Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flying Withdrawal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I was supposed to be going to Roma tomorrow. That has been a very, very bitter pill to swallow. My upgrades even cleared on both TATL legs before I had to cancel.

I will say this though: last year was a very good time to finally hit 1MM status. Gold may not mean much this year, but it may well next year!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
The OP post really got me thinking the same exact thing as them.

I am stuck at home for a mandatory 14 days after flying back on UA2 SIN-SFO on Sunday and I am already going stir crazy and missing flying...

I love air disasters (mayday here in canada) and did a marathon yesterday, also having some wine haha

I really hope this blows over sooner rather than later I do not even want to plan a summer trip right now like who knows when things will even get back to normal...

I might do some reading, any good aviation books anyone can suggest (preferably ones I can get delivered to the door from amazon since I can't leave the house??)
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
NOT AT ALL!

Priorities change.

My scheduled trip this week would have me quarantined at destination for 2 weeks, on the way back (assuming the border hasn't closed), 2 more weeks upon arrival back to the US. At home taking care of my elderly mom with underlying health conditions is far better than traveling headaches and being quarantined for 4 weeks, at a minimum.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by haddon90
who is still flying? i know my business travel is shut down. are people still doing vaca travel?
Going DFW-DEN tomorrow night. My GF lives in Denver and as this thing looks like it may drag on for a while we'll be packing up some things and road tripping back to Dallas.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I've been catching myself checking flight status seat maps on city pairs I typically (used to) fly. My new 1K blue handle wrap is still in pristine shape. Maybe I'll wear one of the several pairs of UA pajamas I have and create a makeshift lay-flat seat with couch cushions. I'm sure I could find a white-noise app with in-flight cabin sounds and engine hum.

But no, I wouldn't say I'm going through withdrawal at all......
Xyzzy, econ, DCFlyIAD and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If I end up flying and I'm not in F, my plan is "board last and to heck with the seat assignment" and plop myself a few rows from anybody.
Woe be if that seat [moderator edit] gets on the intercom and says "Will Gray Anderson return to his assigned seat NOW!" lol

Originally Posted by iapetus
I was supposed to be going to Roma tomorrow. That has been a very, very bitter pill to swallow. My upgrades even cleared on both TATL legs before I had to cancel.

I will say this though: last year was a very good time to finally hit 1MM status. Gold may not mean much this year, but it may well next year!
And that Italian cabin attendant will greet you on arrival with a kiss on each cheek

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 19, 2020 at 10:23 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; edit of text Per FT Rule 16.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've only been grounded for a little while, so what I'm really missing is the anticipation. The only booking remaining on my schedule is our splurge summer vacation to Europe - we manage one every 3 years or so as a family. Doubt that will happen now. Flying is *still* an utter joy for me - a window seat to anywhere is one of life's true pleasures. I'm also isolated in my own home having had contact with known COVID-19 positives and all the symptoms to match (no testing because mainly mild symptoms and there aren't enough tests to go around so I don't want to be the jerk who takes one from someone whose treatment might be changed with diagnosis).

I will miss the flying, but I won't miss the hotel pillows. I will however, delight in the time I'm going to get with Mrs Cricketer and the Juniors. I can never get enough of that (though likely they can get enough of me!). There's a lot of wins to be found in the situation we are going to be in over the next few months (that's my current expectation), and I'm intending to embrace every single one of them. And as long as I don't look at what's left of my life savings, I'll come out of it in good shape.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I bought several boxes of Stroopwafels at Walmart so I am good for a few weeks :-)
drewguy and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
+5 for the Silvers that got upgrades on that flight!
Maybe the first five Silvers to get an upgrade since the merger
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
Originally Posted by whitethunder
The OP post really got me thinking the same exact thing as them.

I am stuck at home for a mandatory 14 days after flying back on UA2 SIN-SFO on Sunday and I am already going stir crazy and missing flying...

I love air disasters (mayday here in canada) and did a marathon yesterday, also having some wine haha

I really hope this blows over sooner rather than later I do not even want to plan a summer trip right now like who knows when things will even get back to normal...

I might do some reading, any good aviation books anyone can suggest (preferably ones I can get delivered to the door from amazon since I can't leave the house??)
"We Are Going In: The Story of the Grand Canyon Disaster"
Amazon Amazon

Great read. t
whitethunder likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2020 at 1:48 am Reason: quote formatting
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Forgive me FT for I have sinned. It’s been 7 days since my last flight. I have watched with envy as others continue to fly and impure thoughts at the ones that have caused me to reschedule my TPAC that was scheduled in two weeks
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
So I stopped flying end of January as my first trip was supposed to be my PVG/HKG quarterly trip. Things starting get strange after that, I only had one flight in February as all my meetings were starting to become virtual, very strange for me. 1 flight in March just 8 days ago, wow how things have changes in just 8 days. Now, I dare not get trapped on the road if a total shutdown happens, which I do not think is out of them realm of possibility. That said, I am not sure if I am going stir crazy being trapped with 3 lovely ladies in my house, or am I simply experiencing withdraw from being in the sky. I find myself having Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel as my background sound in my home office every afternoon, and even caught myself watching Airplane about 1 am last night, yes it could have been the 5th bottle of wine we polished off, but I assuming that something else is going on. I miss being glared at for trying to board with GS forgetting I am a 1K, The pleasant surprise of an aircraft upgrade to a 788 out of IAD to DEN, cutting through long security lines, or even calling UA for a last minute schedule change (I'll bet they miss me too), also I am having nightmares about overhead bin space in my closet (My Tumi's are suffocating under dust up there) and how fare codes are disappearing in my refrigerator. Worse yet, I have now found I am only drinking hard alcohol from the travel size containers I have collected for the last decade, and without a lime even. I am starting to think this is withdraw, and I suspect I am not alone here. Disclaimer: Yes this is a very serious issue and I wish everyone the best including those who ferry this eclectic group in steel tubes across the skies, but that said, the first day the restrictions are lifted I suspect I am going to have to get on a flight to EWR just to feel normal again, well that and I am still hoping I can make my GS challenge in April.
Love air disasters and the Smithsonian channel... my wife can not understand why I would watch Air Disasters the night before getting on a long haul flight.
I always tell her.. I would like to have some idea as to why the plane is going down.
I have tired National Geographic channel for :To catch a Smuggler" it shows airports around the world, where the airport staff catch passengers trying to smuggle drugs..
I highly recommend that.. (I was tape the shows, so that I can skip the ads)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2020 at 10:18 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-PL, Hilton-Diamond, Marriot-Gold, IHG-Plat
I was only home 1 day a week, sometimes 2. Been home a week now, all travel thru end of April cancelled. Getting antsy. Ready to go again. Been checking the UA app for the still scheduled flights. They changed aircraft for the May 1 to LHR flight so I got to actually do something. Pick seats.

I asked my wife if she can stand me being home for 6 weeks. She said yes. We will see.
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by GLOBALFLYERCT
Early entry to meetings, fresh ground self service coffee but no Stroopwafels
The stores here still have plenty Stroopwafels... But I'm missing Biscoff's a bit, so I'm mixing it up...

Originally Posted by u600213
I bought several boxes of Stroopwafels at Walmart so I am good for a few weeks :-)
Well, given that the baker has Belgian roots, that's why UA has kept BRU on the list and dropped AMS...

Originally Posted by mshukayr
I was only home 1 day a week, sometimes 2. Been home a week now, all travel thru end of April cancelled. Getting antsy. Ready to go again. Been checking the UA app for the still scheduled flights. They changed aircraft for the May 1 to LHR flight so I got to actually do something. Pick seats.
I think Microsoft could add a passenger feature to their new Flight Simulator software for all of us FT-junkies...
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:53 am

I landed from my last flight exactly one week ago and I am already having withdrawals. I qualified 1k on that trip home and it's depressing looking at the United app with no upcoming flights to try and use my plus points on. I also echo the sentiment that working virtually is much more difficult, I am basically working third shift right now with my partners in Asia trying to keep projects moving. Hopefully we can get through this and are back to flying by mid to late summer. Stay safe everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.