Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA dramatically increases mileage redemptions for merchandize / gift cards

Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K

Not sure if anyone has looked. But looks as if UA is bumping up the miles required for some of the award shopping, especially redeeming miles for gift cards.

Example. $500 Home Depot gift card used to cost 78,124 miles. Today it now cost 166,666 miles- a 133% increase. I'm guessing a less known back door way to save some cash during the current time during COVID-19.

Last edited by dc9flyernwa; Mar 14, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://giftcards.mileageplus.com/

113% increase
-- but still a major discouragement for converting miles to cash
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Woops, fat fingers!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
terrible value before ... now just plain ridiculous.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:11 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
PSA all - yes ALL - fiat eventually goes to ZERO.

The market in action.

I wonder if you'll see a corresponding decrease to incentivize mileage burn for non-cash redemptions (e.g. distressed inventory that would have otherwise spoiled).

Wonder what else UA is looking to slash to preserve cash.

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 14, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
100%+ up from normal pricing is pretty good gouging. It's not like they're a limited quantity item.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
100%+ up from normal pricing is pretty good gouging. It's not like they're a limited quantity item.
It's pretty clear with this sort of pricing, UA is actively discouraging this sort of transaction. This is not an essential function and probably not heavily used given the original poor value.
The other choice would have been to suspend the activity but there may have been some contractual restriction on that.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:45 pm

"Cash out" MIles

What are your thoughts on how United will weather the current issues? And how will this impact your Mileage balance.
Are you considering converting your miles into gift cards or other items "just in case"?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
Not sure if anyone has looked. But looks as if UA is bumping up the miles required for some of the award shopping, especially redeeming miles for gift cards.

Example. $500 Home Depot gift card used to cost 78,124 miles. Today it now cost 166,666 miles- a 133% increase. I'm guessing a less known back door way to save some cash during the current time during COVID-19.
Lowes and REI are still at the 78,124 level right now.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by zig666
What are your thoughts on how United will weather the current issues? And how will this impact your Mileage balance. ...
Likely not an issue, mileage has been "safe" (perhaps devalued) in past crises.
Originally Posted by zig666
Are you considering converting your miles into gift cards or other items "just in case"?
too late, UA already has effectively killed that avenue for many of the gift cards with increasing the redemption mileage over 100%. And the old rates were very poor values to start with.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
redemptions

Redemptions are dead easy right now + UA is waiving the cancellation fees. If not now, when ?
Using miles for buying an i Pad Pro ? Every time I look at these options, I don't see the value ?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Redemptions are dead easy right now + UA is waiving the cancellation fees. If not now, when ?
Using miles for buying an i Pad Pro ? Every time I look at these options, I don't see the value ?
These options have value for someone short on cash (lots of people now).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:24 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
It looks like they increased the redemption rates for Apple products again. Assuming they are seeing people cashing in or they would not be upping the rates.

I ordered 512GB Mac mini 2 weeks ago... it was 146,600 miles (before tax) today that same model is 275,800 miles (before tax) paying cash it costs $1,099 (before tax).

Yes the rate for miles use was bad using the traditional value, but for me it was reducing exposure, I have seen the value of my miles decrease year on year.... I have plenty of CSR points if I need to increase my UA MP balance. I redeemed about 276,800 of my UA miles for 2 iPads and a Mac mini (maybe 1/3 of my balance), in contrast my last miles redemption was 265,000 for a J EWR-BLR-EWR, so vs that it does not feel like a bad value.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Looks like they recently decreased redemption value overall. The coffee machine I mentioned earlier on page 2 was previously ~160k miles and is now listed for 291k. Bose QC 700 were previously ~57k miles and is now listed for 100k miles.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tht
It looks like they increased the redemption rates for Apple products again. Assuming they are seeing people cashing in or they would not be upping the rates.

I ordered 512GB Mac mini 2 weeks ago... it was 146,600 miles (before tax) today that same model is 275,800 miles (before tax) paying cash it costs $1,099 (before tax).

Yes the rate for miles use was bad using the traditional value, but for me it was reducing exposure, I have seen the value of my miles decrease year on year.... I have plenty of CSR points if I need to increase my UA MP balance. I redeemed about 276,800 of my UA miles for 2 iPads and a Mac mini (maybe 1/3 of my balance), in contrast my last miles redemption was 265,000 for a J EWR-BLR-EWR, so vs that it does not feel like a bad value.
Apparently you are correct, the Apple Watch I ordered for my wife is now 45,000 miles higher.

On a bright note, tracking info says it will arrive Thursday which is pretty quick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.