Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I think they’ve realized that the demand has fallen but selectively, so what’s left is quite inelastic and price is not so important.
I think it's more a land grab while the sky is falling and everyone is focussed elsewhere. I suspect that they will be selling huge amounts of miles to Chase and soon we will see 100K+ signup bonuses on the Explorer cards.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:05 pm

Domestic ANA Flights went from 5K to 8.5K.

Used to be a nice sweet spot! Should've rescheduled instead of cancelled my flights.

edit: As MatthewLAX rightly pointed out, I was searching within the next 30 days of today. If its far out in the future, its still 5K.

Last edited by Yunnnn; Apr 29, 2020 at 9:47 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by United857
On the plus side, J class to Europe at the same time has a few 66k options now vs. the previous 70k, although some others have stayed constant at 70k or increased to 77k.
J class to Europe (UA across the Atlantic + partner within Europe) used to be 60k miles. Now it'll be 66k miles for most dates, although I found 60k on Christmas eve for one route.
And as you said, partner awards to Europe (partner airline across the Atlantic) have gone up from 70k to 77k.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Domestic ANA Flights went from 5K to 8.5K.

Used to be a nice sweet spot! Should've rescheduled instead of cancelled my flights.
For what date? Within 30 days the cost goes up 3.5K regardless of award. But after 07/01, I would expect (I haven't checked) the price to be up 10% rounded to the nearest 500 miles, so up to 5.5K...

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Apr 29, 2020 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I guess I'm not as freaked out about this as most others are. 10% isn't a huge hit. I expected dynamic pricing, so it's all relative. Of course, who knows what the future holds.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by st530
I guess I'm not as freaked out about this as most others are. 10% isn't a huge hit. I expected dynamic pricing, so it's all relative. Of course, who knows what the future holds.
Dynamic all in one upward direction...

At least AA has some great new deals with its dynamic AA awards.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Dynamic all in one upward direction...

At least AA has some great new deals with its dynamic AA awards.
I take your point, but I still like the certainty (for however long it lasts) that I can book standard J on a partner for X miles over the crap-shoot of dynamic pricing.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
What the hell. Should have called last night to book what I wanted. Everything is more expensive today. Even the combo of UA long-haul with a short connection on a partner is no longer the UA price. Really sad how UA uses the the current global crisis to sneak in this devaluation. Really sad. Not impressed.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I take your point, but I still like the certainty (for however long it lasts) that I can book standard J on a partner for X miles over the crap-shoot of dynamic pricing.
This is still the case for now over at AA. Dynamic pricing applies to AA metal only; award chart still holds for partner and partner+AA combination metal.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
To be completely honest, I'm not at all surprised UA increased partner awards - I'm surprised they only increased them by 10%. I would have expected more. We know UA doesn't care much about engendering loyalty these days, and doing this in the middle of a pandemic should be no surprise at all.

Sadly, I had an NH F redemption booked using UA miles I had to cancel due to quarantine restrictions, so this will slow down my race towards a 0 account balance. It'll be very satisfying once I can forget I even have an MP account.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Nope. A return of 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25% is not good enough.
Remember that Chase's UR travel portal books via Expedia just like a revenue booking, so loyalty program points will be earned if they would be earned via Expedia (which is airlines but not most hotel chains, IIRC). This is a substantial increase to the return calculation and must be factored in.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 29, 2020 at 5:57 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Previously if you booked a partner say SFO-FRA-JNB it priced that as a one way - 80K, I can find examples where its now pricing similar awards end on end, meaning its about 140K each way for a "saver" award. I don't know if that's a glitch or not but not having any award chart to fall back on basically means this is a huge devaluation.
This would be another terrible devaluation, but I'm not seeing it applied uniformly. For example, I can still get an ORD-IST-HND award post-7/1 for 88k (the old 80k price plus a 10% increase). As the UA.com award search and pricing engine has never been known as a model of robustness and reliability, who knows what UA actually intends to implement here.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Partner award from the US to Europe using AA miles: 57.5k miles
Partner award from the US to Europe using US miles: 77k miles

Yeah, I'm going to use my UA credit card instead of my AA credit card to collect miles.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
what irks me is the 'no warning' piece. Completely inconsistent with prior increases and ... still no Email from UA about this change. They way UA conducts business these days is just not what it used to be. Sad.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
To be completely honest, I'm not at all surprised UA increased partner awards - I'm surprised they only increased them by 10%.
Completely agree. This was all but inevitable when they made the original changes to remove UA award charts. People should have seen this coming from miles away...

Regards

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2020 at 6:08 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
what irks me is the 'no warning' piece. Completely inconsistent with prior increases and ... still no Email from UA about this change. They way UA conducts business these days is just not what it used to be. Sad.
They feel they can get away with it thanks the the virus. Instead of enticing passengers to get money, they’re alienating us to save money. It’ll cost them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.