way, you’ll need to work with Chase, as they’re your travel agent for this trip.
I don't believe that's the case, at least not according to OP.

oh sorry I booked with United and used United points.
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
I don't believe that's the case, at least not according to OP.
Oops, thanks; totally misread the first post. Iím going to go back and fix mine.
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:14 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Donít rush to cancel, even if you decide that thereís no way youíre interested in taking the trip, no matter the situation in July. If the situation continues, UA is likely either to open up a waiver or cancel a flight that youíre on. If they cancel a flight, give them a few days for it to appear in your record and then call Chase to get a refund. If they issue a travel waiver, youíll need to check the terms to see if it allows you a refund or just allows you to reschedule travel without paying a change fee.

If your flight isnít cancelled, and thereís no waiver, the change fees for United award travel are $75 when changes are made more than 60 days prior to departure, or $125 otherwise. If you have status with United, these fees are reduced. United is also waiving change fees on a case-by-case basis, even outside of a waiver, so you can call and ask about that if necessary, but Iíd wait until about 61 days prior to travel to see what happens.

It is extremely unlikely that you will not be able to get cash back from UA for the points that you purchased. Instead, they will redeposit them for future use.
Should the word "not" be removed from the first sentence of the last paragraph?
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
Should the word "not" be removed from the first sentence of the last paragraph?
Yes, thank you. Not my finest post. I’ll fix that also. (I originally wrote ‘you will not be able’ and then tried to soften it).
JPG3392 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: