Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much of your money does UA hold right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
For schedule changes/cancellations >6 hours on wholly DOMESTIC US itineraries, UA should be refunding (look under Schedule Change table).
https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...6000006V2voEAC

For schedule changes/cancellations >6 hours on involving international itineraries, UA is providing credit. However, if flight departs EU on schedule changes/cancellations >5 hours, they are going against EC261/2004 if not refunding.
Notice of Passenger RIghts provided under EC261/2004 is linked on UA page.
Print Wikipost

How much of your money does UA hold right now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have about $7K but those are not because of refunds for cancellations but more of comps or change of routings resulted in refunds from fare differences. I have completed all my paid travel except for a return leg from IAD to SIN (suppose to be Tuesday this week), but could not travel due to travel restrictions imposed.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 26, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:59 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
As all of this started to pick up momentum in Europe I booked all my out travel in refundable fares. I have about $2,500 in credits (mostly Z fares) from stuff booked months ago that I ended up having to scrap. The scarier thing was the day I called to cancel ~$11K in refundable fares I was told by 3 different agents that their system was down and they couldn't refund fares currently and it wouldn't work online either. All sorts of conspiracies about hoarding cash started coming to mind. Happy to report my Visa had the reversals posted yesterday, about a week after I finally got an agent to refund the itineraries.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
$1580.66 in travel vouchers.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
$0 since I moved all my spend to DL post-UA Mileage Plus cuts.

So glad I no longer have a business relationship with this shady, unethical airline. Meanwhile, I had flights totalling around ~$1000 with DL that I was able to get a full refund with ease.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: *G, AA, UA 1 Million
United Refund policy sucks..

Just received a letter from Swiss Air (have a booking with them), they should be the model for all airlines to use during this situation.

United is giving you the sleeves out of their vest.. Very disappointing..

American gave me a management directed full refund because I "fly them a lot".

United gave me a credit for 2 tickets. Pure nonsense....
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GlobalServices1
United Refund policy sucks..
What sucks? I just posted above and others as well that UA will give you a refund if you politely insist.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
I was originally offered a voucher for a very expensive non-refundable ticket purchased well before March. United canceled the UA segments and offered a booking on ANA that I declined. After a very cordial conversation where I pointed out the 2 day trip involved a canceled meeting, I was connected with a supervisor who instantly pushed the refund button. When this COVID-19 stuff ends, I will return to UA simply because they did the right thing. The funds returned to my credit card account within a few days.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by nigos
I was originally offered a voucher for a very expensive non-refundable ticket purchased well before March. United canceled the UA segments and offered a booking on ANA that I declined. After a very cordial conversation where I pointed out the 2 day trip involved a canceled meeting, I was connected with a supervisor who instantly pushed the refund button. When this COVID-19 stuff ends, I will return to UA simply because they did the right thing. The funds returned to my credit card account within a few days.
That’s great to hear but this seems to be a rare case these days. I’m sure being GS helps too!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctbarron
That’s great to hear but this seems to be a rare case these days. I’m sure being GS helps too!
Maybe it has changed with the bailout news. I'm not GS, just a lowly 1MM Gold. And I did not have to get transferred to a supervisor. I just politely insisted and refused the offer of vouchers.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: *G, AA, UA 1 Million
Originally Posted by stimpy
What sucks? I just posted above and others as well that UA will give you a refund if you politely insist.
Why should I politely insist?
Why don't they treat everyone the same and just do it?
United is continually screwing its best customers.
My basis for that statement is 2,000,000 miles over 35 years.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlobalServices1
Why should I politely insist?
Why don't they treat everyone the same and just do it?
United is continually screwing its best customers.
My basis for that statement is 2,000,000 miles over 35 years.
Because being polite with a customer service agent is the key to getting what you want. And I too am one of their best customer and feel grateful rather than screwed.
FlyngSvyr likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
[clip]

--

For me it is a bit over $4k total (taxes inclusive), mostly ETCs and pending refunds. I'm sure for some others it is much more.
Reversal posted (or in process of posting) to card — down to just over $2k.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Had to travel fairly heavy during much of this but UA hold a little over $1K and my AS "wallet" has a little over $2K in it. Some of the above figures are staggering. I was able to still fly a bit last week but now basically zippo. I fly in and out of Hawaii a lot on business and with the new quarantine rules in place that has completed stopped until the quarantine is lifted.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Think my exposure over three cancelled tickets is around $4k. Hope I get to fly them this fall.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
$0 in non-refundable tickets.

For that I mostly have UAs Mileplay promotion to thank. Probably would have bought a bunch of tickets for 2Q 2020 during January/February, but was holding out hoping for a good offer. By the time the offers were coming out (late February/early March?), the travel situation was already beginning to look precarious, and was no longer interested in buying new tickets.

After reading about the (lack of) refunds debacle on the other thread, turns out that it saved me cold hard cash instead of the slight chance of a few miles being thrown my way. Thanks Mileplay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.