Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

of all the airlines that I fly, why is UA the only one that checks my US passport?

of all the airlines that I fly, why is UA the only one that checks my US passport?

Old Mar 20, 20, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

of all the airlines that I fly, why is UA the only one that checks my US passport? (when I'm departing from the US)

all the other airlines are okay if I present my valid foreign passport when departing from the US.(with that foreign country as my final destination)

UA is the only one that checks my foreign passport and then demand to see my US passport as well. (at least when I depart or connect at ORD, SFO, EWR)

There was an agent at the UA counter who said that she would deny me boarding if I didn't show her my US passport. (after I showed her my foreign passport on a departing nonstop flight to that foreign nation)
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
of all the airlines that I fly, why is UA the only one that checks my US passport? (when I'm departing from the US)

all the other airlines are okay if I present my valid foreign passport when departing from the US.(with that foreign country as my final destination)

UA is the only one that checks my foreign passport and then demand to see my US passport as well. (at least when I depart or connect at ORD, SFO, EWR)

There was an agent at the UA counter who said that she would deny me boarding if I didn't show her my US passport. (after I showed her my foreign passport on a departing nonstop flight to that foreign nation)
That's certainly a weird one. My wife routinely exits the US using her Irish passport when traveling to the EU. Never had an issue on AA, BA, or EI.

What does UA customer service say?
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:49 pm

Do you check in online with your US passport?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you hold a US passport, all of your travel in and out of the US is on your US passport, by federal law. Some airlines are more concerned about this than others.
Xyzzy, PTahCha, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Never happens to my partner.
She always departs USA for home on her Australian passport but from a small Midwest town.
But guess her two passports are in the UA system somewhere.
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Do you check in online with your US passport?
That was my thought... is that passport number the one he has listed in his profile on MP? They may just be trying to match it to what's on their system.
atword likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy View Post
That was my thought... is that passport number the one he has listed in his profile on MP? They may just be trying to match it to what's on their system.
It probably has to do with the passport in the flyer's record. You could remove the US passport and try adding the other one to see what happens next time.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 8:06 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Vangrovsky, what on earth for would you want to check in with the foreign passport?

I thought the system always goes this way when going to the EU from the US:

When departing the US the US passport is presented at each point.

When landing, the EU passport is presented.

At departure, you give the airline counter your US passport and at the boarding gate. Only place EU passport is presented is at exit immigration.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA once let me fly internationally without checking my passport. The joke was on me when I arrived at the foreign destination though and found that I brought two expired passports with me instead of at least one valid one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
“At departure, you give the airline counter your US passport and at the boarding gate”
Well that wouldn’t work if flying to Australia and you have dual USA/ Australian citizenship as you wouldn’t have a visa (ETA) in your USA passport and would be potentially denied boarding.
My partner always leaves the USA on her Australian passport. Never presented the USA one, nor ever been asked for it.
When flying to the USA from Australia she presents USA passport for check in and then her Australian passport for all other formalities (except the security quiz that sometimes takes place at the gate where American citizens seem to be exempt).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:00 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by grapegrower View Post
At departure, you give the airline counter your US passport and at the boarding gate
Well that wouldnt work if flying to Australia and you have dual USA/ Australian citizenship as you wouldnt have a visa (ETA) in your USA passport and would be potentially denied boarding.
My partner always leaves the USA on her Australian passport. Never presented the USA one, nor ever been asked for it.
When flying to the USA from Australia she presents USA passport for check in and then her Australian passport for all other formalities (except the security quiz that sometimes takes place at the gate where American citizens seem to be exempt).
I was talking ex-EU.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If you hold a US passport, all of your travel in and out of the US is on your US passport, by federal law.
It's only required for entry, not for exit.

Originally Posted by grapegrower View Post
I do the same with my Canadian passport. For some reason, United agents have never been trained about Nexus cards.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Vangrovsky, what on earth for would you want to check in with the foreign passport?
Perhaps because the foreign passport could have very different visa requirements, or could be the passport that the OP has a visa on. May not be the case here, but the point is there could be a very valid reason for doing it that way.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
It's only required for entry, not for exit.
Legally it's required for both. From https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185 :

Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.
TradingFiend likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Legally it's required for both. From https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185
I suspect that article is outdated. For example, the Nexus program specifically says you do not need to have your U.S. or Canadian passport when using your Nexus card.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I suspect that article is outdated. For example, the Nexus program specifically says you do not need to have your U.S. or Canadian passport when using your Nexus card.
That's because it's a defined program.

Search this Thread