Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can UA survive? Opinions on its future

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FrequentTPAC
No, I believe that there is less than 30% chance for anything close to that scenario. What I do believe is that UAL will become the place where investor money goes to die, besides being a challenge to any passenger looking for quality service. UAL leadership (primarily Mr. Kirby) believes that he is competing with LC and not with DL/B6 and truly detests, besides his own employees, revenue business customers expecting competitive J/F cabin. This is not sustainable - neither for UAL nor for any clientele that lacks masochist tendencies. No one who tried Mint on domestic, NH on TPAC or LH/Swiss on TATL will willingly spend money with UAL. The real hope is that Mr Kirby will be shown the door to follow Mr. Smisek - the healing will quickly happen after that.
Whining about Scott Kirby and his changes to the Premier program (that have essentially been blown up by the COVID-19 crisis before fully rolling out) doesn't change the fact that United's performance has completely turned for the better essentially since the day he walked in the door. It was the first time in a generation that United had a forward-looking, growth-oriented strategy run by a competent airline manager

United would be in dire straits right now if the likes of Andrew Levy and Julia Haywood set the company's course during the last "good" years of the most recent economic boom cycle. United gained a lot of competitive ground in 2016-2019, much of it to the detriment of AA, and I attribute that to Kirby.
MDWCommuter and tuolumne like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FrequentTPAC
... the bulk of UAL profit is derived from TPAC bulk sales on Y seats to China ....
Understanding this was referring to J not Y,
I have some trouble with this assertion
First (From UA 2019 Annual Report)

Less than 12% of UA revenue came from the Pacific region, while this revenue, not profit, if the profit margins for China travel (assuming we are rolling HKG into China) were the bulk of UA profits, then the China travel profits would have to greater than 10x the rest of the UA system and without HKG, maybe 15x, And this is problematic as fares (& PRASM?) tend to be higher TATL than TPAC.
Additionally, the UA profits have increased as the Pacific % revenues have decreased

In 2019, UA' Net Operating Income was $4.3B, so bulk (>50%) would be >$2,2B and China (If all Pacific is 5.1B) , is less than $4B, we are talk 50% profit margins -- in the airline industry ????and other carriers were dropping China due to poor profits. Does not compute.

While it is beleive China has been an important contribution to UA for many years, being the bulk of profits does not seem plausible.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I agree wholly with your assertions... can we swivel for a minute on this chart?

What percentage of the domestic network comes from EWR? Just throwing darts, I'd guess maybe 20%? If so, that's $5.2b in revenue.

Last I recall, EWR was north of 15% margin. So just the domestic part of EWR traffic, at that 15% margin, would be almost $800m.

If net income was $4.3b, take out the $800m for EWR domestic, that's $3.5b for everything else - the rest of the domestic network plus all international routes. No way does China make up the "bulk" of that.... not possible.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
Whining about Scott Kirby and his changes to the Premier program (that have essentially been blown up by the COVID-19 crisis before fully rolling out) doesn't change the fact that United's performance has completely turned for the better essentially since the day he walked in the door. It was the first time in a generation that United had a forward-looking, growth-oriented strategy run by a competent airline manager

United would be in dire straits right now if the likes of Andrew Levy and Julia Haywood set the company's course during the last "good" years of the most recent economic boom cycle. United gained a lot of competitive ground in 2016-2019, much of it to the detriment of AA, and I attribute that to Kirby.

I’m buying all the shares I can.
drklain and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
I’m buying all the shares I can.
and so was the company. whoever was responsible for that has no place in the future of united airlines.
seanp7 and LAXOGG like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bearkatt
and so was the company. whoever was responsible for that has no place in the future of united airlines.
Share repurchase are almost universally used by publicly traded companies due to systematic issues with our tax code and economic system.

Vilifying United, and other airlines, for returning capital to shareholders like every other company is kind of a cheap shot, particularly when United funded its buybacks with cash flow, not cheap debt.

Not pursuing buybacks would not have created the customer utopia many desire. Find a better boogeyman to blame.
Bear96, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I am rooting for UA and the employees and I am looking forward to getting back in the air.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jonlibby
I am rooting for UA and the employees and I am looking forward to getting back in the air.
Agreed on all the above!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:09 am

The days of blaming executives at United, United's product, United's network, United's Polaris conversions, United's FF program as reason why United is sub-par and traumatized your first born, etc. are gone. It was mostly hot air before Covid as United has had a genuine renaissance the last 72 months, but to still hear that stuff now is rather incredulous. We are living through the largest global crisis since the second world war, and arguably worse.
jonlibby, kb1992, EWR764 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:12 am

I agree with the above also. Will be in the air often when safe
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tuolumne
The days of blaming executives at United, United's product, United's network, United's Polaris conversions, United's FF program as reason why United is sub-par and traumatized your first born, etc. are gone. It was mostly hot air before Covid as United has had a genuine renaissance the last 72 months, but to still hear that stuff now is rather incredulous. We are living through the largest global crisis since the second world war, and arguably worse.
Very well said.

Thank you for your attempt to provide levity within this thread.

We’ve never seen anything like this in the industry.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2020 at 10:01 am Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

Yeah, yeah. That may be factually correct, but every GOOD story has an antagonist!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:07 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
...United has had a genuine renaissance the last 72 months, but to still hear that stuff now is rather incredulous.
I'd agree. While no leadership team will be perfect, it should be remembered under Kirby we saw more premium seats added, the next evolution of upgrades, network expansion, and so on.

I'll even go a step further and risk heresy here by saying UA upping the bar for Premier Status is inherently good for being able to defend the benefits offered by the program. UA could not have picked a worse time to up the requirements IMHO but in all fairness to management, it's not like Bondar or Kirby knew what delightful surprises awaited them in 2020.

The criticism of UA I feel is valid is in the smaller things that I suspect are immaterial in the scheme of things (e.g. requiring lifetime UC members to be flying on UA/partners, getting cute if you want to change your FFN after check-in, etc.) I'd also throw out middle management at UA was getting a little too arrogant as well. Won't go into the details here but the vibe I got from many, but not all, of the UA MDs to SVPs I personally met and interacted with in 2018/2019 was the "customers need us more than we need customers" mistake.

Anyways back to the point of UAL is finished...meh, disagree with this. If UAL is finished so is AA, DL, WN, etc., and a plethora of other small, medium, and large businesses far beyond aviation.

However recent events have shown the current administration is willing to support a broad spectrum of industries and I just don't see this as ending. Moreover, the US aviation sector is viewed as critical for national security, I doubt it will ever be "finished". Now, we might see a very "different" UA (and AA, DL, etc.), but I don't think UA is finished in the sense the OP implied.
kb1992, EWR764 and narvik like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Constructive discussions with proper data to support one's argument is always the basis for continuing exchange of views, but emotional debates with personal views without adequate data my not be helpful.

The world is experiencing something we have not seen for a century. Most of the industries will be impacted post Covid-19 whether it its business model, labor relationship, fundraising, liquidity and capital resource.... the list go on. There will be significant change management initiatives taking places across a number of entities globally. Politicians and policymakers will be under pressure to get the balance right in managing economy going forward.

Having too many posts focusing on "blaming" in the time of Covid-19 with doomsday projections, IMHO, are not helpful.
LarryJ, kb1992 and EWR764 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fly18725
Share repurchase are almost universally used by publicly traded companies due to systematic issues with our tax code and economic system.

Vilifying United, and other airlines, for returning capital to shareholders like every other company is kind of a cheap shot, particularly when United funded its buybacks with cash flow, not cheap debt.

Not pursuing buybacks would not have created the customer utopia many desire. Find a better boogeyman to blame.
People who don't understand public company finance and how the IRC applies, spend their days whining about the ink on the boarding passes, the thread count in the hot towels, and finance moves they don't understand.

Post-Covid is going to a new world. Major corporate contracts are what will keep UA (AA & DL as well) in the air and the businesses with those contracts will be focused on the bottom line, not on how many meal choices there are in the J cabin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2020 at 1:12 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s); Do not go personal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.