Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Several Retailers pull plug on MileagePlus Shopping (and other portals?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

Not sure if the retailers pulled out, if United kicked them out, or what, but a large number of large retailers no longer participate in the MileagePlus Shopping program. Lowe's, Target, and Walmart are among the big box stores to get out this month. In looking over their updated list, it looks like most brick & mortar retail is out.

I appreciated Target in the program; it was easy to order groceries online, get 5% off, get UA mileage for the buy, and have them ready for pick-up or free delivery. Lowe's was also easy with online ordering through the portal with in-store pick-up.

According to the site, I earned over 104,000 UA miles at Target and Lowe's over the years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
It's not UA specific. Target and Walmart no longer participate in (at least) SkymilesShopping, Chase shopping portal and Rakuten. Probably COVID-related.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by blug
Probably COVID-related.
Absolutely COVID related. Marketing budgets are being slashed across the board.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Absolutely COVID related. Marketing budgets are being slashed across the board.
And in cases of the Target and Walmart's of the world, why pay to drive traffic to you, that will arrive organically.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I don't know if it still stands of not, but as of a week ago I was able to make a purchase on MileagePlusX at Walmart. This was through the MileagePlusX Shopping Portal, not gift cards. This was after Walmart dropped MP Shopping.

I also took advantage of having some extra cash at home, due to decreased spending, to buy a $500.00 Walmart gift card on MileagePlusX, in case Walmart leaves that as well.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yep, same for standard cashback sites. Was able to sneak in some purchases while some still had it available. Not sure I understand the rational fully ... if I have a choice of vendors and things cost the same everywhere ... I go where the cashback is.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
yep, same for standard cashback sites. .....
yeap, such as MrRebates
Walmart
Coupons Only
Cash Back is temporarily unavailable for Walmart.
Target
Coupons Only
Cash Back is temporarily disabled per Target's request due to large order volume.
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I don't know if it still stands of not, but as of a week ago I was able to make a purchase on MileagePlusX at Walmart. ....
Still in MPX at 0.5 miles/$

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:58 pm

Many retailers have pulled out of these site, the sites are keeping more of the money, or the percentages paid have decreased. I wonder if some of the sites will go under.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: UA MP
I've noticed this too - I have been shopping a bit online and some of my usual shops aren't offering cash back. J.Crew is, although I didn't bother with it for the 2 shirts I got for $0.40 shipped.

Originally Posted by bobley
Many retailers have pulled out of these site, the sites are keeping more of the money, or the percentages paid have decreased. I wonder if some of the sites will go under.
Some of these smaller sites might go under, but realistically most of them will stick around - the costs required to run the sites are quite low.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I also took advantage of having some extra cash at home, due to decreased spending, to buy a $500.00 Walmart gift card on MileagePlusX, in case Walmart leaves that as well.
I barely use this service but do have it. For the $500 gift card, I assume the cost is $599 - what is the benefit for buying the gift card?
Old May 1, 2020, 1:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
.... For the $500 gift card, I assume the cost is $599 - what is the benefit for buying the gift card?
The cost was $500 for a $500 giftt card but you earned UA MP miles on the gift card purchase. How much varied from 0.5m/$ to sometimes 3-4-5 m/$, more in MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
Old May 1, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Totally makes sense that some stores in the essentials category would pause on these sites. No need to generate traffic/sales. They are getting as much as they can handle.

I would expect to see some better offers from stores in the non-essential categories, especially as things start to open up. While it might cut into margins, it is also a lever to generate cash sales.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:34 am

UA doesn’t actually manage their shopping portal. It’s owned and operated by this company... https://www.cartera.com/ , which is in turn owned by Ebates/Rakuten.
https://www.cartera.com/news-release...rtera-commerce
They’re the ones who have the relationship and contract with the retailers. They also manage a bunch other airline / bank shopping portals.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:09 am
Community Director Emerita

I did Macys shopping when it was 10x/dollar for United. I was browsing yesterday and noticed Macy had no bonus points offer with any carrier. This explains it. Glad this thread was started.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup, noticed this as well, particularly with ebates/Rakuten. Amazon has pulled out of Rakuten as well - Amazon was rare to find on these sites, so always appreciated them being there, even though only limited categories.

And yes, some other retailers definitely have decent rebates through these programs. Not sure if they have increased recently, or have always been this way, but we got 5% back through Rakuten on a nice new Vitamix blender - which we needed anyway since our old one died (they are 2 miles/$ on MP Shopping). Surprised to see a high-end brand which has enough unique advantages and stature to not seemingly need additional incentives to encourage purchase. But presumably especially when times like this come along, it may be more necessary. Hey, I'll take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.