Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA dramatically increases mileage redemptions for merchandize / gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA dramatically increases mileage redemptions for merchandize / gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yikes, they're really killing the value of miles for merchandise. I've been contemplating grabbing a couple of apple items. Last week the rate was around $0.0075 / mile and it was like that through the weekend. Yesterday it dropped to $0.0060 / mile and today it dropped again to $0.0040!!

Of course this makes me want to dump my miles even more.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tht
It looks like they increased the redemption rates for Apple products again. Assuming they are seeing people cashing in or they would not be upping the rates.

I ordered 512GB Mac mini 2 weeks ago... it was 146,600 miles (before tax) today that same model is 275,800 miles (before tax) paying cash it costs $1,099 (before tax).

Yes the rate for miles use was bad using the traditional value, but for me it was reducing exposure, I have seen the value of my miles decrease year on year.... I have plenty of CSR points if I need to increase my UA MP balance. I redeemed about 276,800 of my UA miles for 2 iPads and a Mac mini (maybe 1/3 of my balance), in contrast my last miles redemption was 265,000 for a J EWR-BLR-EWR, so vs that it does not feel like a bad value.
in 2016 i bought a mac mini with miles for about 90k, i get that the current ones are a lot better, but ouch, that's quite the increase.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:27 am
Suspended

In general, mileage redemption for merchandise is not a good deal.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Mama
In general, mileage redemption for merchandise is not a good deal.
Right, and it's guaranteed to become an even worse deal as United essentially pays "hard dollars" for those redemptions. And anything involving hard dollars will be frustrated by UA (and every major airline) to the maximum extent possible.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Right, and it's guaranteed to become an even worse deal as United essentially pays "hard dollars" for those redemptions. And anything involving hard dollars will be frustrated by UA (and every major airline) to the maximum extent possible.
I guess that could explain the higher mileage cost.
that said, when I flew and earned miles, I always used them before or had plans to use them. I still get miles via Chase. I would be willing to swap some miles for an amazon Or grocery gift card since I still buy stuff for food. I’m hardly buying anything else simply because I don’t need much at this point.

i recently used open table points for a shopping gift card at 50% discount. May as well as get something useful NOW instead of planning to dine out anywhere in the future.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
United has doubled all the miles for merchandise. I was looking at some of the electronics a week ago and now the miles required is doubled.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by atarigeek
United has doubled all the miles for merchandise. I was looking at some of the electronics a week ago and now the miles required is doubled.
That stinks.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Wished I had went beyond simply buying a watch two weekends ago and dumped all my miles that day. Merchandise and flights are horribly over priced now.

it would be like doubling gas prices when oil is in negative territory right now.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:36 am

I hope we don't reach the point where even double miles for merchandise looks like a good deal.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
While not directly relevant, there is also a large banner every time I search for an award flight reminding me that "miles never expire" and that I could book the ticket with cash for the "low price of $6XXX" (was looking at a one way award from SYD-MCO). Clearly fits with the theme that they are doing everything they can to discourage mileage redemption. I understand their pain given the current situation and that they need cash but seems more than a bit unfair (with regards to the gift cards/merchandise).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cash is king. Neither UA nor any carrier can think of is looking for ways to spend cash in order to get miles off its books. Made no sense pre-bailout and now, even less.

Merchandise & cards are even worse than ticket redemptions.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I had a merchandise order that was lost in transit... called today (before realizing the price doubling). The ‘helpful’ agent cancelled my order and put the miles back in my account. Lovely.

Conserve cash but giving me less incentive to spend on future United flights... chapter 7 here they come...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
I hope we don't reach the point where even double miles for merchandise looks like a good deal.
Well, they are charging the same miles for $500 in merchandise vs a Polaris round trip to Asia with a retail value of ~~~$5,000. To me, it looks like a deliberate attempt to get miles off their liabilities at a substantial cost advantage for United by screwing over the ill-informed who can't calculate and compare the value of miles.

"Hey look Charlotte, we can cash in those United miles and get a free gas BBQ from Home Depot, it's not like we'll be travelin' anytime soon!"

I guess one man's scam is another man's opportunity.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well, they are charging the same miles for $500 in merchandise vs a Polaris round trip to Asia with a retail value of ~~~$5,000. To me, it looks like a deliberate attempt to get miles off their liabilities at a substantial cost advantage for United by screwing over the ill-informed who can't calculate and compare the value of miles.

"Hey look Charlotte, we can cash in those United miles and get a free gas BBQ from Home Depot, it's not like we'll be travelin' anytime soon!"
Could they be working off of the fear factor?

Originally Posted by Often1
Cash is king. Neither UA nor any carrier can think of is looking for ways to spend cash in order to get miles off its books. Made no sense pre-bailout and now, even less.

Merchandise & cards are even worse than ticket redemptions.
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
While not directly relevant, there is also a large banner every time I search for an award flight reminding me that "miles never expire" and that I could book the ticket with cash for the "low price of $6XXX" (was looking at a one way award from SYD-MCO). Clearly fits with the theme that they are doing everything they can to discourage mileage redemption.
I was originally thinking that they should use the opportuntiy of empty planes to get people to burn their miles with low marginal costs, but then I realized that concept would definitely cost them some cash. After all, they won't have to worry about the liabilities at all if they go completely belly up.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I understand their pain given the current situation and that they need cash but seems more than a bit unfair (with regards to the gift cards/merchandise).
Would be even more unfair to see them go belly up. If I have a choice of using my miles tomorrow or not at all, I'll definitely pick tomorrow.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I was originally thinking that they should use the opportuntiy of empty planes to get people to burn their miles with low marginal costs, but then I realized that concept would definitely cost them some cash. After all, they won't have to worry about the liabilities at all if they go completely belly up.
They already tried to generate demand with extremely low fares; it didn't work. They could open up as many cheap reward seats as they wanted, and it wouldn't cause people to travel. And if demand were to pick back up, they wouldn't want to be in the position of having sold a bunch of cheap award tickets.

From a business perspective, it makes sense. From a customer loyalty perspective, it'd probably build them some goodwill to offer a few discounts on future award travel, yes.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.