Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 9:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by p100a
Is United providing meals etc to transcon/domestic FC flights are going the Delta route and throwing out a bag of cheetos and water? I read AA did not cheapen the service, but what DL has done is atrocious.
UA is in the middle on this

We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.
More in the wiki or Safety updates to inflight dining
Old May 23, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
On my recent 5.5hr DL1 transcon the FAs brought their cart into first class where 8 of us were seated (50%) and offered snack boxes and only water. Absolutely ridiculous. They're touching the carts and boxes... Whats the difference than if it's a standard meal tray and a small bottle of wine? I assume from this thread that UA is slightly better and in between AA And DL. The reason I ask is because I see no reason to remain loyal to one carrier right now with status extended to 2021 if one is going to cheapen the product so much that is like flying on Spirit when I buy a FC fare.
leoo, FlyDeltaMD88 and Redmax like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by p100a
On my recent 5.5hr DL1 transcon the FAs brought their cart into first class where 8 of us were seated (50%) and offered snack boxes and only water. Absolutely ridiculous. They're touching the carts and boxes... Whats the difference than if it's a standard meal tray and a small bottle of wine? I assume from this thread that UA is slightly better and in between AA And DL. The reason I ask is because I see no reason to remain loyal to one carrier right now with status extended to 2021 if one is going to cheapen the product so much that is like flying on Spirit when I buy a FC fare.
Answering your bolded question - none. You cannot get coronavirus from food, and provided the crew wear masks and gloves and refrain from touching their face with the gloved hands and make sure gloves are changed frequently and specifically after accidentally touching something contaminated like a table tray, there is almost zero risk of transmission. This has nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with money. The difference is the transparency:

1. Delta - "we ain't got no money, so we can't serve you anything but when we have money, we will serve you like before"
2. United - "health and safety are the most important thing, so to keep you healthy and safe, we're not going to serve you anything now, and don't ask when or if we will ever serve you again"

The difference is the level of respect each company shows to its customers - Delta at least assumes we're all somewhat intelligent and can comprehend what's going on and will be understanding or at least be sufficiently informed before deciding on where to spend our money, while United comes up with a bunch of BS nonsense to justify what are essentially the same changes for the same reasons. It's a playbook from the old Vicki Escarra School of Marketing - "our customers told us the seatbelts are a little tight, so to help make our flights more comfortable for everyone, we will stop all inflight service".
Old May 23, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Food and Beverage Offerings

We’re paring down to essential onboard food and beverage options in an effort to reduce physical touch points between customers and employees.

As always, you are welcome to bring your own refreshments on board to enjoy during flight. Since many airport offerings are limited at this time, we recommend packing your own food items and encourage you to review TSA guidelines, opens in a new window before bringing food through security checkpoints.

All the airlines including DL is marketing / headlining their present food service changes as a safety issue. And of course there is an expense saving. Any other nuance is just spin.

And DL is being called out just as strong on the safety message in DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Old May 23, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Answering your bolded question - none. You cannot get coronavirus from food, and provided the crew wear masks and gloves and refrain from touching their face with the gloved hands and make sure gloves are changed frequently and specifically after accidentally touching something contaminated like a table tray, there is almost zero risk of transmission. This has nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with money. The difference is the transparency:

1. Delta - "we ain't got no money, so we can't serve you anything but when we have money, we will serve you like before"
2. United - "health and safety are the most important thing, so to keep you healthy and safe, we're not going to serve you anything now, and don't ask when or if we will ever serve you again"

The difference is the level of respect each company shows to its customers - Delta at least assumes we're all somewhat intelligent and can comprehend what's going on and will be understanding or at least be sufficiently informed before deciding on where to spend our money, while United comes up with a bunch of BS nonsense to justify what are essentially the same changes for the same reasons. It's a playbook from the old Vicki Escarra School of Marketing - "our customers told us the seatbelts are a little tight, so to help make our flights more comfortable for everyone, we will stop all inflight service".
Can you provide reference material that drives the divergent conclusions for Delta and United?
Old May 23, 2020, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
Can you provide reference material that drives the divergent conclusions for Delta and United?
If you're a Delta Skymiles member, as many on this forum are, then you've received the same emails that I have. It's a not a stretch to see the extreme difference in marketing communications quality and focus between the two companies.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Here’s AA LAX-JFK for reference this past week (full bar and real wine bottles with lots of refills in-flight)....amenity kits too just no noise cancelling headphones.

4 real meal options!

Old May 24, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you're a Delta Skymiles member, as many on this forum are, then you've received the same emails that I have. It's a not a stretch to see the extreme difference in marketing communications quality and focus between the two companies.
I see almost identical focuses on health and safety in the communications from Delta and United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2020 at 10:10 am Reason: Focus on the issue; not the poster
Old May 24, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly18725
I see almost identical focuses on health and safety in the communications from Delta and United.
I've seen similar tone in the emails from both DL & UA, although interestingly I've been getting more of these types of communications from DL (even just as a SkyMiles general member) over the past few months than from UA.
Old May 25, 2020, 7:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I took my first UA flights since COVID last week.

- RDU-ORD (E75): No service at all in either cabin. The extremely rude First Class FA who complained throughout boarding that she had to work and mocked a passenger for using a handiwipe on her window to her face stayed in the rear galley the entire flight.
- ORD-LNK (CRJ): No service.
- LNK-ORD (ER4): All passengers received a mini bottle of Dasani Water
- ORD-RDU (E75): Service in Y was on request only. Service in F was soft drinks though no ice was catered and a snack box choice. The snack box was interesting as during normal times this flight does not get one. At least I got one good flight out of 4.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:00 pm

Transcon United Business

What can I expect for UA1671 in Business Class this week? Not the 787-8, but a 737-800.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cpm013
What can I expect for UA1671 in Business Class this week? Not the 787-8, but a 737-800.
For in-flight service, the aircraft type does not matter --- but the seat type is different

in-flight per UA
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. ....
Old May 25, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cpm013
Is the is a premium transcon being operated on a 738? If so why?
Old May 25, 2020, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Is the is a premium transcon being operated on a 738? If so why?
There is a mixture of aircraft being used for those routes, already discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-flights.html so best to follow up there and not take this thread off-topic,
Old May 26, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Ewr-iad-fra-muc

Just did this route on 5/25.

EWR - IAD: only one security line open at EWR (but included Clear), no pre-check, no lounges, Dunkin Donuts and one of the Hudson News type places open in the middle concourse. No bars or restaurants as such doing takeaway. Onboard received a small bottle of water, and was then offered a drink - beer or wine, no ice available.

IAD - FRA: One United Club lounge was open (one opposite C4 was closed). Chips, pretzels and cookie snacks only. Regular bar service. Subway was open and I took one on board. On board, no PDB, in the air, beer and wine only, no ice, no liquor, no physical food menus (but you know the scoop... short rib, fish...). Breakfast was described as a "sandwich", but was pretty gross. Following landing at FRA, waited at gate for 15 minutes for baggage to be offloaded (supposedly), then deplaned "those with connections first" (!)

All airports were very quiet, and surreal. At EWR, there were more police and security than anything else. Mask usage was good in the US. Bizarrely, in Germany was much less than I thought it would be.

Was bizarre to be reminded about social distancing and keeping 6 feet apart on the jetbridge, to then get on a plane where there were 8 people sitting within touching distance from you for an extended period.

First and Polaris felt safe enough...planes were also more full than I thought they would be.

Safe travels....

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.