Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Also, bear in mind the situation is very fluid. An airline bailout package (similar to the way the auto industry was bailed out after the financial crisis) is a distinct possibility down the road.
In the current political environment, any corporation that stakes is future on a federal bailout is making a bad bet.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
I don't care about lower fares but would love to see lower load factors and less overcrowding in the clubs and the terminals in general, but for the time being, I haven't seen that really materialize.
good luck with that.

Sorry, the lower load factors are from days long ago, and aren’t coming back. It took them a long time, but airlines finally learned that market share isn’t worth chasing exclusively when it lowered profit. Now the focus is on profit, which means they aren’t going back to the days of hourly flights that are cheap to make sure that, say, UA is able to pick up customers over DL on a given route, while sending out half empty planes. And packing in the seats, while they’re at it.

Airlines at some point realized that rather than chase each other for most capacity while dropping fares to encourage more passengers for them, etc., it makes more sense to limit capacity to what they need, carry fewer passengers on a given route, with higher profits from higher fares that brings. And they had more planes to deploy on other routes they hadn’t served before. Add in the extra fees, and airlines have finally been making big $ again. You don’t think they would really give that up, do you?

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think the party line is that the customers who are leaving aren't price sensitive (no amount of fare slashing will get back the people who are worried about exposure to sensitive individuals after travel), so any fare cuts will just make things worse. IIRC a Southwest exec said this, and I assume it became industry consensus.
this.

take me for example. Two trips. One - domestic - was canceled (events canceled - no point in going anymore, though I suppose we could). Expensive fare that is being reimbursed, though this fare leaving Fri. has lowered to a reasonable amount, though I wouldn’t call it cheap. one international (to Caribbean - first time we were supposed to go in 10 years!) for spring break for the family - two relatively young adults and two kids. Not really worried about getting sick ourselves - we’re not in a group that would be high risk to have serious consequences (fever isn’t fun, of course, but we are relatively healthy and young). More worried about being quarantined somehow - country becomes a hotspot, someone on the flight starts coughing and sets off a panic, or our 2 year old gets a fever because, well, she’s a two year old, so not odd - and that causes a panic based on the current environment. Not a high risk, IMO, but the consequences would be great if it did happen. It’s not a risk I want to take at the moment. Low fares (which our flight was NOT) isn’t much of a factor - the waived change fee helps as it makes the change very low cost - we’ll use the credit by the end of the year for sure.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:27 am

People will still need to fly from A to B, and for many A's and B's UA will still be the only nonstop option available. They'll simply cut capacity, furlough crews, and increase award availability as necessary. Only if that doesn't help, they may consider (just consider) slightly lowering fares here and there. That way, a crisis would really have to last several months - which is extremely unlikely - to bring UA even remotely close to the brink of collapse. And then there will still be government aid, Chapter 11, etc.

Consider this a good exercise for the next recession.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
The American public sees the auto industry in a lot more favorable light than the airline industry. There was a lot more support for saving "American Made" cars than there probably is to save an industry that has repeatedly screwed over the customer at every turn.

Maybe the bad-will generated by a decade of baggage fees, minimal seat pitch, and poor customer service will be coming home to roost?
​​​​​​There's a big data point against your position: cabotage rules. If the public really viewed US airlines as horrible, you would see support for foreign competition coming in. Quite the opposite- basically every politician, even big time free traders, knows relaxing cabotage rules is political suicide. The public does not want the big 3 airlines to fail.
tuolumne and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
EWR-CPT was almost full Sunday night. UA is doing bad, but once the coronavirus fears dissipate, UA will recover.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by cjermain
In the current political environment, any corporation that stakes is future on a federal bailout is making a bad bet.
​​​​​​
Why? Stimulus packages usually pass in recessions and often contain bailouts.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA is able to pick up customers over DL on a given route
Well, many of the domestic routes I fly with UA don't have a nonstop DL or AA anymore, anyway. It definitely helps that - even with record profits - the market has become so stagnant that no real competitors have launched in a decade to grab a piece of that revenue pie. I agree that the lower load factors are (unfortunately) not coming back anytime soon.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Think they are sorry they screwed us 1k's last year? A lot of us switched our flying to other airlines or partners. I guess assuming that we would all continue to pay exorbitant rates and not notice that 1k had effectively doubled its requirements was not the smartest thing to do.

BTW, the world is on sale as a result of this. I have been booking trips like a mad man at killer rates.
Did I miss the announcement that Smisek returned as CEO?

Judging from their recent behavior they are not sorry for anything and continue to show their disdain for the passengers. It's like they just want your dollars and are annoyed they actually have to fly you anywhere.

- Sending email telling they won't do anything for existing elites but they will extend period for those on a challenge.
- Saying they don't need to refund if they change flight w/in a 25 hour window (up from 2).
- Waiving change fees for people who booked in March, but if you were a loyal flyer and booked in Feb - tough luck we want your 200 buck change fee.

I think some of these have been modified but that's only because of public or competitive pressure. I'm glad they kicked me out of 1k with their ridiculous changes to MP. UA deserves to get crushed and when they are open for business again, they will have alienated me so much that I will only fly UA if it's the only choice or I decide to burn my miles.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:37 am
st3

Programs: United MP
I flew UA1597 (TPA-DEN) on Saturday 3/7. F was completely booked and there were only a few seats in Y. Some routes are suffering more than others.

I know a lot of people want UA to crash and burn since they "kicked out" some elites with the MP changes but the truth is that all airlines are hurting right now.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by st3
I flew UA1597 (TPA-DEN) on Saturday 3/7. F was completely booked and there were only a few seats in Y. Some routes are suffering more than others.

I know a lot of people want UA to crash and burn since they "kicked out" some elites with the MP changes but the truth is that all airlines are hurting right now.
Yes. A lot of the routes to southern points are running close to full. Isn't United the largest US International carrier? That is the routes they appear to be really short of passengers.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I'm #20 on the upgrade list this Thursday as a 1K (hub to hub). Not seeing much reduction on my end
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Consider this an exercise for when the next recession strikes. As jsloan already mentioned, they simply don't need to cut prices. With their tight grip on a market that has been deprived of competition, the legacies can get by with just cutting capacity and increasing award availability, and they will still fill the remaining planes to the brim. In competitive markets like EMEA and Asia it's a whole different story and that's why you see LH slashing fares and crying for government assistance.
Eh, what I really said was that they'll try cutting capacity first. There's a limit to how much capacity can be cut, though. There are already some reports of fare sales, and there will be more if demand is as low as it appears to be. The airlines won't be able to avoid cutting fares to find a point where they can fill the planes. Also, opening up frequent flyer seats improves the bottom line but not the top line, and indications are that UA is hurting not just for profit but for cash. It may be better to take $200 in cash than to remove a $300 non-cash liability from the books.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that the US market is actually extremely competitive: you've got the US3 as international carriers, WN as a national carrier, AS and B6 as regional carriers, and F9, NK, G4, and SY as ULCCs. Yes, there may not be head-to-head nonstop competition on the majority of routes, but there are a lot more routes in the US than there are in most other countries too.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Same threads on AA and DL as well.

Bottom line is that all three (as well as other US carriers) are well aware that the US won't let them go under. If COVID issues point to insolvency, there will be a bailout. That may take many forms, including a "tax holiday" but there will be whatever it takes,

Problem is that the core business are corporate customers who are being directed not to travel. Offering an extra hot towel or whatever won't change that,
lsquare and A Little Cow like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp
​​​​​​
Why? Stimulus packages usually pass in recessions and often contain bailouts.
Political polarization and anti-corporate populism. Just look at the price various politicians paid for supporting the bailout after the financial crisis (https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/u...cs/11tarp.html) and things are worse now. One might argue that airlines are not as hated as financial institutions, and things are different in that the travel industry didn't bring the pandemic on themselves--and they'd be correct--but that should be little comfort to airline CEOs.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:03 am

Only if that doesn't help, they may consider (just consider) slightly lowering fares here and there.
I think you'll find fares have already cratered.

SFO-ORD is available right now in regular (not basic) economy for $104 one way. Dates are wide open.

Hawaii roundtrips still available below $300.

SFO-ATL as low as $97 roundtrip in basic.

Etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.