Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop stolen mid air on UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
A friend was on a work trip to Russia and was in coach in the window seat of a three-seat configuration.

Got up to go the bathroom. Came back, climbed over the folks to get back to his seat. iPad that he had put in the seatback pocket was gone.

He immediately asks the people next to him, "who took my iPad?" The response was essentially "nobody saw anything."

How do you steal something out of the seatback of the window seat? Obviously the neighbours were either in on it or knew who do it.

This was the answer he gave me when I asked: "how was your trip to Russia?"
atword and delpiero223 like this.

Last edited by DMSFCA; Mar 18, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Surprisingly my laptop has never been pilfered from the overhead during dozens of TATL and TPAC flights. Perhaps it would be more noticeable in the business class cabins where everyone pretty much has personal space overhead. When flying economy I often leave my ipad on my seat when I used the lav but I guess I am tempting fate.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have been flying for nearly 30 years on business and have never had any item stolen from my briefcase/laptop case. Yes, when I started I carried a briefcase because laptop computers were not really available. I got my first business laptop around 1995. Whether I keep the laptop in the bag or am using it and place it in the seat or seatback it has never been taken. I always check my bag to make sure the computer is in there before deplaning. Make no mistake I would report a missing laptop to the flight crew and let the Captain make an announcement to return it. It is too bad the OP had their laptop taken. That really is unfortunate.
Loren Pechtel and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
A friend was on a work trip to Russia and was in coach in the window seat of a three-seat configuration.

Got up to go the bathroom. Came back, climbed over the folks to get back to his seat. iPad that he had put in the seatback pocket was gone.

He immediately asks the people next to him, "who took my iPad?" The response was essentially "nobody saw anything."

How do you steal something out of the seatback of the window seat? Obviously the neighbours were either in on it or knew who do it.

This was the answer he gave me when I asked: "how was your trip to Russia?"
Your friend should have told them he knows The Machine (Bert Kreischer).
jupper likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pavan Juvvadi
After getting off the flight, I went to work directly, only to realize my laptop missing from the bag.
How did the OP not realize his computer bag
was empty until they were at work?...something is wrong with this story IMO
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by featheroleather
How did the OP not realize his computer bag
was empty until they were at work?...something is wrong with this story IMO
My computer bag / rolling briefcase (with wheels and expanding handle) is sufficiently heavy (7 lbs + another 3-4 lbs of additional items) and my computer is sufficient light (under 2 lbs), I would not be able to tell by weight it is missing.
jsloan and Loren Pechtel like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2020 at 10:11 pm Reason: actual weights
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I cannot imagine storing a wallet or passport or important medication in an overhead bin. As a fashion careless man, I alway travel with cargo shorts or cargo slacks with everything zippered or velcroed into pockets. Admittedly, this is not 100% safe against a skilled pickpocket, but not many skilled pickpockets work planes. Also, in the event of an emergency evacuation I wouldn't be the criminal holding up the evacuation to get my wallet or passport or medication out of the overhead. Yes, I suppose my laptop could get stolen from the overhead bin out of my carryon, but if it is all backed up it wouldn't be all that bad, especially discounted by the small chance of it happening.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonsail
...As a fashion careless man...in the event of an emergency evacuation....
Fashion careless? I always wear a fanny pack with the stuff when I fly for the same reason
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Passport is different than laptop. I always sleep on my passport, phone and wallet, either in my jeans or in a Scottvest. Would never leave in overhead as you will need it if there is emergency evac. Not too comfortable to sleep on laptop. However if you are in C and you have a pocket near your feet that is not accessible from aisle (or another compartment) you can often store iPads there.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Passport is different than laptop. I always sleep on my passport, phone and wallet, either in my jeans or in a Scottvest. Would never leave in overhead as you will need it if there is emergency evac. Not too comfortable to sleep on laptop. However if you are in C and you have a pocket near your feet that is not accessible from aisle (or another compartment) you can often store iPads there.
I wouldn't do it just because of how dirty those pockets can get.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
So sorry to hear this OP.

I will never forget hearing the sound of a laptop screen crush when someone rearranged a laptop bag in an overhead bin and then shoved their roll aboard in there. Overhead bins usually get big heavy items wedged in there and anything of great value should be kept at your seat. Also, if you arent watching very closely, some bags may be moved around and leave them vulnerable. For this reason, I often place things in the overhead bin across the aisle from my seat, and slightly forward, when possible. Especially if you are in a window seat. From there, you can keep an eye on your items because you can physically see it.
iluv2fly, lsquare and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
If you are going to sleep put locks on your bags (at least on compartments that have expensive items) even if its just looping through rope and not metal on a bag.

Will it stop everybody? No, but the goal of any sort of preventive measure like locking your bag is to deter 99% of theft. If your bag is too difficult to get into someone will move on to the next one. (Same idea that if you lock your car someone will most likely move on to the next car until they find one unlocked)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.