Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
But they wouldn't use the bigger planes to give passengers more distancing,.

They would do it because they had more passengers than could fit in a smaller plane?
Correct - since the distancing doesn't do anything for you anyway.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Slightly off topic. I found myself joining in with my seat mates yesterday in snickering at the preflight announcements that included how to sneeze correctly and the various face mask requirements and enhanced cleaning being preformed. Having set a light hearted and jovial attitude I decided to raise the stakes and took the used disinfectant wipe and ran it down the length of the ventilation outlet over the window and showed it to them. The wipe and vent had changed colors. The wipe was now gray and the vent became it’s original off white. So much for enhanced cleaning. The AC was an EMB #N86347 and my seat mates were mostly repositioning flight crew.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Slightly off topic. I found myself joining in with my seat mates yesterday in snickering at the preflight announcements that included how to sneeze correctly and the various face mask requirements and enhanced cleaning being preformed. Having set a light hearted and jovial attitude I decided to raise the stakes and took the used disinfectant wipe and ran it down the length of the ventilation outlet over the window and showed it to them. The wipe and vent had changed colors. The wipe was now gray and the vent became it’s original off white. So much for enhanced cleaning. The AC was an EMB #N86347 and my seat mates were mostly repositioning flight crew.
Unfortunately, not off topic given UA's claims (with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic offering their fine reputations) of "CleanPlus".

Hint to UA: if you are really going to claim "clean" - then actually CLEAN!

David
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Of course, the question remains why they were obviously quite cavalier in the past happy to leave us in a toxic, filthy plane before. It's not as though "hygiene" has just been invented.
Old May 24, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m no expert, but I think dirty surfaces don’t necessarily mean they are laden with bacteria or viruses. Short of steam cleaning the entire airplane you are always going to have this.😷
Old May 24, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m no expert, but I think dirty surfaces don’t necessarily mean they are laden with bacteria or viruses. Short of steam cleaning the entire airplane you are always going to have this.😷
Look, the truth is that this virus is fragile and denatures pretty easily. Contact with soapy water destroys the lipid envelope and the virus literally falls apart, like a broken candy jar, in a few seconds. In addition UVC and even UVA light have been demonstrated to denature this virus quickly (sunlight, almost instantly). So, notwithstanding the collection of nuts, hair, wrappers and various sticky things jammed in, around and under the seats (meeting the traditional definition of "dirty"), all we need to stop contact spread of this virus is a protocol whereby the surfaces touched the most by passengers get a dose of soapy water or alcohol before a new group boards.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 24, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Short of steam cleaning the entire airplane you are always going to have this.
All they'd need to do is crank up the heat for ~30 minutes. What's the max. setting on the thermostat again? If they can get to 60°C it would suffice!

(I recall UA flights [after meal service] that were so uncomfortably hot, they would have killed any SARS-CoV-2 virus in 10 minutes! )
Old May 24, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Look, the truth is that this virus is fragile and denatures pretty easily. Contact with soapy water destroys the lipid envelope and the virus literally falls apart, like a broken candy jar, in a few seconds. In addition UVC and even UVA light have been demonstrated to denature this virus quickly (sunlight, almost instantly). So, notwithstanding the collection of nuts, hair, wrappers and various sticky things jammed in, around and under the seats (meeting the traditional definition of "dirty"), all we need to stop contact spread of this virus is a protocol whereby the surfaces touched the most by passengers get a dose of soapy water or alcohol before a new group boards.
The truth is that most cases, the vast majority of them, are indoor aerosolized transmissions. Outside transmission (because infection comes from viral load, and the virus defuses more widely outside) requires close contact and lengthy exposure or a super spreader with very high viral load and exposure.

So United's sanitize, clean, etc, does not really address the issue, which is aerosolized transmission. Masks and as much distance as possible (i.e. empty middles) is the only workable solution. Alas, UA is not really doing either consistently. As a result I will not be flying them.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
... Masks and as much distance as possible (i.e. empty middles) is the only workable solution. Alas, UA is not really doing either consistently. As a result I will not be flying them.
With both of those as your criteria, it does not appear any domestic airline will meet your needs or if any airline will.

(BTW, I have chosen not to fly as I would agree, there is no risk-free choice at the moment)
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

(BTW, I have chosen not to fly as I would agree, there is no risk-free choice at the moment)
We all have different perspectives. I'd happily take a 100% full flight if I wasn't subject to Hawaii quarantine on return. We more things out there to worry about on a plane than Corona (flu, colds - whatever else). If I wanted risk-free, I'd never get to travel again.
jsloan and FlyngSvyr like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 7:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew a pair of E75s last week. On each of them 1A, 1C and 1D had straps saying "DO NOT USE" across them. However on ORD-RDU a deadheading FA sat in 1A. She offered to go to the gate agent and find out what seat in Y she could have but the lead FA told her it was fine to sit there.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by spin88
The truth is that most cases, the vast majority of them, are indoor aerosolized transmissions. Outside transmission (because infection comes from viral load, and the virus defuses more widely outside) requires close contact and lengthy exposure or a super spreader with very high viral load and exposure.

So United's sanitize, clean, etc, does not really address the issue, which is aerosolized transmission. Masks and as much distance as possible (i.e. empty middles) is the only workable solution. Alas, UA is not really doing either consistently. As a result I will not be flying them.
I just completed my 7th transcon flight in 3 weeks a few days ago, and UA is requesting that everyone wear masks and keep them on. However, as I pointed out in another post, most are dropping them down an hour or so into the flight. It takes real discipline to keep a mask on for 4-5 hours and there is nothing UA can do about slack behavior. Also, there is evidence that the increased CO2 concentration inside the mask volume triggers a reflex that causes people to feel like they need more air. On my last flight, with about a 75% load, only 2 or 3, myself included, kept our masks on the whole flight. Every airline has this problem. An empty middle on DL means nothing when everyone has their mask down.

You won't be able to fly at all I fear because human behavior is just too hard to change. If it was easy to change behavior with threats and laws, we would have eradicated drug abuse long ago.
Silver Fox and narvik like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I giggled a few times yesterday flying with both UA and LH... lots of time spent asking people to keep 6 feet apart in the boarding area and the jet bridge, then you get on a plane and can literally poke multiple people from your seat.... like, what is the point of social distancing in the gate area and jet bridge, and then getting into a petri dish with your new bffs.
Silver Fox and thejaredhuang like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I giggled a few times yesterday flying with both UA and LH... lots of time spent asking people to keep 6 feet apart in the boarding area and the jet bridge, then you get on a plane and can literally poke multiple people from your seat.... like, what is the point of social distancing in the gate area and jet bridge, and then getting into a petri dish with your new bffs.
At least on UA you can use the gasper valves to make a kind of air curtain for yourself.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Presumably if you were contagious, exposing the ~10 people or whatever near you on the plane is better than exposing ~10 people on the plane and another ~10 people in the terminal, plus 5 more on the jet bridge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.