Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop stolen mid air on UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
On some airlines, I dont remember if it was SriLankan or Ethiopian Airlines, they reminded everyone as part of the safety briefing to not keep valuables like cash and passport in the overhead bins.
Sri Lankan definitely do this, can't speak for Ethiopian as never flown with them.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fivevsone
I always put my bag above the opposite seats so I can see when someone opens bin. Obviously doesn’t help during sleep, but it’s my standard practice.
I do the same. Also, any valuables are in a bag under the seat.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I don't think it's unusual. One of my friends flying back to Italy shortly before Christmas woke up in the middle of the night to find a woman looking in the overhead bin above her seat.

A few years ago somebody stole my toiletry bag out of my backpack, surely oblivious to the fact it contained nothing but my razor and toothbrush. Since then I have been putting everything at my feet.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Sri Lankan definitely do this, can't speak for Ethiopian as never flown with them.
Yes and especially on the China flights. I asked the crew and they said it's a common occurrence and if reported before disembarking they hold the passengers and get them searched and have caught many thieves like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by jsloan
Ever since the story broke a few years ago about an Air France flight attendant who was caught pilfering through sleeping passengers' belongings, I put a lock on my bag if I'm putting it in the overhead, especially if I'm planning to sleep. They're hardly foolproof, but it seems like it'd be enough of a deterrent to make a potential thief move on to another target.
This Air France story is also what spurred me to do the same thing. Sometimes it's a pain to fiddle with a lock, but if it scares thieves off my bag, it's worth it.
jsloan and cawhite like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:25 pm

As the expression goes, "There are two kinds of people. Those who backup, and those who will." Sorry this happened to you.
seenitall likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
When traveling overseas I always wear money belt to store cash, passport, credit cards, other valuables and pants with big enclosed pockets to store wallet and phones. I never put valuables in the overhead bins except my MBA. Maybe business class helps a little bit but not always because of the news that some organized thefts just target premium cabin passengers on Middle East to HKG flights.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
My wife teases me but the pocket of the carry on with our passports and backup credit cards (the ones we don't keep in our wallets) is always locked with a travel lock on the plan.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This is a good reminder of never being trusting. The laptop theft seems pretty bold on an airplane, but that’s easier to replace than a passport, documents, or even cash I sometimes have. Never had this happen but this thread reminds me to be much more careful.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jsloan
Ever since the story broke a few years ago about an Air France flight attendant who was caught pilfering through sleeping passengers' belongings, I put a lock on my bag if I'm putting it in the overhead, especially if I'm planning to sleep. They're hardly foolproof, but it seems like it'd be enough of a deterrent to make a potential thief move on to another target.

OP: Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the other things that have been mentioned, note that if you have renters' or homeowners' insurance, your loss may be covered; also, some credit card travel protection benefits cover items that are lost or stolen on board.
I lost a laptop in a similar situation a couple of years ago and the insurance claim was easy and quick, for the full value. Thanks State Farm!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Oh, someone didn’t just fly with you, but decided to work.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I always ask myself if I must use a laptop during an early part of a flight, which means that others see it and see where I store it. It's the same principle as putting something into the trunk of your car before driving rather than upon reaching a parking place.

Once I observed a passenger who came up from coach going through a bunch of business class bins and yes I said something. Another time I woke up to find a FA on a TPAC flight going through stuff in my seat back pocket (aisle seat in business class, not a suite) and I made a big fuss although she *said* that she was looking for a newspaper to give to someone in coach who had requested it.
SPN Lifer and kilo like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Client of mine got his laptop stolen on a UA flight last year. Feel a little for the guy who stole it, as the client worked for a high security government agency, and the laptop had a tracker on it. They caught the guy same day.
SPN Lifer, cawhite, Xyzzy and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
When will we see security cameras on planes? Not advocating it necessarily, but as much as they are proliferating elsewhere...
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hopefully never.

This is a problem with a simple solution. Presuming that one would find it hard to board with a lock cutter or a box cutter to chop through the lock or a bag and even harder to do all of this in view of crew and passengers, a $3 lock will solve all but the most significant targeted thefts.

Unless one is in a bulkhead row or -- on some non-US carriers, an exit row, a small laptop bag should be placed, in any event, under the seat in front of you.
SPN Lifer, kilo and Loren Pechtel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.