Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can UA survive? Opinions on its future

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Complex technical issues are discussed far better in person than with teleconference tools. Sketching ability in those tools is still pretty rudimentary. And if you have a supplier building custom things for you that take a long time, there's nothing like physically walking through the facility and being able to inspect stuff in work live, or observe critical work live.
I just wasted 5 days on calls and emails trying to address an issue that could have been settled with a 1 hour client meeting and a dinner.
Doppy, SteveHK, NoLaGent and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'
Robert Crandall
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:36 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
As Warren Buffet once reportedly said "to make a million in airlines, you start with a billion"
Even DL purchase of VS that looked so good - SQ paid $1 bn for what DL paid $360m for or thereabouts - now looks like a terrible idea.

Still a drop in the bucket for DL - They should have focused on getting the gate slots at LHR
Even those - I wonder what the value is of going to a small highly infectious island with limited ventilator resources in future .....

The country that benefits the most now is obviously China - the US is a huge melting pot of infection
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Post-COVID is going to be just like after the 1918 flu when nobody ever left the house again!"

Some people seem to be hoping for permanent quarantine and massive death. The most likely thing is that we get past this and things more or less return to the way they were before COVID, perhaps with some recognition that more work from home is possible.
zombietooth and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Doppy
"Post-COVID is going to be just like after the 1918 flu when nobody ever left the house again!"

Some people seem to be hoping for permanent quarantine and massive death. The most likely thing is that we get past this and things more or less return to the way they were before COVID, perhaps with some recognition that more work from home is possible.
+1
If my extended family is any example, there is going to be a spurt of dense travel as soon as restrictions are relaxed. I feel like I'm in the blocks at the start line right now, leaning forward, waiting for the gun to fire. Actually, since Texas relaxed things quite a bit this week, I've already got an offer for a contract job in the panhandle that I am seriously thinking about jumping on.
Doppy and SteveHK like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by mduell
$4-5k for bulk-bought SFO-PEK Y? This is not in touch with reality.
'Tis true. Our company does a lot to/from SFO/HK/China and our internal price on tickets in Polaris business is $4k all day, every day. I've bought them just a day or two before leaving, the same price. Same pricing for Tokyo.

We definitely don't have a deal going the other direction. West Coast to Europe is sometimes $6k but more often $8k or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.