Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Interesting, XN class for far out travel.

PPT-SFO - 58k
PPT-SFO-YYZ - 35k (UA metal)
PPT-SFO-YYZ - 38.5k (AC metal on last leg) - a premium for flying an inferior airline....
The difference between the first two (58k vs 35k) is akin to pricing behavior for revenue travel in several markets--essentially charging a premium for nonstop service. The difference between the last two (35k vs 38.5k) is the bogus new 10% premium for traveling on a *A partner for some/all of an award itinerary.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by dkc192
The difference between the first two (58k vs 35k) is akin to pricing behavior for revenue travel in several markets--essentially charging a premium for nonstop service. The difference between the last two (35k vs 38.5k) is the bogus new 10% premium for traveling on a *A partner for some/all of an award itinerary.
Second point agree on, and its nonsense.
But first point makes no sense. PPT-SFO Is $572, PPT-SFO-YYZ is $937. Yet in miles its 58k for the cheaper ticket, and 35k for the more expensive one.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Second point agree on, and its nonsense.
But first point makes no sense. PPT-SFO Is $572, PPT-SFO-YYZ is $937. Yet in miles its 58k for the cheaper ticket, and 35k for the more expensive one.
Regardless, it's true; in many cases, UA seems to be charging more miles for nonstop flights than they do for connecting flights. What's definitely clear, though, is that the number of miles being charged is not tied directly to the fare.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I have a partner award to Europe that was booked at the old 70k rate, but now the transatlantic flight has been canceled. I called UA reservations to get rebooked on a routing that still shows as operational, but the agent insisted that I'd have to pay an additional 7k miles because I'd be flying on a different partner airline.
Really? That's how it works now?

I also tried to rebook my ticket online, but that also shows that I'd owe UA another 7k miles. I called web support and tried to argue it's a pricing error, but to no avail.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
I called UA reservations to get rebooked on a routing that still shows as operational, but the agent insisted that I'd have to pay an additional 7k miles because I'd be flying on a different partner airline.
Really? That's how it works now?
Same day of travel? HUCA. An agent should be able to override the pricing.

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
I also tried to rebook my ticket online, but that also shows that I'd owe UA another 7k miles. I called web support and tried to argue it's a pricing error, but to no avail.
Yes, that's normal. Only the IRROPS flow would allow you to waive fare differences, and I don't recall seeing that triggered unless travel is imminent. Any sort of online change would be treated as voluntary, meaning that fare differences would apply.
SPN Lifer and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:50 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Same day of travel? HUCA. An agent should be able to override the pricing.
I called a second time. Agent told me same thing, and when I argued that I should be able to rebook without paying additional mileage, the response was "Computer says 'no'".
I asked for a supervisor, and after about 20 minutes of wrestling the system, they figured it out.

It's times like these I miss being able to speak to a 1K agent...
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
it's just the addition of the LH segment which triggers the extra 10%, no matter how short it is. On a r/t you can get around it with the excursionist perk if it is just 1 segment.
i understand the logic but this is not necessarily true.if he is going to ham from fra I presume he wants to do this on the same day and the excursionist perk is not meant to be same day as outgoing or ingoing flight.(cant find it in the rules but what two different agents told me) you can get round this by booking it yourself online..

Last edited by bryanwallace; Jun 8, 2020 at 11:17 pm Reason: quote added
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
the excursionist perk is not meant to be same day as outgoing or ingoing flight.(cant find it in the rules but what two different agents told me)
There is no such rule. However, I concur that it's not in the spirit of the Excursionist Perk, so I'm not surprised that some agents refused to book it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Did I Miss Another MP Devaluation ???

I have been looking at a MP trip in J to BKK in January or February. I notice that the number of miles is now 99,000 miles, not the 90,000 it has been. I must have missed the announcement of the devaluation. When did that occur?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have been looking at a MP trip in J to BKK in January or February. I notice that the number of miles is now 99,000 miles, not the 90,000 it has been. I must have missed the announcement of the devaluation. When did that occur?
Yes, you did.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
With the removal of the award chart, and the switch to dynamic pricing, even for partner awards, UA no longer announces devaluations. They just change prices on a whim.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
increase in miles needed for international flights?

Trying to plan ahead when travel returns in the late fall next spring. Noticed that flights from US to Thailand have gone from 40k in coach to 44k and flights to Male went from 42.5 to 47k? I had a flight to Phuket in March booked a few months back but cancelled and at the time the flight was 40K each way most anytime any day. Male has been 42.5k again most anytime. Is this the new norm?? I'd think they would want to encourage folks to burn miles when there isn't much traffic to lighten the demand when things clear up in the future.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 5, 2020 at 2:38 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:09 pm

SFO-DEL is now 93.5k ow in J on partners! Used to be 85k! Seems like a 10% premium for flying partners compared to the old price, but this is ridiculous as partners were already 85k vs. 75k on UA metal. And all this when loads are super low.

Last edited by abcx; Aug 24, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by abcx
SFO-DEL is now 93.5k ow in J on partners! Used to be 85k! Seems like a 10% premium for flying partners compared to the old price, but this is ridiculous as partners were already 85k vs. 75k on UA metal. And all this when loads are super low.
Well, did you see the title of the thread.

But yes I agree it's ridiculous.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:07 pm

Rebooked and got a miles refund!

In April, I booked two J seats on EVA from TPE to the US for 88k each. I had to change the dates recently so cancelled and took future flight credit so as to not trigger a redeposit fee.
The future credit was posted under same PNR. I tried to rebook online thru the flight credit link but it wouldn't show availability, even though with a fresh booking I could see the seats for 88k each.

So I called to rebook and they told me I couldn't do it online because the cost went down(!) to 80k each.
Now everything has been rebooked, same UA and BR PNR's and I have 16k redeposited.

Tricky thing: the future flight credit option only showed up on the UA app. If I tried to cancel on the website, a full redeposit with $150 fee was the only option.
Very tricky! But I came out ahead.
SPN Lifer, cfischer and cuthroat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.